Die Hard is not ABOUT christmas. Its ABOUT a robbery, that happens to take place DURING christmas.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It could have just as easily occurred any time of the year. On top of which its set in Los Angeles which is the least christmasty town in America, aside from maybe Las Vegas.
Ergo: Die Hard is not a christmas movie. Neither is Lethal Weapon.

By contrast The Nightmare Before Christmas is about a guy who tries to co-op christmas because of the warm fuzzy he gets during that special time of year. It is therefore, a christmas movie.

Shit, at least Die Hard 2 had SNOW!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You do realize that it would have been a lot tougher for terrorists to invade that office building without having a Christmas party as cover, right?

Reactions: sandorski

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You do realize that it would have been a lot tougher for terrorists to invade that office building without having a Christmas party as cover, right?
Go back and watch the movie. They had no "cover". They just invaded the building. And even if you were right, it didnt need to be a christmas party. it could have been any sort of corporate nonsense that provided cover.
The movie is not about christmas. its about a robbery. the robbery happens to take place on christmas.

Reactions: snoopy7548

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Go back and watch the movie. They had no "cover". They just invaded the building. And even if you were right, it didnt need to be a christmas party. it could have been any sort of corporate nonsense that provided cover.
The movie is not about christmas. its about a robbery. the robbery happens to take place on christmas.

Grinch movie for Adults. McClain even has a XMas miracle with his estranged Wife...like XMas gifts the thrill wears off, but that's just the Plot layers contributing to the excellence of this Holiday blockbuster...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Grinch movie for Adults. McClain even has a XMas miracle with his estranged Wife...like XMas gifts the thrill wears off, but that's just the Plot layers contributing to the excellence of this Holiday blockbuster...
There is no grinch. there is a gang of professional robbers.
And he didnt have a miracle with his estranged wife, but we dont know how badly things went until the third movie.
Its kinda sad.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There is no grinch. there is a gang of professional robbers.
And he didnt have a miracle with his estranged wife, but we dont know how badly things went until the third movie.
Its kinda sad.

The XMas Ghost of McClane will visit you one day. Just sayin...

Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Not sure if you watched the movie, but the thieves did all the work themselves - they didn't even need Mr. Kawasaki, as evidenced by the fact that Alan Rickman shot him in the head before he gave any information.

The only thing that the terrorists needed, which they got as a result of all the shenanigans, was the power being cut to the area, which allowed the seventh lock to be deactivated. I imagine these highly-sophisticated terrorists would have figured out how to handle that if the FBI wasn't there to do it for them.

They just as (well, even more) easily could have broken into the building at 1a.m. on a random night, when the building was empty, and gotten what they wanted.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
this reminds me, i need to watch that nic cage christmas movie, "the family man"

it's my annual tradition of celebrating another financially comfortable but emotionally isolated holiday season

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's an intersectional movie. It combines class-resentment with a defiant reassertion of traditional gender roles. Kind of like Trumpism.

(With a distrust of Europeans thrown in. )

Reactions: Muse

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Bruce Willis' best work was Moonlighting. Die Hard was just okay.
I remember one of his lines for some reason. "A....d....d-i-s-o....n spells David Addison." Or something like that.

Yeah, I used to watch that show. He transitioned from funny guy to tough guy pretty well IMHO.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
By that logic, Home Alone, Its a wonderful Life and Home Alone 2 could have taken place at anytime too. But we all know, all three are Christmas Movies.

Second, Nightmare before Christmas is a Halloween movie. The keyword is "before". It takes place before Christmas in a scary Halloween world where kids treat or treat. They only try to invade Christmas town.

Nov 20, 2009
It could have just as easily occurred any time of the year. On top of which its set in Los Angeles which is the least christmasty town in America, aside from maybe Las Vegas.
Ergo: Die Hard is not a christmas movie. Neither is Lethal Weapon.

By contrast The Nightmare Before Christmas is about a guy who tries to co-op christmas because of the warm fuzzy he gets during that special time of year. It is therefore, a christmas movie.

Shit, at least Die Hard 2 had SNOW!
You are such the Grinch.

Reactions: Captante