Didn't The Government Pass Anti-Hoarding Laws Before Y2K?

May 31, 2001
I know there was talk of it, but I don't remember if they actually did. If so, wouldn't those laws still be in effect?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Crap, don't tell on me, damn it!!!

Cough up all those baby seals that you have in your garage:p

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Do you have ANY links at all to support the OP? If not, what is your motivation for this question? What has you so concerned?

IOW, what's the problem?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I found this, but haven't read it.

If hoarding ever becomes illegal, the government will lock me away for hoarding awesomness.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I don't get this law...if I want to be over prepared, thats my business.

The problem isnt whether you hoard or not but rather when you choose to.

JIT inventory systems was never meant to handle large scale bulk purchases at the retail level. Sadly, this is what most of the sheeple choose to do.
All we need to do is look at gas and generator purchases just prior to hurricanes. It seems every year you see a run on stores to purchase plywood, generators and gas. These things can easily be purchased during normal times but for some reason the sheeple never do.

Its a sad state of affairs "We the people" are in when the only time we choose to act is when something is at its most critical point.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Do you have ANY links at all to support the OP? If not, what is your motivation for this question? What has you so concerned?

IOW, what's the problem?

I was asking a question as to whether or not they had been passed, you lackeys are supposed to go dig up the links for me. :p

What do you mean what has me so concerned? I was just asking a question, brought to mind by all the recent talk of hoarding.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The only anti hoarding type law that I know of that can be loosely interpreted as such is this one from the EPA.

Stockpiling precious metals for speculation purposes

summary of law

Businesses that generate or store recycable materials to recover significant amounts of gold, silver, platinum, iridium, osmium, rhodium, or ruthenium must keep the following records on those materials to show that they are not "accumulating material speculatively":

the volume stored at the beginning of the calendar year

the amount generated or received during the calendar year

the amount remaining at the end of the calendar year