Did your ISP lock you also out from your VERY OWN router?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Pretty much any router I had I used to log-in as admin for various settings, mainly wireless (obviously!) and also assigning IPs to the gateway, port forwarding etc.... the usual.

Now we have this 100MB fiber internet from a small company here in Spain and I had figured the default admin login long ago which enabled me to set-up everything I need. (Thankfully, those settings are saved in flash.)

About a week ago I see that the ACS "remote configuration" server or what it is logged into the router (as it does every day for writing the config) and changed the logins and passwords for the web interface on the router.

Pretty pi$$ed!!

Ironically, I can still log into the router with SSH and get root access but this root access on the router is very limited in what you can do.

I just think it's odd they (the ISP) obviously mass-deployed a change of logins/passwords across all their customer's routers. If I hadn't set up stuff before like our wireless network I would have no way to setup or change anything there...

(And yes I tried to disable the ACS/ TRN-069 remote managing stuff but for some reason couldn't..)

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If the password was still left at the manufacturer default on the ISP's modem/router, then it's a GOOD thing that the ISP changed it. Too many risks, especially with recent reports of compromised routers. Granted, that means you can't log in to the router now without getting the password from the ISP, but I suspect this would not have happened if you had a non-standard password set.

Last edited:

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
ISP's routers suck anyways, just buy a router and replace the one they provided you.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
If the password was still left at the manufacturer default on the ISP's modem/router, then it's a GOOD thing that the ISP changed it. Too many risks, especially with recent reports of compromised routers. Granted, that means you can't log in to the router now without getting the password from the ISP, but I suspect this would not have happened if you had a non-standard password set.

A lot of ISP deployed routers have remote admin access that you cannot change or disable, so it wouldn't matter if you changed the local admin name or password.

Part of why I don't use the Verizon supplied router, but my own.

To the OP, why not call the ISP and ASK them what it is? Of course maybe they say no, but I've never run in to an ISP that doesn't allow the customer to access the admin page of the router, even if it isn't customer owned.