Did you know that USB 3.0 causes wireless interference?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I didn't, until I started googling solutions for why my wireless mouse wasn't acting right (seemed like there were "dead spots" in the mouse movement, like it was lagging every few seconds).

I found a solution that said to move the USB receiver to a non USB 3.0 port, and as far away from 3.0 ports as possible. If you have a USB extender, use that. It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but sure as shit as soon as I used a USB extender things started working again. Then I started researching a bit more and found more confirmation than I expected:
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...30_has_been_found_to_cause_interference_that/

I wouldn't have guessed that a wired connection could cause so much interference in the wireless spectrum, but I guess it does. Just an FYI for those that have similar problems.

Reactions: Ken g6

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Not until a week or two ago.

From what I've read (bla bla bla I ain't got the lurning on the electrics and RF), it's supposedly related to the USB 3.x data-lines. Something about causing RF interference that affects the 2.4 GHz band which covers Wifi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

No wonder USB 3.x feels like a flyover tech -- already have USB-C and adoption of USB 3.x ports seems limited.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
No wonder USB 3.x feels like a flyover tech -- already have USB-C and adoption of USB 3.x ports seems limited.
USB 3 is a protocol. USB-C is a port. They aren't directly comparable.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
^Okay, I mean the USB 3.x micro-B and large B ports don't really seem widely used despite being backwards compatible.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This explains a lot. I roll out a ton of NUC computers with Logitech wireless keyboards & mice and I've had to put USB extenders on a lot of them because the Nano Unity receivers get intermittent mouse & typing lag. Logitech used to include a 1" or so extender with their keyboard/mouse combos but they don't anymore, so now I have to order them separately.

Good to know!

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I had to stop my dad from using USB3 devices in his old PC as the front ports are about 2 inches from the Wifi and it always cut out, his KB&M too as they were wireless became problematic. I bought him a USB 3 hub and plugged it in the back and the problem went away.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That is rather interesting. Wonder how this spec made it past all the compliance stuff and all that. Would be interesting to see this on a scope or spectrum analyzer.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
^I'd like to check it out with my RF meter but no USB 3 ports:(.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
^I'd like to check it out with my RF meter but no USB 3 ports:(.
Why, it is clearly identified in the white paper in the other thread I posted above that it leaks, since they don't fully shield the devices & ports so it would mitigate the interference.