Did you know that premarital sex is improper and unhealthy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Originally posted by: Mill
Here's some good news.

When teenagers say 'no' to sex

"The ranks of the "good girls" are growing. Teenage pregnancies are down, way down. The high rates recorded in the 1980s, peaking in 1990 at 116.9 of every thousand girls, have steadily declined. Among teenage girls between 15 to 19 years old in 2000, the rate was 83.6 per 1,000 girls. The good news reaches across all racial and ethnic groups in every one of the states."

..."Teenagers are changing the message for themselves, having overdosed on the culture of movies, music and television that plays to the lowest common denominator of irresponsible sex and vulgarity. The adolescents among us may be tired of imitating the bad behavior of adults. Teenage girls are sick of being labeled "ho's," "sluts" "skeezers" and "slides" by the mindless slang of rap music. They want self-respect. What's more astonishing is that increasing numbers of young men want the same thing."

I doubt it. More kids are fvcking these days no matter what your Catholic magazine tells you.

Why are you so preoccupied with Catholics? I'm not even Catholic, btw.

The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't having to do with the Catholic Church.

I'm not preoccupied, it is just that you interject religion and conservative idiom into any debate and then fight off well thought rational response with drivel.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Sexually Active Teenagers Are More Likely to Be Depressed and to Attempt Suicide

The problems associated with teen sexual activity are well-known. Every day, 8,000 teen­agers in the United States become infected by a sexually transmitted disease.[1] This year, nearly 3 million teens will become infected. Overall, roughly one-quarter of the nation?s sexually active teens have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease (STD).[2]

The problems of pregnancy and out-of-wed­lock childbearing are also severe. In 2000, some 240,000 children were born to girls aged 18 or younger.[3] Nearly all these teenage moth­ers were unmarried. These mothers and their children have an extremely high probability of long-term poverty and welfare dependence. Less widely known are the psychological and emotional problems associated with teen­age sexual activity. The present study exam­ines the linkage between teenage sexual activity and emotional health. The findings show that:

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly less likely to be happy and more likely to feel depressed.

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly more likely to attempt suicide.

Thus, in addition to its role in promoting teen pregnancy and the current epidemic of STDs, early sexual activity is a substantial fac­tor in undermining the emotional well-being of American teenagers.

Fvcking bullsh!t. It just so happens the people who have sex before marriage are also more likely to be the type of person who does other things that are related to depression and such.

For example, drinkers, druggies, and sexual tramatized people are more likely to have pre-marital sex. Depression is also MUCH more likely among them.

Think about it: your body doesn't know what the fvck marriage is, how the hell would it make a difference to it if you were married first. Sex is actually good for you. If you're not responcible about it though, then you deserve to live (and die) a horrible STD ridden life.

CQuinn

Golden Member
May 31, 2000
I doubt it. More kids are fvcking these days no matter what your Catholic magazine tells you.

Compared to what? The 90s? The 80s? The 70s? The 60s? The 50s? and on back...

I'd think a real study of different periods in our history would show no more promiscuity that in
past generations, and in some cases markedly less.

By the what I get out of the article is that we need to do more to support teenagers who desire to be abstinent.

What I got out of it was that abstinence alone is not enough if teenagers are not provided better education to
understand the consequences of sexual involvment.

but there is also the need to fit in

And you did not also consider that some would pledge absitinence more to "fit in" with what society
expects them to do, than out of any real desire to "save" themselves for marriage?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CQuinn

Compared to what? The 90s? The 80s? The 70s? The 60s? The 50s? and on back...

I'd think a real study of different periods in our history would show no more promiscuity that in
past generations, and in some cases markedly less.

By the what I get out of the article is that we need to do more to support teenagers who desire to be abstinent.

What I got out of it was that abstinence alone is not enough if teenagers are not provided better education to
understand the consequences of sexual involvment.

but there is also the need to fit in

And you did not also consider that some would pledge absitinence more to "fit in" with what society
expects them to do, than out of any real desire to "save" themselves for marriage?

I'm interested. How can you say there is less pre-marital fvcking now than back then?

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
you should go up there and put a sign above it that says " make gay marrige legal" that would be funny

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm interested. How can you say there is less pre-marital fvcking now than back then?
LMAO....

He can't. :D

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I am declaring that I am a born again Virgin :D LOL

Seriously, who funded that billboard? Hopefully, not another religious church or group did that because religious didn't have a very good record about sex such as church officials and young boys just to name a few. Would that be improper and unhealthy too? :disgust:

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Here's some good news.

"The ranks of the "good girls" are growing. Teenage pregnancies are down, way down. The high rates recorded in the 1980s, peaking in 1990 at 116.9 of every thousand girls, have steadily declined. Among teenage girls between 15 to 19 years old in 2000, the rate was 83.6 per 1,000 girls. The good news reaches across all racial and ethnic groups in every one of the states."

..."Teenagers are changing the message for themselves, having overdosed on the culture of movies, music and television that plays to the lowest common denominator of irresponsible sex and vulgarity. The adolescents among us may be tired of imitating the bad behavior of adults. Teenage girls are sick of being labeled "ho's," "sluts" "skeezers" and "slides" by the mindless slang of rap music. They want self-respect. What's more astonishing is that increasing numbers of young men want the same thing."

The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't having to do with the Catholic Church.

I'm not preoccupied, it is just that you interject religion and conservative idiom into any debate and then fight off well thought rational response with drivel.

Can you point to any reference I've made to relgion in this thread? I'm not sure what a "conservative idiom" is.

As far as the sign is concerned, I think that premarital sex is improper (many non-religious people also hold this view) and it can be unhealthy (unwanted pregnancies, STDs, and emotional problems are a few of the consequences).

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Here's some good news.

Can you point to any reference I've made to relgion in this thread? I'm not sure what a "conservative idiom" is.

As far as the sign is concerned, I think that premarital sex is improper (many non-religious people also hold this view) and it can be unhealthy (unwanted pregnancies, STDs, and emotional problems are a few of the consequences).

How are STDs, pregnancies, STDs, or emotional problems prevented by being married?
rolleye.gif

michaelh20

Sep 4, 2000
correlation does ! necessarily = causation

I think the studies have basically shown that abstain from sex kinds of programs have basically no effect. They also might help to get more girls pregant, because if you *don't* bring a condom along and you get into a situation, you're somewhat likely to still do the deed even without a condom.

I love it .. "Good Girls" as if there weren't two people involved.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: geno
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Ok, where's the "Sex can wait... I wanna be an ENGINEER!" pic?

http://www.economyblues.com/images/misc/atot/et.jpg

WOW....just..... wow... man

You're missing the point I suppose.. but "liberals" and "conservatives" like to preach abstainces. I mean, the ATOT community likes to "think" of itself smarter than the average bear and would not easily be dooped into listening to "their propaganda" We all here at AT like to think of ourselves as individulaistic, artistic and all the other mumbo jumbo bull cr@p we fill our lives with. But unlike many things...sex has/leads to consequences, and the price we pay both in monetary and human time spent on it is irrepairable and unncessary. Rousing around, banging chicks at parties etcetra has their toll.

The payoff is unwanted children, that I have to pay through my taxes because some schmuck got a s!ut pregnant and now there's a kid in this world whose going to be a burden on society (Id like to think he/she develops into a mature human being, but usually the case is against it. There is no father figure around, and the kid is a delinquint) Not the case ALL the time, but a majority. People have to control their urges, people keep things out of perspective...(there's no billboard advertising you get stuff for free, and things end up on your lap) Rational people tend to know this stuff because their parents enscribed them in their brains.

I hope to see more ad's like this, teach kids to look at things to strive for, not seach for things relatively eaily gotten ;)
I always tell my cousin's your parents will not always be there, and you would have to make decisions for yourself that really affect your body as a whole and well mental being. It's not just about school, but the way they ought to act in a industrialized modern society. We pride ourselves in out technology and knowledge, yet can't draw a boundary about our own behaviors.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
"How are STDs, pregnancies, STDs, or emotional problems prevented by being married?"

One partner, family planning, true (hopefully) love. Twelve year olds are not really emotionally prepared for sexual relationships. Abstinence programs work.

Originally posted by: przero
"How are STDs, pregnancies, STDs, or emotional problems prevented by being married?"

One partner, family planning, true (hopefully) love. Twelve year olds are not really emotionally prepared for sexual relationships. Abstinence programs work.
So I guess the +50% divorce rate definatly holds thoes true right?

No no, I'm sure premarital sex is to blame for the breakdown in matrimonial values, yea that's it!

So if one is say 35 years old and unmarried, premarital sex is still improper?
Why doesn't the banner say premarital and not underage? All of the arguments in here against premarital sex primarly have to do with minors.

CQuinn

Golden Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

LMAO....

He can't. :D

Sorry I took a few days off before getting back to this thread.

(The following is based on factoids and opinions off the top of my head, I usually google
for references to attempt to prove my points. But I will try to play this by ear.)

Let's go back over a few notable periods from the twentieth century...

The 1920s - aka the "Roaring Twenties" The age of Flappers, Rumble seats and writers like
F. Scott Fitzgerald. An age when girls were expected to be pure, chaste and save themselves
for marriage, but boys were expected to "sow their wild oats" before they settle down.
Up until the stock market crash, one of the great party ages of US history.

The 1930s
The start of FDRs great reconstruction programs, and the start of WWII. Lots of young men
going off to work or war, perhaps to never see thier young sweethearts again. Lots of
chances for last minute nookie to be had.
Women placed in more independent roles to supplement the men sent overseas, also learning
to act more independently in their choices of how, when and who to date.
Meanwhile lots of young English girls suddenly get to meet lots of American G.I.s.

The 1940s
The end of WWII, and start of the Baby Boom. A great time for romance.
Hollywood turns back from war films to adventure and dramatic titles.
Men and Women are portrayed in more "realistic" roles, as well as the portrayal of
popular dating ideas to an impressionable audience.

The 1950s
A period of national prosperity. The age of sock hops, poodle skirts, fast cars and cruising.
Parents try to indulge their kids with all the things they could not get during the war years.

Drive-ins

The birth of Playboy.

Masters and Johnsons sex studies shed new light on social and sexual habits.

The 1960s
The Plastic age

The age of long haired hippies, communes, drug experimentation and free love.

The Women's movement, burning bras and the introduction of the birth control pill.

The Joy of Sex.

The 1970s

Disco, Saturday Night Fever, Studio 54,

The Hite Report.

The 1980s

Time magazine headline "The Sexual Revolution is Over"
The age of Aids, Nancy Reagans "Just say No" policies.
The rise of Christian Rock.
Sexual Harrassment is recognized in the workplace and schools.

Monsters of Rock,
Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, Risky Business, Weird Science

The birth of MTV.

The 1990s

The rise of the religious right.

Clinton. Sexual scandals rock the White House. Real Sex = Bad, Foreplay Sex = OK .

Sex Education more an accepted norm,
Hollywood popularizes portrayals of dangerous relationships,
greater awareness of the consequences (STDs, pregnancy, social stigma) of unprotected sex.

-----
Note I am not claiming that premarital sex does not happen today, I'm simply proposing that there are
demonstrable examples in the past where premarital sex was not only easier to come by, but was
also more socially acceptable than now.

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
It does lead to more teenage pregnancy, abortion, abandonment of babies, orphans, illegitimacy, dysfunctional families, child support payments, starvation, etc..

One way to look at it

-MiND