Did you know that premarital sex is improper and unhealthy?

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
A big sign by my old highschool says so. I thought it was a pretty funny sight driving home from college.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
Pic and is this a religous school.

It wasn't on school grounds. It was a billboard about 1/4-1/2 mile away from the school.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Originally posted by: hjo3
Ditto. I call shenanigans.

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

I'm not calling it on the sign being there - I'm calling it on the sign being correct. ;)

- M4H

I laughed my ass off when I saw it. I saw in huge print "Abstinence" and looked over and read it.

RadBrad

Feb 10, 2004
That the same thing you told me and your little sister,

what makes you think reading the sign is going to change anything?:confused:

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
IT WAS NOT ON SCHOOL GROUNDS!!

Originally posted by: amdfanboy
Pic and is this a religous school.

It wasn't on school grounds. It was a billboard about 1/4-1/2 mile away from the school.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Sexually Active Teenagers Are More Likely to Be Depressed and to Attempt Suicide

The problems associated with teen sexual activity are well-known. Every day, 8,000 teen­agers in the United States become infected by a sexually transmitted disease.[1] This year, nearly 3 million teens will become infected. Overall, roughly one-quarter of the nation?s sexually active teens have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease (STD).[2]

The problems of pregnancy and out-of-wed­lock childbearing are also severe. In 2000, some 240,000 children were born to girls aged 18 or younger.[3] Nearly all these teenage moth­ers were unmarried. These mothers and their children have an extremely high probability of long-term poverty and welfare dependence. Less widely known are the psychological and emotional problems associated with teen­age sexual activity. The present study exam­ines the linkage between teenage sexual activity and emotional health. The findings show that:

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly less likely to be happy and more likely to feel depressed.

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly more likely to attempt suicide.

Thus, in addition to its role in promoting teen pregnancy and the current epidemic of STDs, early sexual activity is a substantial fac­tor in undermining the emotional well-being of American teenagers.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Sexually Active Teenagers Are More Likely to Be Depressed and to Attempt Suicide

The problems associated with teen sexual activity are well-known. Every day, 8,000 teen­agers in the United States become infected by a sexually transmitted disease.[1] This year, nearly 3 million teens will become infected. Overall, roughly one-quarter of the nation?s sexually active teens have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease (STD).[2]

The problems of pregnancy and out-of-wed­lock childbearing are also severe. In 2000, some 240,000 children were born to girls aged 18 or younger.[3] Nearly all these teenage moth­ers were unmarried. These mothers and their children have an extremely high probability of long-term poverty and welfare dependence. Less widely known are the psychological and emotional problems associated with teen­age sexual activity. The present study exam­ines the linkage between teenage sexual activity and emotional health. The findings show that:

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly less likely to be happy and more likely to feel depressed.

When compared to teens who are not sex­ually active, teenage boys and girls who are sexually active are significantly more likely to attempt suicide.

Thus, in addition to its role in promoting teen pregnancy and the current epidemic of STDs, early sexual activity is a substantial fac­tor in undermining the emotional well-being of American teenagers.

See this.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Teens who pledge to remain virgins until marriage have the same rates of sexually transmitted diseases as those who don't pledge abstinence, according to a study that examined the sex lives of 12,000 adolescents.

Those who make a public pledge to abstain until marriage delay sex, have fewer sex partners and get married earlier, according to the data, gathered from adolescents ages 12 to 18 who were questioned again six years later. But the two groups' STD rates were statistically similar.

The problem, the study found, is that those virginity "pledgers" are much less likely to use condoms.

"It's difficult to simultaneously prepare for sex and say you're not going to have sex," said Peter Bearman, the chair of Columbia University's Department of Sociology, who co-authored the study with Hannah Bruckner of Yale.

"The message is really simple: 'Just say no' may work in the short term but doesn't work in the long term."

Data from the study, to be presented Tuesday at the National STD Prevention Conference, was taken from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. That study was funded in part by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Once the data from the early findings study have been reviewed by peers, they will be submitted for publication, Bearman said.

Sex education benefit?
Critics of abstinance-only education saw the findings as evidence that adolescents benefit from sex education.

"It's a tragedy if we withhold from these kids information about how not to get STDs or not to get pregnant," said Dorothy Mann, executive director of the Family Planning Council, an organization dedicated to reproductive health services.

The study found that the STD rates for whites who pledged virginity was 2.8 percent compared with 3.5 percent for those who didn't pledge. For blacks, it was 18.1 percent and 20.3 percent. For Asians, 10.5 percent of virginity pledgers had STDs compared with 5.6 percent of non-pledgers. For Hispanics, it was 6.7 percent and 8.6 percent.

Bearman said that from a statistical point of view the numbers were the same. Overall rates combining all races wouldn't be valid, he said.

"The point is, substantively, that if you knew someone who pledged, and you knew someone who didn't pledge, you had no basis for thinking that one of them would have an STD over the other," he said.

The study also found that in communities where at least 20 percent of adolescents pledged the STD rates for everyone combined was 8.9 percent. In communities with less than 7 percent pledgers, the STD rate was 5.5 percent.

"It is the combination of hidden sex and unsafe sex that creates a world where people underestimate the risk of STDs," Bearman said.

The study's other findings:

59 percent of males who did not pledge abstinence used a condom during sex; only 40 percent of male pledgers used a condom.

28 percent of female non-pledgers were tested for STDs in the previous year, compared to 14 percent of female pledgers.

99 percent of non-pledgers and 88 percent of pledgers have sex before marriage.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
And your point is?

The sign allegedly says that premarital sex in unhealthy. Do you disagree?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
By the what I get out of the article is that we need to do more to support teenagers who desire to be abstinent.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
And your point is?

Yes. If I have sex with someone one day and get married the next day it is not healthier. It is also not 'improper.'

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
And your point is?

Yes. If I have sex with someone one day and get married the next day it is not healthier. It is also not 'improper.'

Sounds unhealthy to me.

Jan 31, 2002
And your point is?

Sounds unhealthy to me.

Married Adults Are More Likely to Be Depressed and to Attempt Suicide Than Sexually Active Teenagers

Damn, start funding the research. :p

- M4H

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
And your point is?

Sounds unhealthy to me.

That's correlation not causation. Perhaps they are promiscuous because they have 'issues.' And having sex doesn't magically change with marriage