Did you know that only American cops are on a power trip most of the time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

I probably pay more taxes than you.

how the hell is that a supremist comment????

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Dear Mr. Citizen:

It seems you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop". Unfortunately, the reverse is true..I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am a person to be aware of, and then you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy...the criminal.

You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell with the person who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "FOUL!!" if you observe me driving fast, en route to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call.

You call it "part of my duty" if someone strikes me. But it's "police brutality" if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or a doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always giving me pointers on law enforcement.

You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand there and take it without batting an eye.

You say "something has to be done about all the crime", but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver a baby on the back seat of my squad car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours of overtime to find your lost daughter.

So, Dear Citizen, you stand there on your soap box and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing...me or one of my buddies.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Dear Mr. Citizen:

It seems you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop". Unfortunately, the reverse is true..I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am a person to be aware of, and then you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy...the criminal.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell with the person who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "FOUL!!" if you observe me driving fast, en route to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call.

You call it "part of my duty" if someone strikes me. But it's "police brutality" if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or a doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always giving me pointers on law enforcement.

You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand there and take it without batting an eye.

You say "something has to be done about all the crime", but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver a baby on the back seat of my squad car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours of overtime to find your lost daughter.

So, Dear Citizen, you stand there on your soap box and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing...me or one of my buddies.

:thumbsup: every time I read that

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: Deeko

Alright, we're not stupid. You know what kind of derogatory & elitist undertone your line carried what you wrote it (or anyone who says, "go back to your country").

Don't reply later pretending you meant no harm or insult. Either that you seriously lack the ability to assess how certain words carry certain meanings.

I can't speak for waffleironhead, but that statement doesn't have to be derogatory. I have a lot of friends that either were born in other countries, or spent signifigant time in other countries, and all the do is talk about how "this is why country X is better than America" or "this is why Americans suck". I wonder with these people, if they hate America and it's people so much, why are they here? No one is forcing them.
Yeah I've heard similar things from people too. If you're that obsessed with your country, go back there, cause I don't wanna fuckin hear about it.

i don't bitch about america or anything because i think it is by far the greatest country in the world. however, since i was born and raised in another country i do think that i have some insight that native born americans probably dont have and do bring it up in discussions that i have. personally i always get into an argument with some of the other foreigners with this 'america sucks' attitude just about the same as i do with 'USA!USA!USA' crowd.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: pontifex
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

how the hell is that a supremist comment????
You have to remember, despite using Einstein's famous equation as his handle, E=MC^2 is pretty much a Goku-lite.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I fully agree. American cops are usually dicks.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
You get paid $28000 a year to get shot at and be all smiley. Cops are nice/dickish in exactly the same proportion as every other profession, it's just that they carry a gun so you get more pissed off at a cop being a dick than a grocery store bagger.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Police were at my house yesterday. Someone broke into my car. :( They were nice, but they didn't dust for prints. He made a report and took down the serial numbers of items that were stolen, and a detective contacted me today. He was very nice about the whole deal.

Nov 3, 2004
Dear Mr. Citizen:

blah blah blah, everyone gets bitched at while they work. Cops aren't the only ones.

WTF? If you strike back that's called arresting someone. Whereas hitting someone else and not being accountable for it is called police brutality.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I think the crux of the problem is this:

Good people get dealt with bad cops
Good cops get dealt with bad people

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
I just had a cop ride on my ass because of my failure to yield in a skidding snow storm. He rolled his window down and literally yelled at me- "WTF u think you're doing!?" and drove off.

Hmmm, you don't see a problem to not yielding in a snow storm. If that cop had been on a power trip: you would have been pulled over, pulled out of the car and handcuffed while your car was searched. After which (if no contraband had been found) you would have been returned to your vehicle and given a couple of tickets worth a couple hundred bucks in fines.

You're lucky that he let you go with a verbal warning.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I got pulled over this morning for speeding. The cop was nice enough. He could have towed my car becuase my registration was expired. I talked him into letting me drive to the rest stop 2 miles up the road so I could make arrangements to get to work. Instead I got off the next exit and took a different way to work. :thumbsup:

going to get registration this week.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Try the police in Mexico City. :roll:

At least there if you give them $300 or so you don't have to go down to the station and they just forget that you were going 10MPH over the speed limit while all the Mexicans are speeding by at 20MPH over the speed limit.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Cops should be like the wussies in Taiwan. I never see videos of cops being beat up by angry old ladies here in the US. Why not???

Another note, i met some racist police in the UK. Right out of the airport they started harassing me and questioning why I was visiting the UK. They did it to the only two asian guys walking out of a crowd of people. They didn't believe I was going for school till I showed them my university letter of registration and start date. Then they pestered me some more. I wasn't surprised they shot dead an innocent foreigner thinking he was a bomber.

Well, the Taiwanese cops get crappy equipment, no support from superiors and get shafted if they piss off any 'elected officials' acting on behalf of 'good citizens'. I can't say I blame them much. Very different than the police state era.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Dear Mr. Citizen:

blah blah blah, everyone gets bitched at while they work. Cops aren't the only ones.

WTF? If you strike back that's called arresting someone. Whereas hitting someone else and not being accountable for it is called police brutality.

I think you missed the point. Either that or you are trying to pick a fight.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I couldn't agree more when my German study-abroad friend came up to me and said, "You know it's only American thing that cops think they're the shit. In Germany, they're very helpful, courteous and polite. They act like they're really there to serve the public."

I really couldn't agree more as I've observed the same growing up in S. Korea. I can't stand the US cops here. I think they all suffer inferority complex from failing to go to college and go on a power trip all day.

You and your friend must have been busy, kudos on meeting every single cop in America, Germany, and S. Korea. I am assuming you have met every one of them, otherwise you are just making pointless generalizations.

I've seen how police officers handle their authority in other places around the globe, I'll take an American officer over any other.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I remember living in the Philippines the cops would always try to shake you down. It was never outrageous... you can get by with a $3-5$ bribe. People always use to tell me to avoid any crap just have a 100 peso bill attached to your license when you hand it to the police. Thanks to my dad I had a diplomatic ID so once i flashed that it was no problem. They were not really assholes like American cops... just extremely underpaid and did have to deal with a lot of drunk airmen and sailors.

Here in Tennessee I did get stopped by an unnannounced road block and just happened to forget my license that day. When state trooper came up to my car and asked for my id and registration I asked why I was stopped.... boy he got pissed and threatened to arrest me. I got a ticket for driving without a license. Tennessee state troopers are corrupt as hell anyway... but every ticket they wrote that day had to be thrown in the trash because the state courts said the road block was illegal... so I never went to court anyway. They even had a drug bust that was thrown out. I don't know what they were thinking.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I've never had a real problem with cops. I've only had one run-in and it was my fault. Sure some cops are assholes, but those kind just give a bad name for the rest. A lot of cops are out there to protect and serve. Saying all cops are assholes because you had an experience with a bad one is pretty unfair.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Most of the cops I've had run ins with were wicked nice and they were just doing their jobs. I can only remember once where the cop acted like a dick. A friend of mind pulled a broken plastic strip out of a a chain link fence at a convenience store. The cop saw it and almost hit our car as we were backing up(didn't turn his lights on), then pulled the wrong guy out of the car, patted us all down, ran our licenses and then arrested my friend.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: rudder
I remember living in the Philippines the cops would always try to shake you down. It was never outrageous... you can get by with a $3-5$ bribe. People always use to tell me to avoid any crap just have a 100 peso bill attached to your license when you hand it to the police. Thanks to my dad I had a diplomatic ID so once i flashed that it was no problem. They were not really assholes like American cops... just extremely underpaid and did have to deal with a lot of drunk airmen and sailors.

Here in Tennessee I did get stopped by an unnannounced road block and just happened to forget my license that day. When state trooper came up to my car and asked for my id and registration I asked why I was stopped.... boy he got pissed and threatened to arrest me. I got a ticket for driving without a license. Tennessee state troopers are corrupt as hell anyway... but every ticket they wrote that day had to be thrown in the trash because the state courts said the road block was illegal... so I never went to court anyway. They even had a drug bust that was thrown out. I don't know what they were thinking.

So you were driving without your license and got a ticket for driving wothout your license and somehow that makes tennessee troopers corupt?
Am I missing something?

I can see they didnt have a legit reason to pull you over, but the ticket was still reasonable.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052
Go give central/south America, most of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Eastern Europe a try.

True

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Deeko

teehee ohhh he's rich! We'd better believe his opinion! That dirty cop yelled at him for breaking the law, when he could have pulled him over and given him a ticket, why can't we be more like Korea and Germany, peaceful, happy nations that they are??

Actually, he makes $40k and is going "financially nowhere", in his own words.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Dear Mr. Citizen:

I think you missed the point. Either that or you are trying to pick a fight.

No, I get it. And I have little sympathy. that's life, people complain or bitch at you even when you try your best or have the best in mind. Especially your bosses. It just so happens that police have a lot of bosses (taxpayers). Suck it up.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: K1052
Go give central/south America, most of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Eastern Europe a try.

True

They have a hard job just show some common courtesy. We live in the best country in the world, they have to deal with some pretty bad stuff, I'm sure a lot gets bottled up. America = the best