Did you guys reconfig the controls in DAO to WASD?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I don't play First person shooters but for some reason I just felt like I hat to reconfigure the controls for Draon Age Origins to the classic WASD setting there A and D are walk left and right. I think the default was set so that A and D were to move the camera right and left.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
It felt weird to use AD as turning the camera but I got used to it. I used it along with holding down the mouse button to pan the camera as I moved the mouse.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Ya, I used WASD to move around and used the RMB to turn the camera. I zoomed out as far as I could without using the above view.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
any game that uses AD for turning I immediately change to strafing

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Ya, I used WASD to move around and used the RMB to turn the camera. I zoomed out as far as I could without using the above view.

Yeah this is basically what I did. I tend to use the right mouse button and camera to move the character around too.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
I played 95% of the game from overhead and mainly used the mouse for movement in battle, mainly because I turned into an obsessive pauser-order issuer.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I played 95% of the game from overhead and mainly used the mouse for movement in battle, mainly because I turned into an obsessive pauser-order issuer.

I also micromanage the game. I don't rely on Combat tactics at all. I find those just get my characters killed but maybe that cause I suck at programming them? However I play with a mix of top down + closer in. I use closer in a lot when exploring, but never the almost 1st person POV.

I also find that I'm doing mostly frontal attracts despite what the manual suggests as it's just not possible to flank characters, they just immediately turn when you attack.

I was a little worried about running out of health potions until I just learned how to buy/make ultimated numbers.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
I also micromanage the game. I don't rely on Combat tactics at all. I find those just get my characters killed but maybe that cause I suck at programming them? However I play with a mix of top down + closer in. I use closer in a lot when exploring, but never the almost 1st person POV.

This ^^

during combat, I'm pretty much top down tactical. But, during exploring, I'll go either first person, or close to it.

Although, I prefer dsfc for movement, not wasd. Got used to those keys while playing quake team fortress, and could never get used to wasd afterwords.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
The default controls work pretty much the same as Wow's. Simple yet intuitive.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I reconfigure every game, no matter what. Right mouse move forward. Left mouse shoot. R backward, E strafe left, R strafe right, F duck, spacebar jump, and left thumb on first mouse side button melee. I use other buttons, but I set it up like I am typing, it has always just felt more natural.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Shrug.. I liked teh default fine. QE for strafe is often more comfortable for me unless it is a twitch game. (That is I find it easier to reach hot keys)

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I didn't remap the keys. AD change to strafe automatically when you hold down the right mouse button for mouselook, which I pretty much always am while exploring. In combat I use click move.

May 16, 2000
I have never, and will never, use wasd controls. It just feels wrong, and can't get straight in my head. The first thing I do on any game is reassign to the numpad/arrows/cursor location keys. That being said, yes I always make my 4 & 6 strafe, and my 7 & 9 turning/rotation.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
I have never, and will never, use wasd controls. It just feels wrong, and can't get straight in my head. The first thing I do on any game is reassign to the numpad/arrows/cursor location keys. That being said, yes I always make my 4 & 6 strafe, and my 7 & 9 turning/rotation.

Are you left handed? I can understand a lefthanded person having trouble due because have to reach way over to the left side of the keyboard with their right hand, but for a righty its just as unconfortable to use the keypad in this manner in my experience.

May 16, 2000
Are you left handed? I can understand a lefthanded person having trouble due because have to reach way over to the left side of the keyboard with their right hand, but for a righty its just as unconfortable to use the keypad in this manner in my experience.

No, my keyboard is offset from center on my desk when I'm gaming so the keypad lines up directly in front of my left hand.

I think I have two main issues with WASD.

1. Offset rows. That just boggles my perceptions when I view the keys as anything but a typing device. Maybe it's my ocd, but a directional pad should be symmetric and lined up.

2. Letters. Letters stand for things. When my brain identifies going to the 'W' key the letter is blazing in my mind, and it wants to connect it immediately to a word with 'W' (like West). There's no way I can connect the key W with forward/front/up etc.

To a somewhat lesser degree I think the slightly isolated bunchings of keys (the numpad, arrows, cursor location, even the lock keys when those are programmable) makes for a set of logical divisions of use. For instance, in America's Army the numpad keys are movements/motions, the arrow keys are targetting, and the cursor keys are explosives & equipment. This helps a lot for my comfort level with them...especially when I try to maintain similar logical groupings across multiple games.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
No, my keyboard is offset from center on my desk when I'm gaming so the keypad lines up directly in front of my left hand.

1. Offset rows. That just boggles my perceptions when I view the keys as anything but a typing device. Maybe it's my ocd, but a directional pad should be symmetric and lined up.

2. Letters. Letters stand for things. When my brain identifies going to the 'W' key the letter is blazing in my mind, and it wants to connect it immediately to a word with 'W' (like West). There's no way I can connect the key W with forward/front/up etc.

To a somewhat lesser degree I think the slightly isolated bunchings of keys (the numpad, arrows, cursor location, even the lock keys when those are programmable) makes for a set of logical divisions of use. For instance, in America's Army the numpad keys are movements/motions, the arrow keys are targetting, and the cursor keys are explosives & equipment. This helps a lot for my comfort level with them...especially when I try to maintain similar logical groupings across multiple games.

Everyone likes what they like. As for the letters, when i'm playing i don't think about it, because i'm not looking at the keyboard. You can move from S to W in a straight line if you stay on the outer portion of the keys so I don't feel there is a tactile difference, but I can understand if it wierds you out. Other than the hand position, the main benefits from WASD come from the quick accessibility of so many other keys without needing to move your hand away in any extreme way. Weapon changes, jumps, action buttons....all of it can be done without moving the hand away. Over time muscle memory will take over. By constraining yourself to the number pad, you have to physically move your hand away to do actions that require the rest of the keyboard. Thats suicide in FPS games. Mice with lots of buttons help, but in general its a disadvantage.

There is no right or wrong way tho. Play however it makes you confortable. :) As long as your playing.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

but then you're missing out on easy access to shift, spacebar, caps, Q, E, F, Z, X, the numbers, etc.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Whenever I play a new game I immediately configure its keybindings on my Nostromo N52. This way I don't have to worry about whether it's WASD or something else, I always play the same way :D

ps: This is probably already clear but just in case, I want to emphasize that I didn't reconfigure the settings on the game itself, but instead I configured the keybindings on my N52 software, to have the buttons I *want* to hit to do whatever it is the game defaults to. Then of course I save the setting to a file so I only have to do this one time. This is very handy so if I play on a friend's computer or if I reinstall my OS and had to reinstall all my games, or if I build a new computer, all I needed to do is leave the settings in the game to default and load my N52 setup for that game, and I'm good to go.

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Whenever I play a new game I immediately configure its keybindings on my Nostromo N52. This way I don't have to worry about whether it's WASD or something else, I always play the same way :D

ps: This is probably already clear but just in case, I want to emphasize that I didn't reconfigure the settings on the game itself, but instead I configured the keybindings on my N52 software, to have the buttons I *want* to hit to do whatever it is the game defaults to. Then of course I save the setting to a file so I only have to do this one time. This is very handy so if I play on a friend's computer or if I reinstall my OS and had to reinstall all my games, or if I build a new computer, all I needed to do is leave the settings in the game to default and load my N52 setup for that game, and I'm good to go.

I vaguely know of the Nostromo N52. I just googled it and I have to say that's one specialized looking piece of gaming equipment! I'm guessing you really like it?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I absolutely LOVE it! The only negative thing about it (and it's a pretty serious one) is that if it suddenly breaks or stop functioning (knock on woods) then I essentially can't play anything because I'm going to be pretty useless with a regular keyboard.

Even worse, it's somewhat of an older device and I don't think they sell it anymore (Belkin has the newer N52 TE out right now, similar but not quite the same). If I had to buy a gaming pad right now I would get a Logitech G13, which has more buttons and more likely to be compatible to games/OS for the future (this one I brought from XP --> Vista --> Windows 7 just fine so far though). Of course I would then have to reconfigure all the games from scratch for the G13.

May 16, 2000
Everyone likes what they like. As for the letters, when i'm playing i don't think about it, because i'm not looking at the keyboard. You can move from S to W in a straight line if you stay on the outer portion of the keys so I don't feel there is a tactile difference, but I can understand if it wierds you out. Other than the hand position, the main benefits from WASD come from the quick accessibility of so many other keys without needing to move your hand away in any extreme way. Weapon changes, jumps, action buttons....all of it can be done without moving the hand away. Over time muscle memory will take over. By constraining yourself to the number pad, you have to physically move your hand away to do actions that require the rest of the keyboard. Thats suicide in FPS games. Mice with lots of buttons help, but in general its a disadvantage.

There is no right or wrong way tho. Play however it makes you confortable. :) As long as your playing.

I agree completely about the not moving the hand, which is also true on the right side of the keyboard (ie numpad, etc). There are 27-30 keys there, all nicely spaced and grouped; but still within easy blind reach without changing hand position at all.

May 16, 2000
but then you're missing out on easy access to shift, spacebar, caps, Q, E, F, Z, X, the numbers, etc.

None of which are needed when you reprogam everything into a logical pattern on the right side. Except for the 1-0, which ARE pretty nice for stuff like MMOs especially. But you learn to compensate. The only time I need ANY key on the main keyboard is if I'm typing a message to someone, and that's not often in a game.