Did Washington waste millions on faulty voting machines?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/508139.html

Did Washington waste millions on faulty voting machines?

WASHINGTON ? Hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding that have gone to upgrade the nation's voting machines since 2003 were used to purchase touch-screen systems that many states are now scrapping because of concerns about their security and reliability.

State governments in Alaska, California, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, Tennessee and New Mexico have decided to replace their touch-screen electronic machines. While some states have completed the switch, others won't finish replacing the machines until 2010. Nationwide, the federal government spent $1.2 billion on new voting machines between 2003 and 2007.

Optical scanning equipment is becoming the preferred replacement because, unlike touch-screens, it preserves each voter's original paper ballot in the event of a recount.

Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner is seeking to recover millions of dollars her state spent on the touch-screen machines and is urging the state legislature to require optical scanners statewide instead.

In a lawsuit, Brunner charged on Aug. 6 that touch-screen machines made by the former Diebold Election Systems and bought by 11 Ohio counties "produce computer stoppages" or delays and are vulnerable to "hacking, tampering and other attacks." In all, 44 Ohio counties spent $83 million in 2006 on Diebold's touch screens.

You know its hard to tell about the Bushies. Are they just so fatally incompetent they can't do anything right? Are they so committed to pouring tens of millions in to their supporters pockets (Diebolds CEO said his number one concern was re-electing Bush in 2004). Or were they incredibly smart?
How does the smart part come about? Think about it. If the machines were used there would be the possiblility of stealing the election. And if the machines weren't used (as is the case) it would be too late to put in a new system and the states would have to go back to the systems they had in place in 2004 which favored the Republicans. And it at least bought the Bushies some good will back when they announced the Help America Vote plan pretending they were really helping. Either way the Bushies won. And Diebold makes a hundred million dollars.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
They're only faulty if they aren't tilted toward the person's/party's candidate.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Here in SC, they bought the ES&S iVotronic machines. No paper trail, no ballot-by-ballot recording, just a "total vote" count when you're done. Too lazy to Google the links again, but last week I found multiple reports of failures, including one single-issue ballot with a significant number of under-votes, as though people would take the time to go to the polls then decide not to vote once they're in the booth. There are also tales of voters reporting incorrectly registered votes (I pressed Candidate A, but it said I picked B!). Any swing state using these machines are a potential election day nightmare.

FWIW, reports are that SC is woefully unprepared for election day problems. Despite numerous cases of touch-screen machine failures, state law prohibits use of back-up paper ballots unless all machines at a polling place fail; four out of five (or nine out of ten) isn't enough.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Here in SC, they bought the ES&S iVotronic machines. No paper trail, no ballot-by-ballot recording, just a "total vote" count when you're done. Too lazy to Google the links again, but last week I found multiple reports of failures, including one single-issue ballot with a significant number of under-votes, as though people would take the time to go to the polls then decide not to vote once they're in the booth. There are also tales of voters reporting incorrectly registered votes (I pressed Candidate A, but it said I picked B!). Any swing state using these machines are a potential election day nightmare.

FWIW, reports are that SC is woefully unprepared for election day problems. Despite numerous cases of touch-screen machine failures, state law prohibits use of back-up paper ballots unless all machines at a polling place fail; four out of five (or nine out of ten) isn't enough.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I sometimes do not vote on certain issues if I don't care once I am in the voting booth. Your assumption sucks wind.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

I hate to burst your bubble, but I sometimes do not vote on certain issues if I don't care once I am in the voting booth. Your assumption sucks wind.
Do you bother to go to the polls for a single issue election if you don't care about that single issue? Time to work on the reading comprehension, Puppy.