Did the guy profit from cybersquatting Exxonmobil.com?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
When Exxon and Mobil merged, they never registered Exxonmobil.com and somebody got it.

Did he profit?

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
I'm not sure that's possible any longer. I believe rules have been passed that forbid cybersquatting. If you take the name exxonmobil.com and have no valid reason to own that url, and exxon wants it, I think you're screwed. Now if the guy who owns it also owns an exxon gas station, then he's ok.
I know the rule was passed, but I don't know if it was changed back. This happened as a result of the rash of cypersquatting that happened in the late '90s or so. People were demanding millions for url's they basically had no right to.

I also wonder if ExxonMibile could copyright their name then go after the guy for millions...:)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gneisenau
I'm not sure that's possible any longer. I believe rules have been passed that forbid cybersquatting. If you take the name exxonmobil.com and have no valid reason to own that url, and exxon wants it, I think you're screwed. Now if the guy who owns it also owns an exxon gas station, then he's ok.
I know the rule was passed, but I don't know if it was changed back. This happened as a result of the rash of cypersquatting that happened in the late '90s or so. People were demanding millions for url's they basically had no right to.

I also wonder if ExxonMibile could copyright their name then go after the guy for millions...:)

The only rule is he who has the most money wins.

I'm sure Exxon took him to the cleaners.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Gneisenau

The only rule is he who has the most money wins.

I'm sure Exxon took him to the cleaners.

It must suck to be bitter toward those who have more than you. Have you ever contemplated suicide?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I've been keeping my eye on the Nissan Computer/Nissan Motors battle for a few years.