Did that Sandy Bridge 24FPS bug ever get resolved?

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I've been coming across a few dell optiplex 3010 discards which are considerably faster than the several core2duo HTPCs I have in service.

They have HDMI output native without an extra GPU, which is nice, but I'm remembering that Sandy Bridge iGPUs had some error when it came to using them as an HTPC - something about not being able to do 24FPS properly and some people noticing stuttering.

Did that ever get resolved with a new driver/BIOS? If not, is it really noticeable, or rather minor?

Sep 12, 2004
I've been coming across a few dell optiplex 3010 discards which are considerably faster than the several core2duo HTPCs I have in service.

They have HDMI output native without an extra GPU, which is nice, but I'm remembering that Sandy Bridge iGPUs had some error when it came to using them as an HTPC - something about not being able to do 24FPS properly and some people noticing stuttering.

Did that ever get resolved with a new driver/BIOS? If not, is it really noticeable, or rather minor?
Technically it's not the 24fps bug, it's the 23.976fps bug.

And yes, it was corrected in the Ivy Bridge iGPU that followed Sandy Bridge.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
It has not been resolved and due to it being a hardware issue the only resolution as mention above is to upgrade the CPU.

As for how noticeable it is, it will drop 1 frame in 1000. That's once every 41 sec and it drove me insane especially during panning shots. Mrs Rumple was never bothered by it and did not even notice until I pointed it out. So I guess it depends on the person on how big a deal it is.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I never noticed it. 24fps seems juddery enough to me that the 1 frame just gets lost in the noise.