Did Romney Actually Say He'd Take Advantage of Hostages or Dead Americans?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Just to clarify, this is not an Anti-Romney thing...I just enjoy how he never answers a question directly and never gives a clear statement on what he would do in the situation. Instead, he just wiggles around the topic until someone asks a different question.

This is not an anti-romney thing? You fucking liar.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
My guess is that he does it due to knowing it bothers you.
Ah yes, the perpetual excuse of the dumb: "I'm not dumb! I just pretend to be to annoy the world. Derp." Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
what gaff, explain the gaff, explain what you think he said in your own words instead of copying from huffpo. I explained what he said to you already.

You didn't explain anything, you basically told me "he said he would do something if put in that situation". That doesn't tell me if he has the skills to lead the country in a situation like that, that is not being descriptive, I need to know what he would do, how he would do it, etc. He is being purposefully vague on practically every issue, if his own supports...people who will vote for him no doubt can't get answers, what makes him think Independents will vote for him? He has given nothing. People ask questions, he doesn't give clear answers.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
1) The Anti-Obama threads and posts are just as prevalent.

2) Its "They're" not "There". That's the 100th time I've seen you get lost over the difference between "Their", "There", and "They're". For someone who asserts he is smarter than everyone else, you sure have a fucked up command of the English language!

This child should be embarrassed by how atrocious their spelling is.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Romney's only sin is admitting that he'd take political advantage of a foreign policy victory. Of course he would, ever president does

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You didn't explain anything, you basically told me "he said he would do something if put in that situation". That doesn't tell me if he has the skills to lead the country in a situation like that, that is not being descriptive, I need to know what he would do, how he would do it, etc. He is being purposefully vague on practically every issue, if his own supports...people who will vote for him no doubt can't get answers, what makes him think Independents will vote for him? He has given nothing. People ask questions, he doesn't give clear answers.

What has obama said he will do about Iran. What has he even done to date beside causing muslims to burn our embassies?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I think he DID mean that he would take political advantage of a foreign policy crisis. He was, after all, speaking in what he thought was a private, un-aired setting. However, I would point out that there isn't a presidential candidate in modern US history who would not do such a thing. Does anyone think that any major party candidate would pass up such an opportunity? Sure it's tacky and shows no class, but that is the nature of American politics circa 2012.

Obama would probably say such a thing, or at least think it. He might be smart enough to not say it just in case he was being taped. Romney is a fool as a campaigner. That's about all that can be concluded from this. But then, pretty much everyone with even slight objectivity already knew that.

- wolf

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I think he DID mean that he would take political advantage of a foreign policy crisis. He was, after all, speaking in what he thought was a private, un-aired setting. However, I would point out that there isn't a presidential candidate in modern US history who would not do such a thing. Does anyone think that any major party candidate would pass up such an opportunity? Sure it's tacky and shows no class, but that is the nature of American politics circa 2012.

Obama would probably say such a thing, or at least think it. He might be smart enough to not say it just in case he was being taped. Romney is a fool as a campaigner. That's about all that can be concluded from this. But then, pretty much everyone with even slight objectivity already knew that.

- wolf

This point of me posting it was that I am not alone in feeling that this guy just doesn't like to answer questions. I see that as a problem. I like to hear specifics...but that's just me.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Yet you keep posting anyway. Sad that you refuse to follow your own advice...but not unexpected. You routinely have one set of rules for yourself and a different set for those who do not drink your cool aid.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This point of me posting it was that I am not alone in feeling that this guy just doesn't like to answer questions. I see that as a problem. I like to hear specifics...but that's just me.

What has obama said he'll do about iran, you know...specifics.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

I agree that he doesn't give many specifics when he answers questions about policy. However, I'm not sure why that is your takeaway from this particular quote. It sounds an awful lot like how you described it in your subject line. My only point was that this willingness to take political advantage of a tragic situation is certainly not unique to Romney. The sort of thing he said here is probably a routine discussion inside campaign headquarters for all presidential candidates in every election. Romney was just dumb enough to say it where it might get leaked to the public.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
How did he cause Muslims to burn our embassies?

I saw a video of Obama handing a Muslim a can of gasoline and pushing him towards the embassy. I was skeptical at first but then I saw that the gasoline was not from an American company and I knew it was Obama - he will do everything to not support US gasoline companies! :reallyangryface:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I agree that he doesn't give many specifics when he answers questions about policy. However, I'm not sure why that is your takeaway from this particular quote. It sounds an awful lot like how you described it in your subject line. My only point was that this willingness to take political advantage of a tragic situation is certainly not unique to Romney. The sort of thing he said here is probably a routine discussion inside campaign headquarters for all presidential candidates in every election. Romney was just dumb enough to say it where it might get leaked to the public.

The thing is, I did not come up with that subject line, that is the name of the blog post. So..I guess people see something like that on the forum and without looking at the source I posted, they assume It was I who came up with the thread title.

Like I said before, Its not supposed to be an Anti-Romney thread. I know you understand, Cybersage, Incorruptible, and Spidey don't and that's okay.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I saw a video of Obama handing a Muslim a can of gasoline and pushing him towards the embassy. I was skeptical at first but then I saw that the gasoline was not from an American company and I knew it was Obama - he will do everything to not support US gasoline companies! :reallyangryface:

I realize you're being tongue in cheek here, but people like spidey will actually believe this.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
What has obama said he will do about Iran. What has he even done to date beside causing muslims to burn our embassies?
Um, he's murdered a lot of iranians by placing crippling sanctions on them. He's the most hawkish president since Truman. Get over it. Please.

Alqaida was created and funded by the CIA, Hillary Clinton is on video as saying so! They probably killed bin laden when he refused to say he did it... they gave him 3 chances and he failed the test all three times so they killed his ass.

That said, I can't believe you have such little respect for America by believing everything the fucking govt wants you to. Republicans are in agreement with Obama 100% of the time... he is on your side.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Um, he's murdered a lot of iranians by placing crippling sanctions on them. He's the most hawkish president since Truman. Get over it. Please.

Alqaida was created and funded by the CIA, Hillary Clinton is on video as saying so! They probably killed bin laden when he refused to say he did it... they gave him 3 chances and he failed the test all three times so they killed his ass.

That said, I can't believe you have such little respect for America by believing everything the fucking govt wants you to. Republicans are in agreement with Obama 100% of the time... he is on your side.

Links to proof or stop posting.

Apr 27, 2012
1) The Anti-Obama threads and posts are just as prevalent.

2) Its "They're" not "There". That's the 100th time I've seen you get lost over the difference between "Their", "There", and "They're". For someone who asserts he is smarter than everyone else, you sure have a fucked up command of the English language!

I am extremely intelligent, I dont deny that but I dont care about grammar if you guys refuse to listen to my arguments

Respect my arguments and I will respect grammar