Did Romney Actually Say He'd Take Advantage of Hostages or Dead Americans?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Huffington Post Blog
Jon Soltz, Co-Founder of votevets.org and Iraq War Vet

Watch the now infamous Romney tapes, starting at the 4-minute mark. A questioner asks him about foreign policy and they start to talk about the hostage crisis in 1980. Then Romney drops this nugget:

"And yet, in that election, in the Jimmy Carter election, the fact that we had hostages in Iran, I mean, that was all we talked about. And we had the two helicopters crash in the desert, I mean, that was the focus, and so him [Reagan] solving that made all the difference in the world. I'm afraid today that if you simply got Iran to agree to stand down on nuclear weapons, they'd go, "Now hold on. It's really a -- "I mean, if something of that nature presents itself I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity."

I'm sorry, what? If there's an international crisis where Americans die and/or hostages are taken, you'll "work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity"?

I might not believe that's what Mitt Romney meant by this statement, if it wasn't exactly what he did down the road, when he immediately tried to politically capitalize on the attacks on our diplomatic outposts, before we even knew who had died.

I know many people have been dismayed over Governor Romney's comments about the mythical 47 percent who don't pay taxes and mooch off the government, but, to me, this is so much worse.

It shows that the political aspirations and ego of Mitt Romney have no limits -- not even national security or American lives are spared. As Commander in Chief, with the military under his control and his finger on the button, what other "opportunities" would he "find a way to take advantage of?"

I shudder to think.

Source

Honestly, I don't think Romney was trying to say anything here except for "I don't...I mean..like..I don't know"

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
lol huffpo. That is REALLY reaching there. If you think that's what he meant you're delusional. Read it again, slower this time.

Middle east is burning our embassies, obama does nothing. History is repeating itself and you can directly compare carter and obama's actions.

cganesh75

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Super Moderator
Oct 8, 2005
lol huffpo. That is REALLY reaching there. If you think that's what he meant you're delusional. Read it again, slower this time.

Middle east is burning our embassies, obama does nothing. History is repeating itself and you can directly compare carter and obama's actions.

remember "you didnt build that"? is that what he meant? context matters now because its from Romney?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Pretty inaccurate to say Reagan "solved" the hostage crisis.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

So, what do you think he meant, Spidey?

You attack me but don't bother to leave anything intelligent to say to the blog post or my opinion on what was said.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
remember "you didnt build that"? is that what he meant? context matters now because its from Romney?

Yes, it is what obama meant when he said you didn't build that.

And it's not context, how one can infer what is being postulated is absurd and delusional. It's the mind of the liberal on full stupid.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Just to clarify, this is not an Anti-Romney thing...I just enjoy how he never answers a question directly and never gives a clear statement on what he would do in the situation. Instead, he just wiggles around the topic until someone asks a different question.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Pretty inaccurate to say Reagan "solved" the hostage crisis.

Not really, his stance on the hostages and his attitude towards Iran were very well known to Iran and the world. They made sure to return the hostages at his inauguration because they knew what was going to happen if they didn't. He laid the groundwork for their fear and deserves at least some of the credit.

Apr 27, 2012
Just to clarify, this is not an Anti-Romney thing...I just enjoy how he never answers a question directly and never gives a clear statement on what he would do in the situation. Instead, he just wiggles around the topic until someone asks a different question.

Really, just look at all those other anti-romney threads you have

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So, what do you think he meant, Spidey?

You attack me but don't bother to leave anything intelligent to say to the blog post or my opinion on what was said.

That if an opportunity to improve foreign relations or get iran to drop nuclear program presented itself he would take advantage of that opportunity when president.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
That if an opportunity to improve foreign relations or get iran to drop nuclear program presented itself he would take advantage of that opportunity when president.

He did not say how...that's the problem. What would he have done differently, did he think we took the best approach to the situation, etc. He wants people to vote for him, but he isnt giving anyone a reason why. Be more descriptive! He never says how and thats good enough for people like you.

Romney's campaign slogan should just be "Won't say how"

Really, just look at all those other anti-romney threads you have

I wouldn't call them Anti-Romney threads, just pointing out his charades...kinda like how people make fun of you all the time.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Mitt's campaign is an endless treasure trove of stupid, embarrassing comments and behavior. It's hilarious. He might be the worst major-party nominee in modern Presidential history, and I am including Michael Dukakis in that mix.

You fogot to include Obama in list...he takes the cake.

Apr 27, 2012
I wouldn't call them Anti-Romney threads, just pointing out his charades...kinda like how people make fun of you all the time.

The sole purpose of them are to bash him, where are the anti-obama threads

People make fun of me because there idiots who dont agree with me

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Mitt's campaign is an endless treasure trove of stupid, embarrassing comments and behavior. It's hilarious. He might be the worst major-party nominee in modern Presidential history, and I am including Michael Dukakis in that mix. ...
Indeed. It's getting to the point, at least for me, that I barely pay attention to his gaffe of the day. "Romney made another bone-headed remark. Film at 11:00. zzzzz" The danger for the Dems is people will become numb to it, and expectations of Romney will be so low that when he eventually goes a week without shooting himself in the foot, the mob will be cheering about the great job he's doing.

I believe you were the one who dubbed the GOP primary slate as the "Island of Misfit Candidates". Romney seems determined to prove that in spite of initial impressions of relative normalcy, he's just as damaged as the rest. What a bizarre election.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The sole purpose of them are to bash him, where are the anti-obama threads

People make fun of me because there idiots who dont agree with me

1) The Anti-Obama threads and posts are just as prevalent.

2) Its "They're" not "There". That's the 100th time I've seen you get lost over the difference between "Their", "There", and "They're". For someone who asserts he is smarter than everyone else, you sure have a fucked up command of the English language!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
2) Its "They're" not "There". That's the 100th time I've seen you get lost over the difference between "Their", "There", and "They're". For someone who asserts he is smarter than everyone else, you sure have a fucked up command of the English language!

My guess is that he does it due to knowing it bothers you.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
:D Good thing I just finished drinking my coffee, else I would have spit it out laughing. Thanks for the bit of humor this afternoon. :)

I know how wet your panties get when you hear Romney's name. I just didn't want you and incorruptible losing your marbles over yet another Romney gaff.

My guess is that he does it due to knowing it bothers you.

Yeah, either hes being illiterate on purpose or he is actually that uneducated.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I know how wet your panties get when you hear Romney's name. I just didn't want you and incorruptible losing your marbles over yet another Romney gaff.

What gaff? Only in libtard looney land can you infer what you're inferring. It truly is the mind of the liberal.