Did RNC "Scripted" Rules Change Start A Civil War In The Republican Party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I disagree with the way it was done, but the guy insinuates the results were scripted; they were not. There are LARGE white sections (which means do not read this) that gives the speaker the ability to shift to a different part of the speech if needed. They almost cut it out of the video, but did not it reads:

[If objection is heard, go to SCENARIO 1]

You can see it at 3:24. This means the person speaking changes to scenario 1 and reads that instead of the default scenario (scenario 0).

Scripting not found. There is still a reason to be upset, but it being scripted is simply not true.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I don't what else you could call that but scripted, but whatever floats your boat.

What happened here was a classic situation-experienced professional pols against enthusiastic but nephophyte libertarian Rand supporters. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone (but the Randites, I suppose) that they got their knees chopped out from underneath them.

The real question is how long and how many liberatarians are going to continue to waste their time and energy trying to remold the GOP. It just isn't going to happen, those in control arent' giving it up. Look who they selected out of a field of a dozen prospects-a uber-wealthy financial chop-shop operatior whose main goal is to cut his income tax rate to 1%. You honestly think your goals and intentions are remotely in line with his?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If you want to get pedantic, then you could say the branching decision tree was all scripted. If yes, continue. If no, go to 1. The outcome was not scripted, though, which is what the video is saying.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I don't what else you could call that but scripted, but whatever floats your boat.

What happened here was a classic situation-experienced professional pols against enthusiastic but nephophyte libertarian Rand supporters. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone (but the Randites, I suppose) that they got their knees chopped out from underneath them.

The real question is how long and how many liberatarians are going to continue to waste their time and energy trying to remold the GOP. It just isn't going to happen, those in control arent' giving it up. Look who they selected out of a field of a dozen prospects-a uber-wealthy financial chop-shop operatior whose main goal is to cut his income tax rate to 1%. You honestly think your goals and intentions are remotely in line with his?

They have been fighting tooth and nail to get rid of the liberty minded GOP members, local conventions have been rife with underhanded rule changes and new rules. The last county convention here the chairman, and credentials committee chair got raped for adding delegates that did not bother to vote, or even voted democrat, and for straight up lying, denying public records, and minutes from the convention, they got taken to court, and lost big time because the whole thing was recorded, so this time around they passed a rule that no one except "authorized" entities can record the convention. They are shysters.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

I disagree, the liberty movement has already shown that they can fairly easily take over smaller local levels of government. Some of their ideas were put onto the GOP platform (if they follow it I would be damned surprised), and the resent RNC allowed non Paul supporters (namely Santorum/Gingrich delegates) to see how blatantly corrupt the GOP is. For instance there was a press conference later that day where numerous other states that Paul did not win came out and openly said it was bullshit, especially those from Texas.

If your comments held true then the evangelical Christians would have never been able to do it in the 80's either.

Just give it time, they are hemorrhaging the minority and youth vote and depending on the ass kicking they get in November it could be sooner than people think that a liberty candidate wins a nomination (POTUS election is another matter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39W91O-rUg

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Romney's main, and in fact only, goal is to become President.

Stop implying Romney has any actual principles :awe:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Conventions these days are a joke. They are scripted by both sides.

I really think that we are seeing the end of an era. I actually remember staying up late as a little kid (yes, I grew up in a politically active and aware family) and waiting to see if someone was actually picked by delegates actually voting. Many times the VP pick was really up in the air before the convention started and was decided by the delegates at the conventions.

The last several conventions this has all been perfunctory and geared for the prime TV hours. Everything has all been decided before hand. It's just the coronation of the queen at the beauty pageant.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
nextJin: You have a point about the evangelicals, but from my viewpoint they are fundamenetally incompatible with libertarians-one wants government to be the moral authoritarian and interfere in every nook and cranny of our lives, while the others believe the exact opposite. I don't see how one party will be able to contain both factions in the long run. They have been successful so far because the moral authoritarians have almost exclusively directed their actions against other groups of citizens, but sooner or later the libertarians have to wake up to this hypocrisy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not sure about the source of this info, but from what I understand the real objectionable part of these rule changes don't kick in until 2016. Allegedly, the RNC leadership will be able to arbitrarily pick delegates in all 50 states regardless of what local State Republicans choose.

Again, not sure of the source's accuracy on this.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
The rules were immediately implemented. They supposed to go over all rules before the primaries in 2016. Otherwise all liberty delegates would have been seated.

It doesn't really matter otoh because it only effects national conventions which is every 4 years anyway. I

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Let me guess, OP is a Dr Ron Paul supporter.

Would the Dr Ron Paul supporters like to have some cheese to go with their whine???

Sure I supported him, but I told everyone he wouldn't win. I was more into the taking over the GOP aspect, this thread however was to point out blatant disregard for rules basically showing an obvious oligarchy.

It was way more than just the few Paul delegates who were let into the convention that were challenging this ruling. The crowd was evenly split and no one called for a proper vote count.

But feel free to keep lobbing the Paul bombs, he is retired and now irrelevant in politics. Par the course as they say for these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.