Did Nvidia kill my card?

Dropmachine

Jul 10, 2007
So, what with the recall on the 196.75 drivers, I posted this up on Nvidias forum...

So, a couple of weeks ago I was playing COD, and figured I would update my drivers to see if I could squeek more performance out of my EVGA 8800 GTS 512. I installed the newest drivers (196) and called it a night. My computer stays on all the time too.

The next day I went to go play COD MW2 as usual, and after about 10 minutes I got massive artifacts and a huge crash. Found that a bit weird. So, I tried again. No dice. 10 minutes in, crashed out. Whole system went down this time.

At this point, i began having issues in other areas of the computer as well, such as watching videos, and occasionally sound issues. Then my web access got spotty. We started trouble shooting things, and in the end we decided something went horribly wrong somewhere, but NEVER did we suspect the video drivers. Why? I guess in hindsight its pretty obvious, but I guess we just trusted Nvidia. My first thought was that just like windows of old, vista had a limited lifespan, and it was just due for a format and reinstall. No big deal.

Anyhow, reinstalled Vista, reinstalled the video drivers (196 again), and everything was fine. Then i tried playing a video and the whole system went to hell. Crash, massive artifacts, the whole bit. Lovely.

Chatting with the shop I get my stuff at, and the tech said it was more then likely the motherboard dying. Happens, he says. To be fair, the system is over 2 years old, and I run it pretty hard.

So, MB goes off to be warrantied (ASUS RULES).

In the meantime, I built a new machine up with an ASUS P6T6/ i920. However, it wouldn't post with the 8800 in there. Turns out the card is dead. Makes me wonder what ASUS will say about the MB, and if its dead at all.

So since the 196 drivers just got recalled, is it possible that the problem with the fan fried my vid card? Everything was running just peachy until I upgraded those drivers. In retrospect i wish I had made the connection, but now I am sitting here with a fried card and EVGA are dicks and refusing my warranty rights. Any feedback from you guys?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
No actually that is a nvidia driver issue. I read about the callback

When you went to their site all it showed for WHQL latest was 196.21

They took it off the site because people were having the same problems your describing, like cant watch videos properly and net giving issues and stuff hitting the fan.

This didn't affect all users as I am on 196.75 whql and things are great.

Soo ya you need to install the older drivers. nVidia admitted all this and took it off.

Good news is its not your hardware.

Its the driver my friend. Soo just use 196.21 until some newer drivers come out on nvidia page... You can only find these drivers 196.75 on third party sites. Majore booboo by nVidia and Im sorry you had to go through all this.

As I said this doesnt affect all users, just some.

thanks

WinGeek

Feb 22, 2010
Oh My God! I was also thinking of updating my drivers, but thank God i read this post of yours..I got goosebumps :D
I mean i would have died if something like that happen to my system :(
I hope its all going ok with your PC now

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Oh My God! I was also thinking of updating my drivers, but thank God i read this post of yours..I got goosebumps :D
I mean i would have died if something like that happen to my system :(
I hope its all going ok with your PC now

The drivers were pulled down by Nvidia, so you wouldn't be able to download the problematic version. (at least from the official site).

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
but now I am sitting here with a fried card and EVGA are dicks and refusing my warranty rights. Any feedback from you guys?

I have a hard time believing this, EVGA has the best warranty/customer service in the business. I forgot to register my mobo with them and when it died they went in and back dated my registration for their lifetime warranty.

Dropmachine

Jul 10, 2007
EVGA has refused to do anything with my warranty, even though thier system says I registered 4 months later, at 5:30am. Why they think I would bother registering 4 months later knowing the warranty wouldn't be valid, let alone registering at 5:30 am....I explained that if I'm up at 5:30 am, I'm either running to the can for an emergency, I'm on fire, or I got company. :)

Either way, registering my vid card would be the last thingon my mind. ;)

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Correct me if im wrong I believe its only aftermarket cards with custom fan jobs which were affected by this. EVGA sticks pretty reference so I doubt you would have been affected even if you actually did install the 196.75 drivers.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I wonder how many of those dead non-reference designs will be RMA-denied because people weren't using the vendor supplied/approved driver. After all, the design is not a manufacturing defect.

These manufacturers are running on razor thin margins so losing even a few hundred thousand $ thanks to an NV screwup is not going to be something they'll look forward to.

Dropmachine

Jul 10, 2007
EVGA has stepped up and is going to RMA my card. Credit where its due, they are giving me the support they should, and thats to be commended. I still don't know if it was the drivers that killed it, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Either way, I'm impressed with EVGA.