Did I spend Four Hours Working On The Yard For Nothing?

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
So, in anticipation of spring and summer I wanted to patch a few areas in the backyard. I spent Saturday raking up dead grass and thatch, then used a garden weasel to break up the soil about 2 inches deep on all the area I'm seeding. I seeded, raked it in, added straw, and watered, everything that got the rest of my yard looking great (best one in the neighborhood).

Then I realized...

TruGreen came the Tuesday before (4 days before) and sprayed fertilizer and pre-emergent.

Am I fucked? Did I do all that for nothing because the pre-emergent will keep the grass from growing? Or will it just reduce the amount that will grow?

I am looking for anything hopefull here! If it helps, I did use enough seed for about 4000 sqft on an area of about 500 sqft.

Edit: I'm retarded. To OT I go! Unless someone is politicking for my yard, in which case, carry on!

Jan 25, 2011
G062H.gif

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ carrots or cheezepuffs? It is possible that Obama actually did him a good service.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ What, made it so he could no longer afford carrots?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I cried over spilled chia seeds. (An absolute bitch to clean up).

Nov 30, 2006
Planting grass in the Spring is rarely successful in my experience as it's almost impossible for it to make it through Summer without dying no matter how diligent I am at watering. I blame Obama for this. My best success has been planting after Labor Day and keeping it well watered for a month or so until cool weather arrives (I'm in St. Louis). The roots grow during the Winter and are much more capable of handling the following Summer's heat.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
your rabbits won't eat carrots off the ground?

I dont know.

They are spoiled. If they do not a carrot when their food bowls are filled up they get mad.

I'll drop a carrot on the ground, try to give it to them and report back.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Planting grass in the Spring is rarely successful in my experience as it's almost impossible for it to make it through Summer without dying no matter how diligent I am at watering. I blame Obama for this. My best success has been planting after Labor Day and keeping it well watered for a month or so until cool weather arrives (I'm in St. Louis). The roots grow during the Winter and are much more capable of handling the following Summer's heat.

Yeah, I did most of my planting last fall, the areas I re-seeded were dug up by a mole and a dog trying to find the mole. Was hoping that because it was a smaller area it wouldnt be hard to keep up on watering.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I dont know.

They are spoiled. If they do not a carrot when their food bowls are filled up they get mad.

I'll drop a carrot on the ground, try to give it to them and report back.

how does a rabbit get mad at their masters? Do they refuse to eat their own pooh?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Don't think your question has been answered yet, but yes, you are fucked. The grass won't be able to germinate with the pre-emergent on it. I go through pretty much the same thing every spring although I haven't gone as far as doing the actual work. The weather changes, I want to get outside and I start thinking about doing some seeding and then I remember that it won't grow. By the time I'm certain it will, it's too close to the hot months so it gets put off to the fall when I decide to just say fuck it and the cycle repeats.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i love the tags.

btw Tubesocks rock. fuck all the haters. New socks are amazing. nothing better.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I, for one, support the grassroots movement to susseed from your lawn. I don't care if it starts a turf war.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Don't think your question has been answered yet, but yes, you are fucked. The grass won't be able to germinate with the pre-emergent on it. I go through pretty much the same thing every spring although I haven't gone as far as doing the actual work. The weather changes, I want to get outside and I start thinking about doing some seeding and then I remember that it won't grow. By the time I'm certain it will, it's too close to the hot months so it gets put off to the fall when I decide to just say fuck it and the cycle repeats.

LOL But the truth is spoke. Pre-emergent blocks EVERYTHING.
Fall seeding is the best. Lets the seeds get all nicely watered get baby roots going..... and ready for the spring pop.

If you notice, crab grass LOVES to make an appearance mid summer. I have been told at PE stuff is only good for about 3 to 4 months and my yard supports that theory.
I usually re-apply in June.
You COULD patch then (If you don't re-apply).... But you must water LIKE CRAZY.