Did I short my AGP slot ????

handoverfist

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
I get the system beeps when I try to use my GeForce 2. The fan works, but it does not run at full speed. If I flick it, it starts to run at full speed, and then slows back down. I found an old pci card, which I'm using right now. Do I need a new vid card :confused:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Did you do anything you think may have shorted it? It sounds like just the typical cheapo fan going out problem outside of the system beeps.

What beeps are they? It's possible you have a separate problem.

good luck

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Give us as much info on your whole setup as possible. Is the GF2 new or has it previously worked? I take it your mobo is AGP2.0 (the standard not AGP2x the multiplier).

handoverfist

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
1.1 T-bird
Asus a7v using 1009 bios

Yes, the card has worked previously. I am getting 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which my manual describes as "video card not found or video card memory bad"..... I can get it to boot normally, using an old pci card. And yes, I have an AGP PRO slot. Looks like my sound blaster live card went out also :( Can't seem to get that to work either. This all happened after I was hooking up a 2nd hard drive to my system. I didn't do anything wierd though, that would cause these problems. And merely hooking up a hdd shouldn't have done anything. Thanks for the help!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
You're sure the thing is pushed in the slot all the way? AGP slots are pretty finicky about that.
I'll assume that you did the work on the insides while the computer was off.;)
Do you have access to another computer that you can try the soundblaster and the videocard in?

handoverfist

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
yes, I made sure that the card was seated properly, and yes the compy was off :) . I don't have another comp with an agp slot, but I can test out the soundcard. Will have to do that tomorrow.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Almost certainly a bad PSU. I'd suggest you get hold of a 350W+ manu'd by Antec or Enermax although ToPower, SFLower and Sparkle should be fine if your budget is very tight. With a 1.1ghz CPU you really shouldn't settle for anything less than a GF3, Rad9000PRO or Rad8500 (inc LE).