Did I push my system too hard?

hunkeelin

Feb 14, 2012
So I've been experiencing strange issues lately. Mainly while I was gaming. (temps are fine btw).

The first time I encounter this strange problem is a day ago when my left click is not working properly. Everything else is fine though Then just now my second monitor turned completely white. Everything else is working properly though. I can drag things to my second monitor but I can't see anything but white.

Both issue happens when I am running highly graphical demanding game. Both of time my computer take an unusual amount of time to shutdown thus I shutdown manually. I check the log and the event log say kernel power; which I believe is when I forcefully shutdown my rig. if it's the psu's fault the whole computer should freeze.

So what's the problem?
cpu? (4.4ghz at 1.275v proved stable with realbench h264 8hrs)
gpu? (1528mhz 970 sli)
psu? (1000w)
ram? (32gb at 2400mhz)
or software? my guess is software because hardware issue only cause the whole system to freeze not part of the system.
Thanks

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
You have GTX 970 SLI running at 1528MHz? That's a massive overclock. I would start by setting both cards to stock settings, see if the monitor issue reoccurs.

Does your mouse's left click work in a different PC? Since it's a logitech ,you might be looking at a driver issue, try removing the drivers and see if that helps, then reinstall the drivers.

hunkeelin

Feb 14, 2012
You have GTX 970 SLI running at 1528MHz? That's a massive overclock. I would start by setting both cards to stock settings, see if the monitor issue reoccurs.

Does your mouse's left click work in a different PC? Since it's a logitech ,you might be looking at a driver issue, try removing the drivers and see if that helps, then reinstall the drivers.

I don't think it's logitech problem. I think i oc my gpu too much. However I would like to pinpoint whether it is my 1000w psu or i simply oc too much.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I really doubt it's the PSU. You shouldn't be anywhere near the PSU's max capacity.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Agreed, I'd try dialing back your GPUs a bit. I had similar behavior but with a black screen when I pushed my 7950s memory overclock too far.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I don't think it's logitech problem. I think i oc my gpu too much. However I would like to pinpoint whether it is my 1000w psu or i simply oc too much.

I would think the easy answer to that question is to simply run everything at stock speeds. A 1000Watt power supply (assuming good brand) should have no problems running your rig.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I've been seeing a lot of mouse problems like that lately. Clicks randomly not registering on several systems. It's probably just a bug in the latest NSA keylogger/clicklogger malware that was injected in one of the recent windows updates. Nothing to worry about. Sacrifices must be made for the greater good. Are you unpatriotic? I say all this only half jokingly.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Are these the same GPU's you said you may return after you decide if you want to keep them or the 980's in the other thread?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I know, but you said you were goanna return one or the other. You shouldn't be overclocking hardware you don't plan on keeping. Particularly as hard as you are.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

"Thinking" as in "assuming" won't get you far. You need to KNOW.
You need to run appropriate tools and tests to find out what's wrong. It could be a myriad thing, hardware COULD be defective or it could be a single BIOS setting causing instability etc.

First turn down all your overclocks, CPU, Memory, Card and start from there. You cannot test a system whether a component isn't working right if everything is overclocked.

Start with CPU testing (OCCT), memory testing (memtest), card testing with some benchmarks, games, furmark etc. No one here can tell you what's wrong on a forum without actually checking and testing your system.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
With currently hardware, there is no reason to not be able to rule out which overclock is getting you here, since there is no "bus speed" changes at work. Go down to one overclock, test it, and when stability is confirmed move on to the next.