Did I miss something?

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
After the sprint this past weekend I was planning on running some GPU projects, Milkyway and Einstein. But now for some reason I get GPU missing on all systems except my RTX 2080. I did see that Win 10 auto turned my hardware install back on after this last update. I went and downloaded newest drivers and still no go. This is happening on my HD7970, R9 280x and GTX980's. Don't know WTF is up. Event log on all systems detects Open CL fine., Device Manager lists correct driver. I uninstalled Boinc, deleted folder in Program Data rebooted, cleaned registry, and reinstalled everything.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I've been looking at this thread, hoping someone could help you. I've no helpful ideas, other than to perhaps do clean GPU driver uninstalls first. It's one thing you didn't mention.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Yeah, I have the AMD clean up utility and one for nvidia. Effing crazy. GPU's were all fine for the Pent and MW and Einstein sprints in June/July, that was the last time I had them fired up. During the Universe sprint the Win10update appeared that I am sure is the cause of this.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
HAHA, well I am a dumbass. Since Teamviewer has cracked down on users like us, I had set up remote desktop during the sprint. Well that's what did it, or should I say that's what happens. Maybe its been posted before and I missed it. When using RDP, the remotes GPU automatically shuts down. That's why Universe was running fine on the CPU's, but when I chose a GPU project it says its missing. I've spent all morning on this. What a maroon! Any alternatives to TV that are descent with a Android app.

EDIT;: As soon as RDP is off, GPU computing continues fine, verified with separate monitor.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have read the same thing in other forums lately, but I haven't followed closely whether there were any good diagnostics and remedies. (I don't use Win-10-of-the-day, except at work on a computer which I don't administer.)

Which computing capabilities are shown by GPU-z?
What is the contents of C:\ProgramData\Boinc\coproc_info.xml?

Edit, ninja'd by @iwajabitw. :-)

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@iwajabitw , I am using Anydesk. it's not quite as nice as TV, but it works and it has an Android app. Also it is cross-platform, which is nice for my Linux boxes.

Reactions: iwajabitw

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks will check it out.
Make sure if you use AnyDesk with Linux to download it from the AnyDesk website. From my experience, DLing it from the software manager in Linux it didn't work properly/ load at all for me. Going to the website it loaded all necessary components needed to work. (Then again......remember who said this ;))

Reactions: iwajabitw