Question Did I just screw up?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
New build with a 4090 and a 7800x3d (chip has onboard video).

I'm always very careful after I build a rig to try for the cleanest install of all the base drivers such as chipset, audio, LAN, WIFI, etc... There was one on the ASUS site for my MoBo (650E-E) that was called "VGA video" which I assumed is for my onboard video only. And... That I can/should install it to optimize that capability if I ever need to operate on that capability for a while.

Question: In the context of still needing to install my NVIDIA driver for the 4090 did I just create a lot of driver trash that will corrupt a 4090 install or are these 2 drivers totally separate? I assumed the "VGA" driver was for onboard video only and has nothing to do with my NVIDIA driver. i.e. there is an "onboard driver driver" stored in a totally separate location that the actual NVIDIA driver that I'm going to install for the dedicated 4090 graphics card.

Or... Did I assume incorrectly, and will end up with a mess???

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I wouldn't worry about it since the on board is AMD and the 4090 is NVIDIA. Having a backup is always a nice option if you need to troubleshoot the NVIDIA card down the road.

Reactions: Rigg

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Yeah, that's what my gut says but I wanted to be sure my thinking was right... Win 10 seemed to do fine without the driver so my choice is to keep it or revert back to an install point before the VGA driver. I'd assume to the PC, it see the driver as a totally different piece of hardware onboard the CPU as opposed to installed in the PCIe16X slot... Don't want to overthink, but I only build a new rig about every 6 years and I want to make sure I'm doing al I can to avoid handicapping it in any way...

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Nice video. I LOL'd. But, is the underlying message similar to the first answerer: "All good, move along and stop worrying about it..."?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
A specific driver vs generic windows drivers. If you do a dual monitor setup the specific driver might offer better performance but, most dgpu cards have multiple outputs. Ruminating over it though is a waste of time as it will work either way.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Windows 10 can handle multipul gpu drivers.

The Intel users have been doing this all the time with IRIS iGPU, and a dedicated card.
Whats even better is if the dedicated card is an AMD card, because you run quicksync on the iGPU if you ever needed it, and use the AMD gpu for whatever dedicated gpu task you needed.

In your case tho, since your running nvidia, NVEnc is vastly superior to any other encoder, that you wouldn't need to bother.

But yes, you shouldn't have problems with multipul gpu drivers.
Sometimes tho the game might ask you which gpu you want to run, or you need to manually edit the .ini file so your 4090 is the primary GPU in games.

But that be only on very old games.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Thanks for the thorough reply. I ended up having to disable the iGPU in Device Manager to allow the Kraken 73 cooler to read the 4090 temperature (it was reading zero). Next is benchmarking.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Thanks for the thorough reply. I ended up having to disable the iGPU in Device Manager to allow the Kraken 73 cooler to read the 4090 temperature (it was reading zero). Next is benchmarking.

You probably as i stated at to edit a .ini file in your appdata folder.
But you should of emailed NXZT... oh wait... there tech support is next to hopeless.
You probably can find out how to do it with enough googlefu and some lite sifu skills.