did i get really lucky or am i doing something wrong? g3258 OC

aznb0b

Sep 7, 2014
http://imgur.com/UWM3KRf

Does that look normal? Take note of the vcore and the 4400mhz on each core.

Also temp 4 and 6 fluctuate like crazy and i have no idea what they actually are. My googlefu says that its just a bug from incompatibility with something??

In bios im at 1.18 cpu core voltage with a 44x multiplier on the cpu.

Have not had a bsod. I mainly only play LoL and ao far i havemt had any issues at all with anything.

Any help would be appreciated

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Its hard to tell without a CPU-Z screenshot or equivalent.

You may just be lucky. Its likely however, that the voltage reading isn't accurate.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
It looks like you are at idle. Take a CPU-Z while running hyper pi and it will show the actual vcore.

mistersprinkles

May 24, 2014
Download:

CPU-Z
HWMonitor
CoreTemp
Prime95
Intel Burn Test

Run prime95 in blend mode and open CPU-Z/HWmonitor and coretemp and take a screenshot.

To find out if you actually have a stable overclock, run Prime 95 for 6 hours in blend mode. Monitor CPU temps in coretemp and make sure they don't go over 90 degrees. If it doesn't crash or give an error, you have a nice stable overclock. To be extra sure run IBT on maximum and see if it passes. IBT will make your temperatures stupidly high. Higher than they'll ever go in normal use. That's not the point of it. It's a stability test.

If you really are stable at that clock speed at a low voltage like this odds are you can push that chip to a good 4.8Ghz or so without temps or voltage getting ridiculous.

aznb0b

Sep 7, 2014
I have IBT and ran it at standard and passed. Ill try it on maximum. However when I look at the log for IBT it says my cpu speed was only 3
29ghz, any idea why? Bc openhwmonitor says 4400 and so does cpuz. My temps were 60c max during a 5 run of IBT on standard. Ill try maximum and see what happens, how many tests should i run?

Also ive seen SO many conflicting posts about voltage in the g3258. Ive seen ppl go crazy about someone at 1.25v saying thats too high. Then ive seen people post at 1.3-1.4v and people telling them their fine. Is it a safe assumption that the voltage only matters bc of the temperature???

Im using a corsair h60 liquid cooler with a corsair sp120 on the radiator. Also another sp120 pulling exhaust out of the back. However i ran out of fan plugs on my mobo so i have 1xsp120 not doing anything bc i plugged in the 2 default case fans for intake. Figured 2x intake and 2x exhaust is better than 3 exhaust and 1 intake.

Also coretemp crashes my computer for some reason?? I tried installing 3 times and everytime i try to run the program my pc locks up.

And my voltage bounces around in cpuz ALWAYS. Even when playing LoL the voltage bounces. When i used oc genie to overclock, it put me at 4ghz @ 1.25v and it was static in cpuz then. But i thought 1
25v was too high bc of posts i saw so i went the manual OC mode.

Last edited:

aznb0b

Sep 7, 2014
The screenshot from above was while playing League of Legends. (Pretty much the only thing i do with pc besides web surfing)

Toro 45

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
. But i thought 1
25v was too high bc of posts i saw so i went the manual OC mode.

With the cooling you have 1.25v is fine. up the voltage and crank that bitch up! if it's truly stable at the setting you have now you should hit 4.6 without to much trouble