Did I erase/install driver update correctly?

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Hello all
I'm always uncomfortable with this process, and have had lots of problems in the past.
I just did a format/install useing W7 64 on the PC in my sig.
During the installation process it appears to have added some default Windows drivers for 4800. I was updating Windows, and accidentaly allowed it to also install the further optional update for the 4800 drivers.
From previous use, I have saved the most recent AMD Catalyst Suite driver and accessories package on my spare HD, ready to install.
I had installed it all before quite some time ago, its quite a large menu and options on the desktop once installed. It seemed to work OK for a while, but then had been having video issues, so tried the followeing.
IIUC, I should uninstall and wipe every trace of teh W7 drivers by useing DriveWiper. The problem is I used that on my old Vista install, and it didn't work. Additionaly, it gave several options to wipe, and I wasn't sure which one(s). IIRC, there was AMD, ATI, Nvidia chipsets etc.
Alternatively, should I just leave it alone with the default W7 drivers?

I have a brand new W7 install and would like to do it properly this time
Thanks

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Driver wipe software is not generally needed and it can cause issues. Just do a regular uninstall. For the 4800 series, the default drivers are probably fine. You can also just download the recommended driver package from AMD, but I doubt there would be much difference for an older card like that.