Did commercials increase the volume of their sound?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
As far as commericals, the FCC can only control this for "broadcast" media, i.e., over the air.

Cable, satellite, streaming, can probably turn up the volume on commercials.
It applies to cable & satellite operators too. Streaming???

Q: What does the CALM Act require the FCC to do?
A: Specifically, the CALM Act directs the Commission to establish rules that require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV providers or other multichannel video program distributors (MVPDs) to apply the Advanced Television Systems Committee's (ATSC) A/85 Recommended Practice ("ATSC A/85 RP") to commercial advertisements they transmit to viewers.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
DNC = FTC
I think the point is the FCC rules are not very well enforced, and there are infinite violations of the rules every day and after years of extensive proven near infinite abuse, the problems continue to be ignored. Things just keep getting worse.

Nov 17, 2019
I think the point is the FCC rules are not very well enforced, and there are infinite violations of the rules every day and after years of extensive proven near infinite abuse, the problems continue to be ignored. Things just keep getting worse.

To date, the Commission has brought 134 enforcement actions against companies and telemarketers for Do Not Call, abandoned call, robocall and Registry violations. To date, 121 of these FTC enforcement actions have been resolved, and in those cases the agency has recovered over $50 million in civil penalties and $71 million in redres ...

Could they do more? No doubt.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You just made my point for me Lost_in_the_HTTP :)
many billions and billions of illegal robocalls, many billions of dollars funneled through their scams, and they have been fined a fraction of 1% of their take ...

Its an all you can eat buffet of lies

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That reminds me of how some people at work will randomly have something blast through their speakers and they'll be scrambling to turn the volume down lol. Jarrs me out every time. That's why I always keep the volume off or very low on my work PC.
When I had a mentally, concentration demanding office cubicle job (programming, database administration) that demanded mistake free work, I was often quite upset at intrusive noise. It just came with the territory and was a vexing problem. I didn't try to explain to people, it would only make matters worse usually. I lobbied for my own office and did finally get one, although for a time I had to share it with one other person. It was a very small space, but that was secondary, I didn't crave a lavish office, not at all, I just wanted enough isolation where I could effectively do my work.

One thing I looked into was noise isolating headphones. My online investigations led me to Etymotic Research earbuds. I bought a set of ER4S, which were a big help! I've never been without ER4S or ER4P ever since, and bought a couple sets of their cheaper offerings recently. The sound is great, the comfort very decent, I can wear them for hours, something I could never do with over the ear headphones, and the noise isolation is superb. I wear them now on my stationary bike trainer while watching videos and I don't even notice the intense noise from the big box fan in the room.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You just made my point for me Lost_in_the_HTTP :)
many billions and billions of illegal robocalls, many billions of dollars funneled through their scams, and they have been fined a fraction of 1% of their take ...

Its an all you can eat buffet of lies
I agree, something must be done. I don't think that greasy bone spurs president gives a damn about things like this. He doesn't have a phone system that he knows anything about that is beset with robocalls. If it does not effect him personally he doesn't care about it. He's that kind of person. IMO, we need some Democratic administrations fueled by visionary public servants, people with energy, who really care and want to make life better for us, not just for themselves and the deep pocketed people who get them elected.