did california sales tax get lowered?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
I dunno... i thought the 7.5% was only for business that don't have a place where the consumer can pick up the item... (ie like Newegg)... but then again some of these retailers are still charging 8%.

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
Whoa some California haters here. Yeah it can be corrupt. Yeah it steals water from all over the state and the more eastern rivers (other states tap in too), but the argument can be made that by taking these resources it has a higer rate of return than other states. Entertainment, small fries, besides, I think its something like India or Iran that produces more movies a year than anyone else. Agriculture, a result of the water stealing, but we make the food that not only feeds the majority of the US, but also other countries. It passed Iowa in like the 70's or something. Silicon Valley, technology to the world, not only physical but intellectual property as well. The GDP of California is the 6th largest of the world, imagine that, larger than all but 5 countries in the world (one of which is the US anyways). Earthquakes and falling into the ocean, not probably, in fact Alaska has MASSIVELY destructive earthquakes, more so than California. The point of this is that California, if regarded as a business, California is one of the biggest around. Bigger the business, the more chances of corruption, the more complex, and the more difficult it is to run effectively and efficiently. Besides, America should be one right now.

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

<< bought a pencil sharpener at office depot today. lol.

receipt showed 7.5% sales tax.
did it get lowered from 8%? or is this office depot just weird?
>>

i never knew cali tax was at 8%. most i ever saw it was prolly at 7.75% which got lowered to 7.5% around january earlier this year.

hulegan

Jun 5, 2001

<< bought a pencil sharpener at office depot today. lol.

i never knew cali tax was at 8%. most i ever saw it was prolly at 7.75% which got lowered to 7.5% around january earlier this year.
>>

It's 8.25% in Frisco

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
SinfulWeeper don't you have to be an Alaskan native Indian to get those gov't checks???I mean you can't just move to Alaska and start getting dividend checks