Did anyone watch 20/20 last night

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
They showed these insanely rich dudes, that have billions. Then these dudes brag when they give away $100 million. However many of them have basically giving away only 1-2% of their money.

The other interesting thing is that they took the salvation army red pots from sioux falls, SD (where income is MUCH lower) and compared them to those in San Francisco. Surprisingly (or not) the ones from South Dakota contained nearly twice the amount.

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Taxes FTW...
Some of the wealthiest ppl in the world are proponents of progressive income taxes that take more from the wealthy. They are the ones who recognize that their success was not created in a vacuum.

In my opinion it's a hell of a lot better than taxing property, where someone is forced to give up family land with sentimental value simply because they cannot pay for it.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
While Stossel usually makes me roll my eyes, it was nice to see that the fallacy of Americans being cheap on the world stage was finally cleared up. Those trust fund punks need their asses kicked.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I saw a graph of charitable giving as a percentage of net worth in Newsweek. It was interesting - I think the highest percentage was the 1 million to 10 million range, next highest was the 50-75k range, and it was a sort of reverse bell curve in between. I think it dropped off a bit above 10 million and it was low below 50k.

Interpret that how you wish... I think charitable giving as a percentage of INCOME would be a more meaningful statistic for anyone below the $1 million mark, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and when I say the 50-75k range, that's income range. The graph was a percentage of net worth, but it was broken down into income brackets.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
I saw a graph of charitable giving as a percentage of net worth in Newsweek. It was interesting - I think the highest percentage was the 1 million to 10 million range, next highest was the 50-75k range, and it was a sort of reverse bell curve in between. I think it dropped off a bit above 10 million and it was low below 50k.

Interpret that how you wish... I think charitable giving as a percentage of INCOME would be a more meaningful statistic for anyone below the $1 million mark, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and when I say the 50-75k range, that's income range. The graph was a percentage of net worth, but it was broken down into income brackets.

It should be percentage of DISPOSABLE income.

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: mugs

It should be percentage of DISPOSABLE income.

BINGO was his name oh.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80
Do you guys realize how hard it is to give away billions of dollars?

I'm sure if you had $30 billion, it'd be a lot like giving away $1 of $30.

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
While Stossel usually makes me roll my eyes, it was nice to see that the fallacy of Americans being cheap on the world stage was finally cleared up. Those trust fund punks need their asses kicked.

If you look at it GDP wise America is VERY cheap compared to other Western countries.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Andyb23

If you look at it GDP wise America is VERY cheap compared to other Western countries.

you obviously didn't watch the show.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Exactly. No comments until you know what you're talking about.

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Um no comments until you actually read a book?

Is that too hard too ask?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Um no comments until you actually read a book?

Is that too hard too ask?
Then you need to do A LOT more reading, or read books that paint the whole picture.