Did anyone else not care for Guardians of the Galaxy?

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I finally got around to watching it. Maybe it's just due to all of the hype I've heard since it came out. I'm not one to purposely discredit something just because it's "trendy to go against the masses" (I liked Avatar), but I just genuinely didn't get this one. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great. Characters were hardly developed, every time they got into a jam the solution came out of thin air, and it seemed like half of the races were just humanoids with exotically-colored skin. Far too many scenes were predictable.

I don't know, maybe I'm just jaded. I'd give it a solid 6/10, but not the 10+++++/10 that so many first-hand accounts seem to insist on.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
It was fun. That is why the high ratings. I loved it, more please.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
A sequel is scheduled to be released on May 5, 2017. GOTG made $774.2 Million. :awe:
Enjoyed watching it again in my Panasonic 3D Plasma HDTV.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
I bought the steelbook. The steelbook is sitting unopened on my shelf. It was that good.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
4xMp7YO.jpg

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
I liked it next to Winter soldier. It didn't take itself seriously. I mean look at the ending. The oldies music really fits well with the movie.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I liked it next to Winter soldier. It didn't take itself seriously. I mean look at the ending. The oldies music really fits well with the movie.

I have the vinyl special edition. The old songs are the best part.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The soundtrack was a lot better than the film :) The film was amusing/fun enough I guess, but like the Avengers movies, I didn't like it enough to get on DVD.

I finally got around to watching it. Maybe it's just due to all of the hype I've heard since it came out. I'm not one to purposely discredit something just because it's "trendy to go against the masses" (I liked Avatar)

Hmm. I thought Avatar was utterly forgettable.

May 11, 2008
I enjoyed it. Gave me a good evening of movie watching. The problem with developing the story line of the characters is time. It takes time, and would have made the movie 3 hours long or turn it into a duology or trilogy.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
fun movie, nice graphics, it had a plot.
I enjoyed that movie just like I enjoy most other similar movies.
Of course, they're not movies that will be remembered.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I finally watched it about 2 weeks ago. Here are the notes I made in my personal file:

Rotten Tomatoes info:

Average Rating: 7.7/10
Reviews Counted: 259
Fresh: 235
Rotten: 24

121 minutes

Watched last night... well, impressive CGI, production in general. Kinda nonstop action at times, virtually too much, for me anyway, relentless, but there's lots of other stuff, interactions of characters, tons of that. Took Star Wars and ran with it, the cliches including the intergallactic party one, obligatory, right?

IT'S CAMPY AS HELL A LOT OF THE TIME, putting you on, putting themselves on, doesn't take itself too seriously, although the music a lot of the time tries to set a serious tone anyway. Sprinkled with golden oldies songs, that's part of the theme, the main character (if you can call him that), has from his youth been soooooooooooooo into pop songs, his mom on her death bed gave him a mix tape of pop songs on cassette!
- - - -

IMO it's not terrific, is riding on the coat tails of the Star Wars franchise, which I tried hard to get into but really couldn't! I guess I liked it better than the Star Wars movies. For pure spoof of those I like Space Balls.

They could hardly have made it plainer that sequel(s) be coming!

Last edited:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
much more enjoyable than i expected. not great, but pretty good and had some fun bits. id watch it again at some point.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I gave it a 6/10 but the soundtrack bumped it up to an 8/10.

It did what it set out to do in my opinion.

Feb 16, 2005
I really, really enjoyed it and watch it whenever it comes on Starz. I liked the references that were thrown out, Kevin Bacon, Jackson Pollock, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i didn't care for it, but i posted my feelings in the big ass movie thread. it was very meh with forgettable characters.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I loved it and gave it a 10/10. I even watched it twice back to back, and then got it again from my library two weeks later.

It has great music, perfectly intertwined to the story. Everything that made the original Star Wars great - cool gadgets, aliens, different worlds, interesting ships, etc. And, it is the first movie in a long time that made me laugh.

Will watch again.