Did anyone celebrate New Years dry/sober?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I went into Boston to watch the fireworks and whatnot. I brought a little wino bottle of Southern Comfort (375ml in a flat glass bottle). I drunk the whole bottle in about 2 hours, hehe. It's funny how you feel fine one minute, then the next minute you're buzzing like crazy.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I only had two shots of Wild Turkey and 2 regular mixed Wild Turkey drins... If it wasn't on a full stomach I wouldn't have had any! I don't enjoy being drunk because of how it makes you completely stupid. There was only 2 other people at the party that stayed sober though so I didn't have a whole bunch of people to have intelligent conversations with anyways :)

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
I don't drink alcohol. Besides, what the point of getting drunk during New Years? You would be too drunk to know what's going on and why everyone is celebrating.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I stayed dry this year. I usually don't get that drunk anyway. I stopped doing that about 5 years ago.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
yakko, that's the wiser part of getting older! :D

Hope you had a lovely time.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
One lesson learned this year: Don't let you grandparents buy the Champagne, esp if they don't speak English. They bought non-alcoholic :( Had to spike it with Vodka.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
after drinking so much on dec. 30, i gave up all booze last night.
yay for designated drivers!

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
I was sober as all get out even though we had a fridge full of acohol ... the thing was I was trying my best to stay up for new years ... E_mc_2 and I stayed awake just long enough to kiss as the ball dropped .. we were both asleep within 10 minutes of that ...

Elita1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
I have never understood the appeal of getting sloshed. I occasionally have a glass of wine with my meal but that's pretty much it.
Yep! last Nnight I enjoyed my ever-favorite coca-cola and had the most hilarious game of Star Wars monopoly(yes we are official nerds) with my hubby and some friends and made fun of Dick Clark. Had a wonderful time, and rang in the new year in my Hubby's arms. That's all I could ever ask for:)

Jun 18, 2000
Me and my cousin were the only sober folks at a party of about 10 last night. That's probably good seeing howz we were the only people driving (he drove his girlfriend home and I took these 3 fine [read: drunk:p] ladies).;)

beamrider

Oct 4, 2000
Sat here and played Q3TA most of the evening, didn't even notice midnight had passed until about 12:15am, when RR went out here........lolol........No boozie for me......:)

DadofOne

Oct 12, 2000
Got to spend it in the ER---wife was having chest pains, but the good news is nothing showed on the tests. The bad news is nothing showed on the tests..... Managed to miss Boston's 90 seconds of fireworks---seems they had a Y2K+1 computer glitch.

Mister T

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
hey Rossman, check out techbargains man,
they gave a coupon for buy.com, amsterdamn store,
buy 2 dime bags, get 1 free :)
j/k

Would not say sobre for the most part.
Getting sloshed sucks. I see no point in it.
Controllably buzzed is nice.
New Years isnt that much of a huge deal.
The calendar changes.
/me twirls his fingers in the air.
;)

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
I never drink so I had a sober New Years! :) I like being sober I have control over what I do and I remember what I do and what other people do.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I had a few drinks but was very sober,I cannot drink that much now that I`m getting older.

:)

mHubs

Oct 28, 2000
I was sober as hell, for 2 reasons:
1)I spent the night at home playing CS.
&
2)I'm only 15 and the parents wont let me drink.