Did a very dumb thing. Car sitting for 2 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
My old 2000 Toyota Echo has been sitting outside uncovered in the sunny California weather for 2 years. It had gas in it when I left it. I had no idea that sitting for that long would be bad for it. I only just found out. I figured that at most I would need to just replace the battery, but apparently a lot of other things can go wrong.

I was planning on getting a new battery, siphoning out the old gas, putting in fresh gas, and seeing if it works.

I went to OReilly Auto Parts to get a battery and siphon, and they guy said:

1. Modern cars like the 2000 Echo have something in the tank that prevents siphoning. The gas that is in there is going to have to stay there.

2. He gave me instead this: http://www.amazon.com/28202-Iso-HEET.../dp/B000V4HC7Y

HEET Fuel Line Water Remover. He said put this in, wait a bit, and then the car will be fine to drive.

3. I got a new battery.

The guy said he had a 76 Camaro that had been sitting for 12 years. It started right up with a new battery and the fuel water remover.

This sounds a bit suspicious to me. Everywhere on the web it says to replace the fuel, add in new fuel, get a new battery, and then *maybe* it'll drive. But they also say that the engine is probably dry of oil, the brakes are not seized, and that I should get it towed to a mechanic right away where they will also flush out the entire fuel system. Oh, and gaskets everywhere will be leaking and rotted away.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
2-year-old gasoline should be fine. Just top off the tank with good new fuel when you can and you'll be fine.

There's no way in hell it'll be out of oil and unless you left the parking brake on the whole time there's little chance that anything will be truly seized. Maybe stuck a little, but it should free itself up again.

Just replace the battery and see if it'll start without anything else going on first and then go from there. Obviously double-check all the fluid levels (coolant/oil/brakes) but I'd be shocked if any were dry.

ZV

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
My old 2000 Toyota Echo has been sitting outside uncovered in the sunny California weather for 2 years. It had gas in it when I left it. I had no idea that sitting for that long would be bad for it. I only just found out. I figured that at most I would need to just replace the battery, but apparently a lot of other things can go wrong.

I just.... don't believe that...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
worse would probably be the oil film being nonexistent. IMO.

Yep, but after sitting that long the fuel system will probably have to re-pressurize so it'll likely turn over for a few seconds (circulating oil) before it actually starts.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Did you ever move it during that two year period? I bet all four of your tires have flat spots.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I wouldn't even get a new battery without trying to charge the old one first. I'd just change the oil and call it good.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
another fuzybabybunny thread, no offense dude but it seems you always do something you think you shouldn't have or are very awkward about it then come post on the forums

from women, to photography and now this

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
It was his guest bedroom. :)

FBB, after getting a new battery, drain the tank and get new gas, pull the spark plug wires and, turn the engine over a few times before trying to start.

How do I drain the tank? Like the O'Reilly guy said, there's no way to get a siphon hose in there. Modern cars have a mechanism that allows fluid to get into the tank, but not a rigid tube.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
We all do stupid stuff but most of us are too embarassed to post about it.

There should be a FBB sitcom.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
How do I drain the tank? Like the O'Reilly guy said, there's no way to get a siphon hose in there. Modern cars have a mechanism that allows fluid to get into the tank, but not a rigid tube.

The gas station nozzle is a rigid tube. Or do you mean it won't go to the bottom?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
The gas station nozzle is a rigid tube. Or do you mean it won't go to the bottom?

Won't go to the bottom. About a foot in there is supposedly a block. More like a sieve that allows gas through, but doesn't allow debris and siphons in.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Won't go to the bottom. About a foot in there is supposedly a block. More like a sieve that allows gas through, but doesn't allow debris and siphons in.

Pull the fuel line at the engine, get a big bucket, and turn the key on. The fuel pump will drain the tank.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003

Get a corded, or cordless drill and a 3/8" drill bit.....

justfrank

Feb 18, 2012
The guy said he had a 76 Camaro that had been sitting for 12 years. It started right up with a new battery and the fuel water remover.

That guy's full of it. After 12 yrs, the gas will definitely be NG and I doubt an engine could run on it. 2 yrs, just try starting it.

Have you even tryed to start it after trying to charge the battery?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
you guys are trying to over complicate this. I have had cars that have sat for years (longest was 3 years). Charge the battery (I would get new) and check all fluids (they should be still filled..if nto you have more issues).

IF there is gas in it it should start with some effort. refill with fresh gas if it at least turns over.

No need to drain and refill the gas (unless 3+ years old).

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
I had old gas in my lawn mower that was left there for 2 years. The lawn mower started right up but died after 3 minutes of running. I took the carburetor off and drain the tank . The gas was orange in color. It also clogged up the carburetor. Same with the gas that was left in my gas can. It looked like varnish

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
My car sat for 3 years till the 18th of April, I got in, fired it up and drove it to the gas station for fresh gas. Raced it all day the 20th, came home and parked it.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Ok, so this is what I plan on doing:

1. I've already added the HEET Fuel Water Remover
2. I got a new battery - old battery is beyond dead and disposed of already
3. I'll try turning on the car
4. Immediately go to change the oil.

For future periods of extended storage I'm going to:

1. Make sure all fluids and oil and filter are new.
2. Get 4 jacks and raise it so there's not as much pressure to make the tires go flat, but I won't raise it so much that the wheels hang (bad for suspension)
3. Put fuel stabilizer in the tank.
4. Have the tank be as empty as possible.
5. Pop off the fuel injectors and spray it and the insides with oil - what kind of oil?
6. Take out the battery. Do I have to hook up the batter to a trickle charger somewhere? Would leaving a disconnected battery sitting for a couple years by itself irreparably damage it (eat through the plates, lead to sulphination, etc)?

I'm about to go shopping in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.