Dick Heller (from Heller vs. DC) refused registration for his handgun in DC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

None of which can be deployed on US soil without completely polarizing the population against the government to say nothing of the fragmenting of our military with refusals to act against the citizenry. Revolution is very possible, even against the mighty US...just requires a proper impetus.

Excellent point. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Yes, because in the last throes of a shitty, criminal, constitution-ignoring government that drives its subjects to rise up in arms, the said govenment will kindly consider the finer points of Posse Comitatus. Give me a fucking break.

EDIT:

"Excuse me, but I thing you forgot POLEND (Blackwater)."

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: fallout man

None of which can be deployed on US soil without completely polarizing the population against the government to say nothing of the fragmenting of our military with refusals to act against the citizenry. Revolution is very possible, even against the mighty US...just requires a proper impetus.

Yes, because in the last throes of a shitty, criminal, constitution-ignoring government that drives its subjects to rise up in arms, the said govenment will kindly consider the finer points of Posse Comitatus. Give me a fucking break.

The government may desire it, but the military (usually) knows better than to open itself to certain defeat in a war. A polarized populace could not be resisted, even by the military. We're talking 300:1 odds, with no supply possibilities in a hostile environment. To say nothing of the nearly instant tanking of the economy, making continued military operations impossible. All this while 10,000,000 hunters with high powered rifles pick off targets of opportunity from 600 yards.

No, I'm not saying that kind of situation is what we have now...merely pointing out that should a serious enough event occur that is what it would come to...and no government, no military, could withstand that.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

The government may desire it, but the military (usually) knows better than to open itself to certain defeat in a war. A polarized populace could not be resisted, even by the military. We're talking 300:1 odds, with no supply possibilities in a hostile environment. To say nothing of the nearly instant tanking of the economy, making continued military operations impossible. All this while 10,000,000 hunters with high powered rifles pick off targets of opportunity from 600 yards.

No, I'm not saying that kind of situation is what we have now...merely pointing out that should a serious enough event occur that is what it would come to...and no government, no military, could withstand that.

Step one: Stop playing C&C.

Step two: Climb out of your hypothetical Ivory Tower.

Step three: Welcome back to the real world.

May 16, 2000

Step one: Stop playing C&C.

Step two: Climb out of your hypothetical Ivory Tower.

Step three: Welcome back to the real world.

Step one: I dedicated my life to knowledge and education.

Step two: I joined the military to come to understand it from first-hand experience.

Step three: I am able to theorize about various scenarios using both knowledge and experiences in order to arrive at the most rational and likely conclusions.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

Step two: I joined the military to come to understand it from first-hand experience.

Step three: I am able to theorize about various scenarios using both knowledge and experiences in order to arrive at the most rational and likely conclusions.

And yet, in the proposed scenario, you rely on the weakness of the military (with regard to disobeying orders) to prevent a full-blown nightmare in our country? Really?

Also, you're still willing to tell me that even the pitiful handful of straight-shooting patriots left, after all the "better knowing" fake soldiers go away, will not be able to use technological superiority to wipe out city blocks in order to save their (and their bosses') ass in a scrunch? Really?

But back on topic. This thread is really about how the good people of DC will fight the oppressive government bent on enslaving them and shit. They (all the white and black ones, 'cause the brown Arab ones would be rounded up by now) will do it with Glocks! I have nothing to worry about, since it sounds like they already have quite the arsenal down there, and the government will surely piss off in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

And yet, in the proposed scenario, you rely on the weakness of the military (with regard to disobeying orders) to prevent a full-blown nightmare in our country? Really?

Also, you're still willing to tell me that even the pitiful handful of straight-shooting patriots left, after all the "better knowing" fake soldiers go away, will not be able to use technological superiority to wipe out city blocks in order to save their (and their bosses') ass in a scrunch? Really?

But back on topic. This thread is really about how the good people of DC will fight the oppressive government bent on enslaving them and shit. They (all the white and black ones, 'cause the brown Arab ones would be rounded up by now) will do it with Glocks! I have nothing to worry about, since it sounds like they already have quite the arsenal down there, and the government will surely piss off in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Am I the only one that has absolutely no clue what in the hell you are talking about?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JD50

Am I the only one that has absolutely no clue what in the hell you are talking about?

He's talking about genocide on the American citizenry carried out by the government. It kind of defeats the point of being in charge of a country if you blow the whole thing up. That's why a small percentage of insurgents can destabilize an entire nation. He's just a soft hearted lib who has no clue about morale, tactics, supply lines or logistics.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Nebor

He's talking about genocide on the American citizenry carried out by the government. It kind of defeats the point of being in charge of a country if you blow the whole thing up. That's why a small percentage of insurgents can destabilize an entire nation. He's just a soft hearted lib who has no clue about morale, tactics, supply lines or logistics.

And you guys are a bunch of right wing gun nuts who repeatedly fantasize about dragging politicians into the street for public executions, mentally masturbate to armed resurrection and rebelltion against the government that we elected, spread FUD about how the govt is trying to disarm the entire populace so they can form a supreme overlord 1984/bladerunner dystopian dynastic empire, and post circle-jerk threads like this on a weekly to monthly basis as an emotional outlet for when 24 is on hiatus. I salute you.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

I predict that DC will have a very difficult time trying to justify a ban on semi-auto handguns.

Also, this makes no sense to me. How could the DC rules say no clip holding more than 11 rounds, then turn around and say if the clip loads from the bottom it's a banned machine gun?

I can't think of any top-loading clip type hand guns?

Many other non semi-auto guns (bolt action) even use bottom loading clips. Bolt actions clearly aren't "machine guns".

They are going to find a lot of people claiming that semi-autos are safer than revolvers. Colt quit making them for fear of lawsuits for that reason (not as safe as semi's)

Their position is non-sensical, and stupid on so many levels.

Fern

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Can I buy a side loading fully automatic gun in DC?

I mean it's not a machine gun because it's side loading.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks

And you guys are a bunch of right wing gun nuts who repeatedly fantasize about dragging politicians into the street for public executions, mentally masturbate to armed resurrection and rebelltion against the government that we elected, spread FUD about how the govt is trying to disarm the entire populace so they can form a supreme overlord 1984/bladerunner dystopian dynastic empire, and post circle-jerk threads like this on a weekly to monthly basis as an emotional outlet for when 24 is on hiatus. I salute you.

You can call me a right wing gun nut, but I came from a country that had a government that took all the guns away from innocent civilians before they killed them or imprison them... so yea... the people in that country were stupid.. some of them are now dead..You can believe that the world is a benign place full of cotton candy and red colored lollipops.. I choose to believe in a world where "power corrupts.. and absolute power corrupts absolutely"... There has to be checks and balances.

For people who have only known "suburbia" with its' 2.5 kids, suv in the driveway by the nicely manicured lawns, and a tv's in every bedroom .. who have never seen any violence except for whats on tv and movies (hello, bladerunner).. it most be an unfathomable thought violence DOES exists. Firearms are needed. Governments do fall.. Governments do rise. Government can be bad (e.g., the Tuskegee experiment)...Some police are corrupt and riots do happen. In this great country, there have already been cases of families using rifles to protect themselves from chaos while the government couldn't do anyting (New orleans, La riots, etc)..

So yes, take your valium.. take your xanaxs.. or your prosaic. Call this a circle jerk.. Whatever...I can understand why people maybe against firearms... I applaud them.. Just get the F out of the way for people who have decided that the world is not all sunshine and caramel apples. For whatever reason, these people have decided to get armed -- maybe they have been rape? maybe they have been robbed... maybe they feel they need it as an implicit threat to the government to make sure they don't turn into a tyranny.. for whatever reason, leave them and their firearms alone.. The right to self-defense, is a basic human right -whether from the masked man climbing through a window late at night.. or the government forcing innocent citizens into re-education camps.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: eleison

You can call me a right wing gun nut, but I came from a country that had a government that took all the guns away from innocent civilians before they killed them or imprison them... so yea... the people in that country were stupid.. some of them are now dead..You can believe that the world is a benign place full of cotton candy and red colored lollipops.. I choose to believe in a world where "power corrupts.. and absolute power corrupts absolutely"... There has to be checks and balances.

For people who have only known "suburbia" with its' 2.5 kids, suv in the driveway by the nicely manicured lawns, and a tv's in every bedroom .. who have never seen any violence except for whats on tv and movies (hello, bladerunner).. it most be an unfathomable thought violence DOES exists. Firearms are needed. Governments do fall.. Governments do rise. Government can be bad (e.g., the Tuskegee experiment)...Some police are corrupt and riots do happen. In this great country, there have already been cases of families using rifles to protect themselves from chaos while the government couldn't do anyting (New orleans, La riots, etc)..

So yes, take your valium.. take your xanaxs.. or your prosaic. Call this a circle jerk.. Whatever...I can understand why people maybe against firearms... I applaud them.. Just get the F out of the way for people who have decided that the world is not all sunshine and caramel apples. For whatever reason, these people have decided to get armed -- maybe they have been rape? maybe they have been robbed... maybe they feel they need it as an implicit threat to the government to make sure they don't turn into a tyranny.. for whatever reason, leave them and their firearms alone.. The right to self-defense, is a basic human right -whether from the masked man climbing through a window late at night.. or the government forcing innocent citizens into re-education camps.

The world is not nice

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: eleison

The world is not nice

i will never understand how people can do that shit.