Dick Cheney Dead? Castro too?

StinkyMeat

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2001
Check out this Smoking Gun article.

I for one don't buy it for a second. My photochops are better than that.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Well if you read the article, they just prep these for when they happen. I think I read that a few sites do this.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: StinkyMeat

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the TSG article. All news agencies routinely prepare lifetime biographies on major world figures ahead of their death, as to be ready and not have to scramble for content when the time comes. A friend of mine worked at a local TV station and part of her duties involved being in charge of keeping these biographies updated.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the TSG article. All news agencies routinely prepare lifetime biographies on major world figures ahead of their death, as to be ready and not have to scramble for content when the time comes. A friend of mine worked at a local TV station and part of her duties involved being in charge of keeping these biographies updated.

Gerald Ford, dead today, at age . . .

;)

http://www.danacarvey.net/snl_ford_delicious.wav

Rob

StinkyMeat

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2001
I undertstand it perfectly. I just don't think CNN had anything to do with these. The quality is poor and I think the whole"these came from the CNN website" thing is a sham.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Well, if you look at Fidel Castro's, you see the story for Ronald Reagan under it...would CNN mess up like that?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I undertstand it perfectly. I just don't think CNN had anything to do with these. The quality is poor and I think the whole"these came from the CNN website" thing is a sham.
Ahh. Yeah, I figured it would have been pretty hard to confuse what the article was about. I don't know, I trust TSG as much as any major news organization. If they say they personally snatched those shots, I believe 'em till I hear otherwise.

StinkyMeat

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: dtyn
Well, if you look at Fidel Castro's, you see the story for Ronald Reagan under it...would CNN mess up like that?

exactly....this just kind of discredits drudge and smokinggun a bit...i thought it was post worthy...

and once again, i understood the article perfectly. no need to LOL @ me.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

exactly....this just kind of discredits drudge and smokinggun a bit...i thought it was post worthy...

and once again, i understood the article perfectly. no need to LOL @ me.

really, because i don't think you do.

StinkyMeat

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2001
APRIL 16--While all news organizations prepare obituaries in advance of the deaths of famous individuals, the folks at CNN inadvertently gave the Internet-surfing public a chance to preview how the network's web site would note the demise of Vice President Dick Cheney, Ronald Reagan, and a few other prominent figures. Until earlier this afternoon, a CNN server housed mock-ups of web pages announcing the yet-to-happen deaths. The CNN pages, which were discovered by the intrepid folks at fark.com, were yanked about 20 minutes after being exposed (though TSG was able to grab a few of the pages for posterity's sake). The premature obituaries, housed in a publicly accessible area of the CNN server and searchable via Google, were apparently the work of Peter Rentz, a senior multimedia designer at CNN. The mock-ups are virtually identical to the obituary design currently used by CNN when a notable person dies (click here to see how CNN covered the Queen Mother's March 2002 death). In fact, elements of the Queen Mum's obit template can be seen in the below Cheney design. In addition to Cheney and Reagan, CNN also prepped online farewells to Fidel Castro, Bob Hope, Pope John Paul II, and Nelson Mandela. (6 pages)

This is the part I don't believe. I read the article. I'm not a moron. These are some cyber-nerd's photochops, not CNN's Peter Rentz's work.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
This was first on Fark, and it was ripped from some site hosted by CNN, sandbox.CNN.com or something similar. These were simply pre-fabs done up so that in the event of their death, they'd have something quickly. It's not some photoshop stunt.

StinkyMeat

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2001
Dudd, I completely disagree with you.
-StinkyMeat

Are you telling me CNN knowingly pre-fabbed Castro's obit with Regan's bio on it? And are you sure CNN would use such crappy pics of these men?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

yep, screams amatuer.