Dick Cheney 2000 VP debate excerpt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Perknose
I'm not running for office trying to campaign on the notion that I know what's good for people, etc. ;)

Instead you're posting here based on that notion! :laugh:

No, I'm expressing my opinion here. You can take it or leave it, just as I do with everyone else's opinions here.

If you were running for office based on that notion, couldn't you say the same thing, that people can take you or leave you? You seem to be missing the point.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
I'm not running for office trying to campaign on the notion that I know what's good for people, etc. ;)

No, I'm expressing my opinion here. You can take it or leave it, just as I do with everyone else's opinions here.

If you were running for office based on that notion, couldn't you say the same thing, that people can take you or leave you? You seem to be missing the point.

Sure, and that's exactly how I'd run. Unfortunately there is not much of that going on. We get promises and platitudes but not a whole lot of here is what I am for and against and why. We get a whole lot of nuance and generalities which sucks IMO.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234

Sure, and that's exactly how I'd run. Unfortunately there is not much of that going on. We get promises and platitudes but not a whole lot of here is what I am for and against and why. We get a whole lot of nuance and generalities which sucks IMO.

You know, it may just be possible that the public doesn't vote for people who run the way you say you want them to, and that's the problem rather than no one running that way.

I'd even suggest it's possible that most politicians who are well-intentioned learn to view the public as sort of a mass idiot, who needs to be spoon fed what it demands, while preserving their principles and dedications to do what they think is right, as elitist and undemocratic as that sounds.

They could make a good case that the alternative of allowing politicians to win who are not trying to do what's right but rather to simply lie and represent narrow interests is worse.