Diamond Pro 2070 vs LCD

D22

Nov 13, 2004
If you guys had the choice between spending around $200-300 on a NEW diamond pro 2070 or going for a Dell 20" LCD during one of the deals, or say maybe the 1905FP to keep cost down, what would you do? I'm about to buy a desk with plenty of room and really just want the best of the best.

How annoying are the "2 wires" on the diamond pro monitor? It's refresh at 1600x1200 is amazing, and knowing if I ever did have a souped up system I could run 2056...well I doubt I ever will but just for the hell of it would be kinda cool.

So basically, I just want best performance more so than the LCD portability or cool factor. I do kinda hate how the resell value of the Diamond Pro could be less from what I see...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Bear in mind that a 19" LCD will only support 1280x1024, which is noticeably smaller than 1600x1200. Also, because 17" and 19" LCDs are 5:4 aspect ratio devices, they are more square than rectangular, and any widescreen videos will have less screen area and larger "black bars." Also, effective horizontal editing area in Photoshop and similar applications is compromised.

To compare to that CRT, you should really be looking in the >=20" LCD crowd, for 1600x1200 resolution support mainly. I am very pleased with my Samsung 213T, but if you're a gamer, you might want to consider Dell's faster refreshing offerings which also can be cheaper if you get the right combination of discounts, rebates, coupons, etc. :)

Bucksnort

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
The damper wires in any trinitron, diamondtron based tube is barely noticable on a white background. After a short time you do not notice them at all. I prefer diamondtrons & would have nothing else.

hemiram

Mar 16, 2005
I guess if you have the room and don't mind the heat, the CRT is the way to go. When I had my Dell 19" Trinitron, I was thankful of the heat coming out of it in the winter, and hated it in the summer. I have a room full of radios and an older TV that itself throws out the heat big time, and with the monitor, a half dozen police scanners and shortwaves on sometimes. it gets hot quickly, or it did. Since going to a 17 LCD, the room isn't nearly as bad as it was before.

That Diamond Pro is a great monitor, just too big for me, and too hot..

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The Diamond Pro is the best monitor. I'd only choose Apple's 30", HP's 23" or Dell's 24" LCDs over it. That is if you have plenty of room for a 22" CRT.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
I have a 2070b and recently switched to a Hyunday L90D+. (19")

The CRT was so big and heavy it started to bend my desktop. The LCD on the other hand is lightweight and is a great deal when it comes to saving space. Now I can extend my arms a bit further on my desk and no longer have the screen up to my nose.

Gaming wise, I couldn't notice any ghosting on the LCD. Non native resolution are acceptable in most cases, but the LCD still looks the best in its native resolution if you rig can support it.

I find the LCD being so much clearer and easy on my eyes. The CRT is dimmer and can 'flicker' even at the highest refresh rate setting chosen, over time. I wasn't too happy with geometric distortion either, and as far as resolution goes, I don't think I've ever use bigger than 1280x1024(or 960) on the CRT. Above those resolutions, everything looks so small and cause greater strain on the eyes.

The only downside with LCD is viewing angles, but I got used to that quicker than the double lines you describe that are inherent to all diamontron/trinitron screen.

ASK THE COMMUNITY