Diablo 3 stuck at 60% power usage

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
So I usually swap between 106% and 60% power usage in msi afterburner depending on what game I'm playing. But now it seems Diablo 3 won't go past 60% no matter what I do. My frame rates are dropping to 30s. Other games are fine.
Monitor is xb270h 144hz 27" gsync 1080p

I've reinstalled nvidia drivers.
Set power management to "maximum" global and for d3
Uninstalled and reinstalled msi afterburner and tried evga precision x.
Turned on/off gysnc. Turned on/off ulmb
Tried 144hz and 120hz

A week ago things were fine and my frames would be in the 400s at 106% power.

Please help

Update
So when I was disabling G Sync in the nvidia control panel under the "setup up g sync" tab, it wasn't completely disabling it. I had to go to "manage 3d settings tab" and change global vsync settings to "off" (gsync was still enabled here) so with vsync/gsync officially off my gpu power usage isn't capped at 60% anymore.

Gysnc is broken for diablo 3. It's capping gpu power usage to 60%. And Possibly other games are effected

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Make sure vsync is off, both in-game and in the driver control panel.

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Close afterburner and similar programs before launching D3 so they don't affect, and try again.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Why not just maximise the power setting and let the card draw what it needs for every game? Vsync and triple buffering will be able to limit the power and heat used from unused frames.

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
Why not just maximise the power setting and let the card draw what it needs for every game? Vsync and triple buffering will be able to limit the power and heat used from unused frames.

I've tried adaptive power settings (card uses what it needs) and maximum performance settings. The issue is I'm getting slow down in d3 and my card won't go past 60% power usage. So something is throttling it. If it was fluctuating and using more than 60% I'm sure I wouldn't be getting slow down and dips in fps into the 30s. I know this because last week it would be in the 70/80/90 power usage.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Having similar issue with FFXIII-PC, as I'm finally playing through it.

I haven't done the problem solving to pinpoint the issue, but for me I think it's GPU_memory or CPU.

FFXIII-PC
Resolution: Anything
Using: 8K Shadows
Issue: Frame rate will cap at 30 even if GPU isn't being pushed, will coast at 50-60% power and 600-800mhz clocks.

Current settings:
Resolution: 3840x2160 (DSR)
Using: 4K Shadows
Issue: card is loading fine, am now getting proper GPU bottleneck in scenes with lots of objects, load will be 99% with frame drop due to GPU bottleneck.

I didn't tack memory usage, will do now just to see if it's the cause. I've read FFXIII is single threaded due to being lazy port. So not sure if 8K shadows causes a hiccup on the GPU side or the GPU_Mem.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I've tried adaptive power settings (card uses what it needs) and maximum performance settings. The issue is I'm getting slow down in d3 and my card won't go past 60% power usage. So something is throttling it. If it was fluctuating and using more than 60% I'm sure I wouldn't be getting slow down and dips in fps into the 30s. I know this because last week it would be in the 70/80/90 power usage.

I was just wondering why have a profile set to only use 60% in the first place. It may be that somehow the settings are now stuck on this profile. I have come across situations when a profile slips back to default. Defaulting Asus GPU tweak and re-applying the profile resolves this for me. Maybe there is a way you can do that in Afterburner.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Have you check the Frame rate limiters within Diablo 3? They have a few different limiters built into the game with sliders. I know there is a background and foreground slider for FPS limiting. Make sure they are set to what you wish.

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
Have you check the Frame rate limiters within Diablo 3? They have a few different limiters built into the game with sliders. I know there is a background and foreground slider for FPS limiting. Make sure they are set to what you wish.

I've moved the in game slider around and have it at 200. I've tried widowed, windowed full screen. I think something software related with msi afterburner is keeping it at 60%.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Have you turned off all 3rd party software, such as MSI afterburner? (use Fraps as an alternative). Using EVGA Precision X as an alternative is no different, as they are both build on Rivatuner.

Last edited:

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
Have you turned off all 3rd party software, such as MSI afterburner? (use Fraps as an alternative). Using EVGA Precision X as an alternative is no different, as they are both build on Rivatuner.

Turned on/ turned off. Removed and reinstalled.

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
Updated. Gsync is broken for diablo 3. It's capping gpu power usage to 60%

Last edited: