Diablo 3 Recommended Video Card Settings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I played and beat torchlight but honestly given the choice I'd take Diablo 2 over that any day. Much better game overall and with online play its not even close.

Torchlight really needs online play... these kinds of games are so stale without it.

Given the budget the studio was on, I don't think multiplayer was really an option.

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not sure why AA has become such a luxury all of a sudden. Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR, GTA IV, SC2 all have trouble with traditional (and sometimes control-panel enabled) AA, and only support post-processing enabled AA (GTA IV doesn't even have that.)

And now Diablo 3 has the same issue. WTF is up with that?

There are some of misconceptions floating around regarding Anti Aliasing and DirectX version.

Deferred rendering engines (ue3 for instance) is mainly used nowadays because of performance when using lots of lighting . This is particularly good for consoles with their weaker hardware but not necessary for desktop graphics cards. Deferred rendering does not support MSAA in DX9 by default but is supported under DX11 and DX10. This is one of the main marketing points for DX11 in games like Bad Company 2.

However it is untrue that MSAA is impossible with deferred rendering under DX9. Batman AA and Mirrors edge are fine examples of deferred rendered games that have in game MSAA. They add a workaround code in DX9 that works as long as you have a DX10 card. In games that do not have in game options it is possible to force through drivers as long as that driver has a working profile for that game. Recent catalyst drivers does allow enabling MSAA in Bad Company 2 under DX9.

Amd's MLAA runs on DX11 compute shaders and only works if you have a DX11 card and OS but works in any DX9 game. FXAA however uses regular pixel shaders works with any hardware and OS and usually has less performance hit than driver MLAA. I hope this clears up everything regarding AA in recent games.

Last edited: