DHS Secretary Nielsen grabbed $10M from FEMA this summer for ICE child separations

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1039685046943342592?s=21

Specifically, they took money from response and recovery and emergency preparedness budget, which FEMA defunded in response.

This was money they needed for family internment camps once child separations could no longer continue--so this happened right at the start of hurricane season. Good to know with Florence coming this way.

Not sure I agree with keeping FEMA under DHS...if it was a different Department then Congress would have to approve.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1039685046943342592?s=21

Specifically, they took money from response and recovery and emergency preparedness budget, which FEMA defunded in response.

This was money they needed for family internment camps once child separations could no longer continue--so this happened right at the start of hurricane season. Good to know with Florence coming this way.

Not sure I agree with keeping FEMA under DHS...if it was a different Department then Congress would have to approve.

It was separate until after 9/11. Besides that, asylum seekers at the border is a natural disaster, anyway, isn't it?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's like a House of Cards episode, only much more horrific because of both how the money's being abused and the fact that it's real. I hope Democrats bring this up in debates going forward, especially in presidential debates. This is an administration that isn't just guilty of greed and corruption, but things that could be considered outright atrocities.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Need to build more cages for locking up children
They could just put all the children directly in the path of Florence. It would be much easier and then Trump could use the FEMA money for his lawsuits.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Does this mean there won't be enough money for paper towels for Trump to throw to the victims when he visits?

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe after the storm he will fly cargo planes over the disaster areas and drop paper towels.
I saw on a documentary once where they used rolls of paper towel to quite effectively absorb all the water in a reservoir. Was quite effective.

This might have been an episode of the Simpsons now that I think about it.

Reactions: Homerboy

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Looks like Sen. Merkley may have been lying a bit...he insisted that the money came from the disaster relief funds, but FEMA denies that and the document states “FEMA will curtail training, travel, public engagement sessions, IT security support and infrastructure maintenance, and IT investments in the legacy grants systems for transition to the Grants Management Modernization Program".

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Looks like Sen. Merkley may have been lying a bit...he insisted that the money came from the disaster relief funds, but FEMA denies that and the document states “FEMA will curtail training, travel, public engagement sessions, IT security support and infrastructure maintenance, and IT investments in the legacy grants systems for transition to the Grants Management Modernization Program".

Perhaps, but the money should definitely be flowing the other way. FEMA was a lifesaver when I was caught in a flood in 97. It's unconscionable that ANY money would be take from them and given to the department that builds baby concentration camps.

And you think people in NC will be making that distinction in a few weeks when FEMA predictably bungles this response?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well the actual document says those funds will come from the following programs for FEMA:

FEMA Regional Operations - $148,510
FEMA Response and Recovery - Recovery - $332,999
FEMA Mitigation - $686,903
FEMA Response and Recovery - Response - $1,999,455
FEMA Preparedness and Protection - $2,124,319
FEMA Mission Support - $4,463,117

Those are fairly broad categories but...well... it's hard to see why we should be reducing funding in any of those areas. Even if you take Trump's DHS at their word (and I have no idea why we would do that) training, infrastructure maintenance, travel, public engagement, etc, all seem like pretty important things for disaster relief and prevention.

Reactions: Jimzz

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well the actual document says those funds will come from the following programs for FEMA:

FEMA Regional Operations - $148,510
FEMA Response and Recovery - Recovery - $332,999
FEMA Mitigation - $686,903
FEMA Response and Recovery - Response - $1,999,455
FEMA Preparedness and Protection - $2,124,319
FEMA Mission Support - $4,463,117

Those are fairly broad categories but...well... it's hard to see why we should be reducing funding in any of those areas. Even if you take Trump's DHS at their word (and I have no idea why we would do that) training, infrastructure maintenance, travel, public engagement, etc, all seem like pretty important things for disaster relief and prevention.
I don't see why FEMA needs to travel to disaster zones. They can just Amazon Prime paper towels to them.

Reactions: Jimzz

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When the Lootocracy finally gets the Kleptocracy that it has long waited for.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Who is Kyle Griffin and why are we following his tweets instead of real news?

So this is a nothing cheese burger?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who is Kyle Griffin and why are we following his tweets instead of real news?

So this is a nothing cheese burger?

According to the document evidence the senator is correct. DHS is trying to dispute it by saying they are cutting training budgets, etc, but:

1) DHS under Trump lies about basically everything.

2) even if they were telling the truth it seems like cutting training budgets in the aftermath of last year’s catastrophe is a bad idea.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
According to the document evidence the senator is correct. DHS is trying to dispute it by saying they are cutting training budgets, etc, but:

1) DHS under Trump lies about basically everything.

2) even if they were telling the truth it seems like cutting training budgets in the aftermath of last year’s catastrophe is a bad idea.
Yup, I was duped into believing a Brock Long talking point, because I was under the assumption that Brock Long is halfway competent and isn't a lying piece of s**t like everyone else in this administration.

edit: Even Vox, which skews heavily liberal, doesn't believe the Merkley talking point though:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/12/17850594/hurricane-fema-ice-trump-immigration

Jan 25, 2011

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Also, it seems DHS may have reallocated as much as $200M to support child separations and detention efforts--way outside their budget and without a single action of Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/12/politics/ice-more-money-fema-dhs/index.html

They even stole $30 million from the shoestring Coast Guard budget to build their baby concentration camps. Kjjjjirjjjstjjeejjjn and the rest of these people need to go to prison if even one person dies from rescue times being affected by this theft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-mV9Ek7w8

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The GOP just might be the worst thing that humanity has ever created. Fuck them all.