DHEP Challenge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
The only problem I see so far from DHEP is that you can't bunker it and track the exact progress of running tasks.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@ao_ika_red, it can be bunkered, but the exact details need further research.

There is a stop-gap solution to tracking the progress of a task: Abort it, then it run time, CPU time, and credit will get shown at the DHEP boinc web server. (Caveat: 1. This ends the task, hence you have no direct information to extrapolate future progress. 2. It is not advised to abort often, because a task works a little more effectively if it gets to work continuously.)

--------
So, this is a 5 days long challenge. That's a long time for DHEP standards. So long, that at least 1 change in credit allocation must occur in that time frame, and indeed already has occurred. /s

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
And by aborting tasks, I have to use my mobile phone again to abort and retrieve new tasks and then I can use my landline ISP because DHEP's java app isn't blocked by my landline ISP. So yeah, I won't do that.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@ao_ika_red, right, I forgot about that you have to go through such hoops. Kudos to you for not giving up on this project despite that.

--------
I read several times that DHEP doesn't stress the hardware much. Yet my 4C/8T Haswell laptop, which ran TN-Grid and some other projects with 50 % CPUs allowed just fine, reverted to its bad habit of randomly rebooting. That sort of behavior was formerly PrimeGrid's privilege on this laptop.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
@ao_ika_red, right, I forgot about that you have to go through such hoops. Kudos to you for not giving up on this project despite that.
As long as TeAm members are still in it. Not with PG Challenge, though. My CPU is completely bust for that.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
So is anyone running the stand-alone application? (I am running through the BOINC client, of course) I was wondering if the points were different, and also wondering if the points show up, since it is not under the BOINC umbrella?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Well the top 4 or 5 TSBT members joined SUSA recently and they've left us in the dust. Looks like we'll finish a solid 2nd place in this. Not too shabby.

Wish we had more people (not just our team, but other teams) stressing the server for the project admins. Hopefully they learned some optimizations during this.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Well Bryan and I have just been comparing the teams in the challenge points (total) vs the other teams not in the challenge total to judge what kind of stress the servers might be getting. We think we've loaded the server 2X it's normal load yesterday based on points.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol, quite a jump then!

Btw, am I reading the race stats wrong? We seem to be number 1! :D

Tony
Hmm, are you gunning to fly past me before you switch? :p ;)

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Hours has passed and yet still no update after 30-May-2019 2300UTC, so I guess it's a wrap.
1559293924421.png
Congrats for another top spot! What an effort! I don't know whether this challenge has stressed DHEP's server to its limit but I do know it puts quite a stress on our machine and its owner, especially to those who also run PG Challenge concurrently.
What a TeAm!!!