DHCP disabled on router, now can't access router cloud storage

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I have disabled the DHCP on my Netgear router and I have connected it in series to my Hitron Coda modem/router. I have connected a LAN port of the Hitron modem/router to a LAN port on the Netgear router (not the WAN port). This has somehow made my internet connection a lot faster. However I am now unable to access my router's USB hard drive from the cloud; I can only see it from within my local network.

Do you guys know of a way to configure my routers to make this possible? I realize this is an unorthodox setup but it's working well for me. Any info would be great.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
How was the modem/router combo configured? Sounds like it wasn't configured for passthrough, which is likely why you saw a speed increase. Either get rid of the modem/router combo and get just a modem, or make sure the modem/router combo is set to passthrough and turn DHCP back on on the Netgear.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have ISP enable passthrough mode or better yet just give you a plain modem with zero wifi/router parts built in, turn DHCP back on with the netgear, then should work fine.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The issue is likely that your Netgear router is no longer getting the requests to access the USB-based storage. When your Netgear was acting as the sole router, the requests from the Internet would go through it, where its software would provide the access. However, when a request comes through the modem/router combo, nothing is registered to receive the data (port forwarding, UPnP, etc.), and it gets thrown out. So, the modem/router combo isn't even passing it to the Netgear router. Now, if you can find the ports that need to be forwarded, you can possibly manually forward ports. However, I would recommend following the advice of others here and going for a simpler modem + Netgear setup or at least have the modem/router in pass-through mode.