DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-DR

DoktorPete

Aug 17, 2005
Just got this board and my 3500+ (First AMD build) and I have a few questions about some things I've been reading in the manual.

1.What exactly is 5VSB, is there any benefit to using it as opposed to the regular 5V, and how do I know how many amps the 5VSB power source on my power supply supports? (OCZ Modstream 450)

2. What speaker(s) does the JP8 jumper turn on and off? (set to off by default)

3. Which audio is better for s/pdif out: ALC850 or nForce 4?

4. Whats the deal with the 5V/12V power connectors and do I need them if I only have 1 video card?

Thanks guys

May 9, 2003
1. Dunno
2. The little speaker on the mobo I believe
3. Dunno,...no speakers hooked up to mine. I bet they are about the same.
4. Yes, you need to plug them in. (all 4 of them on the mobo)

DoktorPete

Aug 17, 2005
Thanks, Just came across another problem though, My other mobo only had 9 holes for the standoffs, this one has 10. While I do have another standoff and screw I dont have the insulator ring. Should I wait till I get one of the rings to turn it on? Can I make one out of something? Can I screw in the standoff and just not use a screw till I get another ring? What should I do?

DoktorPete

Aug 17, 2005
Yet another problem rears its ugly head...
I cant seem to get windows installed, I press any key to boot from CD-ROM and then it starts to inspect my hardware and thats as far as it goes, detecting hardware stays on the screen but nothing happens. Anyone know whats goin on?
For the record the componants are:
AMD 3500+ New Castle
Maxtor DiamondMax10 250
2x512 OCZ pc3200 Platinum rev2 (Installed in dimm's 2 and 4)
OCZ Modstream 450 (all 4 power connectors hooked up)
MSI NX6600GT

I havent the slightest clue whats goin on unless the secondary partition on the hard drive is causing some problems, but I cant see it being that as it should still let me at least format or something

Thanks

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
check out dfi-street.com it has pretty much everything ya want to know about this board, for your issue I'd suggest bumping vdimm to 2.8V and setting the cmd rate to 2T also disable legacy usb support and try and load windows again, if it doesn't work try 3V vdimm (I know it seems like a lot but trust me it will work :) ) I had this same issue and setting 3V vdimm let me install windows fine, I backed it down to 2.85 later after the install and everything is still fine and stable, you also may want to raise vcore by .05v and turning off cool and quiet. I'd also suggest updating to the latest offical bios or at least 3/10/05 or later.

Edit: also as a note DFI rec's at least a 480 watt PSU for this motherboard so your 450watt PSU may not be cutting it depending on what else you have in the system (although based on the specs you listed so far I'd guess its fine)