Developing film, where should I start?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I feel that I skipped a step in photography. I have never used a film camera :eek:

So I was thinking about buying a cheap medium format film camera, something like this: Seagull 4B 120 TLR Medium Format camera Link
Just something in the $50 mark or should I get a cheap Holga?

I would need to setup a darkroom (right?) so I was planning on using my laundry room for this:
44overhead.jpg

Would that be enough space?

Anyone know a good starter guide? What would I need to start? Am I missing something?

I was going to take Intro to Photography here at school but the problem was that it met 3 days a week for 3 hours :( I was not going to be able to commit that much time to a elective course...
Thanks guy,
Alfa147x

Last edited:

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I found this tutorial:
http://chromogenic.net/develop

I'v been thinking and would it be a better idea to get a $30 holga and if I like the whole film thing invest later in a nicer camera? Because according to that tutorial equipment is going to cost about $70.

I would prefer color but I B&W the place to start?

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
this depends on where you live but lots of schools will rent darkroom space to people and provide you with what you need to develop film. if you want to print you would need your own paper but they provide enlargers and chemicals for that

you wont be able to dev your own color film. the process is harder and the chemicals much more harmful. If you want to print your own color photos what i wrote above also applies however finding some place with a color enlarger will be rare unless you live in a large city. An Arts college may have one but id lean towards no

Last edited:

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
this depends on where you live but lots of schools will rent darkroom space to people and provide you with what you need to develop film. if you want to print you would need your own paper but they provide enlargers and chemicals for that

I'v asked the Art department on campus about that... They said something about it's too much of a hassle to setup and they just don't have the money to do it :\

I'm not very fond of them.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
film! man I remember taking intro photog in high school which was taught using film. All I remember is how hard it was at first because our light meters were disabled. LOL it was bracket and pray. Although you were limited with that because we had to buy our own supplies. Everything black and white, also photoshop was the darkroom and a paint brush. I wish I saved my pics...

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Check our local community colleges or even community programs near cities you live in. I went from PS digital camera to film, dark room stuff and then to dSLR. Just learning the basics from just photography was a nice step up. The local community college had 3-4 different photography classes and each had access to darkroom time. One of the city programs had 2 days or so in the dark room.

The dark room stuff is really fun for a semester. It's a great feeling to work an hour or so and see your photo come to life.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I would consider getting a used Pentax K1000 with a basic lens in eBay. It will not be a lot more, but is a real camera and lens.

I was thinking about getting a canon later for about $100 because looking at those Pentax's they are running for $75+ and the Holga would cost $30
Check our local community colleges or even community programs near cities you live in. I went from PS digital camera to film, dark room stuff and then to dSLR. Just learning the basics from just photography was a nice step up. The local community college had 3-4 different photography classes and each had access to darkroom time. One of the city programs had 2 days or so in the dark room.

The dark room stuff is really fun for a semester. It's a great feeling to work an hour or so and see your photo come to life.

I go to school at a university, not many community colleges around so that idea won't work :(

I was going to take Intro to Photography here at school but the problem was that it met 3 days a week for 3 hours :( I was not going to be able to commit that much time to a elective course...

Plus the cost of a studio class ($300 - $500 + books)

Last edited:

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Holgas are a fun toy, but their images can be inconsistent and hard to develop (and buying 120mm film is a real pain). I'm not sure it's really one to start learning how to develop on. You'd do better with a cheap 35mm point and shoot if you don't want to splurge on the SLR.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Holgas are a fun toy, but their images can be inconsistent and hard to develop (and buying 120mm film is a real pain). I'm not sure it's really one to start learning how to develop on. You'd do better with a cheap 35mm point and shoot if you don't want to splurge on the SLR.

Oh I forgot to note: The reason for the 120mm film is because I was recently given some (25) in decent condition... (Been in freezer and have a couple months till they expire)

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Start out just developing the film yourself. That's an investment of $25 (not counting the film) and you'll be able to develop a dozen rolls. See if you like the tedium of hand developing before you bother with the even more tedious printing process.

I love a good silver-gelatin print, and I do find the process satisfying and somewhat zen, but it is damn tedious, and frustrating when you can't get a print right. So my suggestion is to spend a while developing film and scanning it to see if you like the results. Most modern flatbeds can scan film at an acceptable resolution. Then, if you decide you really like it, pick up an old enlarger and some trays.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
You can pick up used Rebel 2000's, Rebel G's, Rebel S's, Rebel II's, etc. on eBay for <$20 shipped. You can even find Elan II's (with back wheel like XXD) for $30-$50 shipped. They will work with all the nice glass you already own.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I built a darkroom in a small bathroom. A laundry room would probably work OK. I made a long table-like platform from plywood, topped with stainless steel sheet metal. Bought a 2 1/4 enlarger that also included a lens for 35mm, bought a plastic developing tank, then another better bigger one of stainless, some trays, some paper, developer, stopper, fixer, got a few containers to keep the chemicals in, got a darkroom light, various papers, closed off light access, got a bulk B&W film loader for my 35mm camera and I was in business. Lots of fun. I still have the contact sheets and negatives and many prints all these years later. I guess I did a pretty good job of washing the fixer out of my prints because they haven't turned yellow!

I stuck to B&W for home developing, partly because I am partially color blind. B&W was no issue. Also, it was easier and cheaper, of course, at least it was at the time. I don't know what color DIY processing is like these days.

Last edited: