Deus Ex MD - CPU Thread Scaling and performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I see the 6700k pushing 72 vs 4670k 49fps at max in the chart above. Can someone please explain what that means for gaming performance? A 22 fps increase is huge so why do people across the internet keep saying an i5 will not hamper a strong gpu in games. So with an i7 a strong gpu is pretty much worthless.

With games getting more multithreaded, having more threads available makes more and more of a difference. 5 years ago when I bought my 2500K, it was true an i5 wouldn't hamper a strong GPU. Not so much anymore.

Last edited:

bem

Aug 23, 2016
Right, the lack of ACEs really seem to be hurting NVidia right now in DX12 titles. Let's take Ashes of the Singularity for instance, one of, if not the best showcases for DX12 as it supports Asynchronous Compute and is an exceptionally parallel engine.

GTX-1070-ZOTAC-74.jpg

In an AMD sponsored game, with an engine that is geared towards GCN, NVidia is still dominating AMD. The Fury X which has the benefit of water cooling, is losing to an air cooled reference clocked GTX 980 Ti, let alone an aftermarket version which can be up to 20% faster.. And Pascal is outright decimating the Fury cards.

All GPUs are massively parallel by necessity. And asynchronous compute adds only about 10% extra on average. On consoles the benefit is greater since developers have much more control over the workflow, and more focused optimization. It's going to be a while before asynchronous compute becomes a big thing on PCs, and by then NVidia will likely have a better solution than what they are currently using for Pascal.

In every benchmarks, except for GamersNexus, the Fury X outperforms the 980Ti and 1070.

1464502183Pf36gpJiLW_4_2.gif

7821_200_gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-g1-gaming-review.png

ashes-1440p.png

Last edited: