Deus Ex human revolution worth $3?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I see what you're saying. But there's a lot of data out there about DE:HR, it earned a lot of awards in 2011 - I suppose a lot of it depends on how much you enjoyed the first game and whether you enjoy the genre.

I also really regret purchasing Rage. Can't disagree with that.

Nov 3, 2004
I get what you are saying, the mentality is such that unless people must have a title on launch day most of us will wait for a sale on one of the Digital distribution channels, aka Steam. So we wait for 50% deals or if patient enough we wait for killer deals.
I have bought a lot of games at great prices but I have also paid full price for crappy (and good) games.
I paid full price for Rage and will never repeat that mistake again.

Paying full price for Rage doesn't mean you're not cheap. It just means you're dumb. :colbert:

Please, no personal attacks here. That would include calling people dumb. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So many bad generalizations in this post. There is, in fact, a market of gamers who are willing to pay full-price for a game like Deus Ex.

There are lots of recycled franchises, yes; but it's entirely possible to ignore those franchises and play one of the dozens of fresh, new IPs and games with creative ideas that are released every year. You just have to broaden your horizons a little bit.

You're both right.

There is a market who will pay full price for games; and it does seem that market is shrinking all the time, threatening the budget of high quality games.

It's good for gamers to appreciate the role each buyer has.

Think of public TV. Imagine that both $20 donors and $100,000 donors each plays a critical role, and if either type of donor stopped giving, the budget would be hurt a lot.

Game publishers rely both on the full price market and the lower segment who can't spend as much.

If the full price market waits for discounts, the average price paid falls, and the budget for games goes from quality, say, average $30 titles to, say, cheaper $15 titles.

Just as there's a big difference between well-funded HBO tv shows, and low-end basic cable reality shows.

Only a handful of publishers have been able to hold up prices longer - ok, one really, Blizzard division of Activision - with a few like Bethesda delaying discounting.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Paying full price for Rage doesn't mean you're not cheap. It just means you're dumb. :colbert:

You're being rude. I admit that I bought Rage at full price simply because it was id software, I had high thoughts of them from the Doom and Quake eras. They were legendary among PC gamers back then. I'm fairly certain that i've clocked more hours in Quake/Quakeworld than any other game in existence - and I've also spent a ton of time in both Q2 and Q3. So based on that, I purchased Rage - I've obviously learned from my mistake. This isn't the same ID software I knew from a decade ago, it's sad really.

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
You're being rude. I admit that I bought Rage at full price simply because it was id software, I had high thoughts of them from the Doom and Quake eras. They were legendary among PC gamers back then. I'm fairly certain that i've clocked more hours in Quake/Quakeworld than any other game in existence - and I've also spent a ton of time in both Q2 and Q3. So based on that, I purchased Rage - I've obviously learned from my mistake. This isn't the same ID software I knew from a decade ago, it's sad really.

Exactly the same reason I bought it for full price. ID had a good rep until Rage.
Its the reason I play the wait and see method for game purchases now.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
There's a bit more to it than that.
There was sort of a commentary on whether or not people should be controlled by such an organization for their own good. The Illuminati's goal was actually to delay people from reaching the "next stage of evolution" through augmentations because they felt people weren't ready for it, that they didn't deserve it. They felt that if people where given free access to augmentations, society would tear itself apart. Then there was Hugh Darrow, who felt that technology was already tearing apart society and it would be best if no one had advanced technology. And then there was David Sariff, who felt that the only way humanity could transcend itself and move on to something greater was if everyone was given free access to the augmentations.

You can't expect to get all the depth out of the story by reading a Wikipedia synopsis. :biggrin:

Yeah, like I said, I had only read that synopsis and it didn't really mention a lot of sci-fi sounding things. Personally, I just couldn't get into it. I have infiltrated that facility probably 6 times, and just can't bring myself to keep playing.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
DXHR was actually the last game I preordered, and also the last game I paid full purchase price for. I dont regret it actually.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
This summed up my feelings when I read the title.

tumblr_lrdhw1Cnn81qakrapo1_500.jpg

lulz. Yes, I paid around $20 for it and he expansion. Good game.

Nov 3, 2004

Do smilies mean nothing to you? :colbert:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
DXHR was actually the last game I preordered, and also the last game I paid full purchase price for. I dont regret it actually.

Yeah I don't think I have paid full price for a game since then. I have been tempted sure. Oh wait... Skyrim.. I did pay pull price for that if I recall correctly.
However unlike Rage, Skyrim didn't suck :biggrin: in fact I have put a tremendous amount of hours into that. I have a level 89 Khajiit and a 32 Breton.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
No, it's not worth it.

If you were just bitten by a snake, have $3, and someone is selling anti-venom for $3.
LOL

You're both right.

There is a market who will pay full price for games; and it does seem that market is shrinking all the time, threatening the budget of high quality games.

Think of public TV. Imagine that both $20 donors and $100,000 donors each plays a critical role, and if either type of donor stopped giving, the budget would be hurt a lot.

Game publishers rely both on the full price market and the lower segment who can't spend as much.

If the full price market waits for discounts, the average price paid falls, and the budget for games goes from quality, say, average $30 titles to, say, cheaper $15 titles.

Just as there's a big difference between well-funded HBO tv shows, and low-end basic cable reality shows.

Only a handful of publishers have been able to hold up prices longer - ok, one really, Blizzard division of Activision - with a few like Bethesda delaying discounting.
Well said. I bought it for full price just to support that kind of thoughtful, atmospheric single player game. I found it bit slow and pedantic, perhaps relying too much on emotions that just weren't evoked in me or interactions I just didn't find plausible, and like Smackababy I found the plot and moral conflict rather silly. The "open world" concept in this game is highly over-rated; the game does offer some flexibility, but each area is mostly dead space. It's a thinking man's shooter in the sense that a fourteen year old is a man, I suppose, but there's enough gold there that I was reasonably satisfied with my purchase. It's a game that should be played by anyone with an interest in SciFi or single player shooters in general, in my opinion, and once it dropped to $30 I think it was a good deal for anyone meeting those criteria.

If Eidos makes another (assuming it is first person) I'll buy that one at full price as well. In the end, that's probably the most important endorsement I could make. But everyone should remember that each person's gaming budget (in dollars and in time) and each person's current list of desired games is unique. I intentionally held off on Bioshock Infinite until it hit $30 because that was its perceived value to me, and lots of other games I've delayed buying until they dropped to $10 or even $5. Just because I paid full price for this particular game and was reasonably happy does not mean that the OP asking if it's worth $3 is an unreasonable question.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I paid full price for it and I wasn't disappointed. I'd have been ecstatic about the value I got out of it if I'd waited for it to be $40.

But for $3? I would buy and play Barbie Fairie Solitaire for $3.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You're both right.

Funny you mention HBO. While the quality of TV on HBO hasn't gone down yet, it's slowly being influenced by that public market. Piracy has gotten to it too quite a bit (I can't say I'm perfect). True Blood, Dexter, are both shows that certainly wouldn't have gone on this long pre internet/social media era. Probably would have capped off at 5-6 seasons.

HBO Quality at least is safe for now, but man, the internet has made it a tough place for anyone to survive producing extremely high quality content. Piracy, and constant desire of dirt cheap sales, we're getting a little spoiled.

Sometimes though, as a person who pays full price you get burned heavily. The Sims, Dark Souls Prepare to Die (It was a port that took someone a short amount of time to fix), and then there are much more agregious games where it won't even load up for people. I can understand at that point why someone wouldn't want to pay full price in case a game doesn't work or is extremely buggy. So there are two sides to every tale.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
LOL

Well said. I bought it for full price just to support that kind of thoughtful, atmospheric single player game. I found it bit slow and pedantic, perhaps relying too much on emotions that just weren't evoked in me or interactions I just didn't find plausible, and like Smackababy I found the plot and moral conflict rather silly. The "open world" concept in this game is highly over-rated; the game does offer some flexibility, but each area is mostly dead space. It's a thinking man's shooter in the sense that a fourteen year old is a man, I suppose, but there's enough gold there that I was reasonably satisfied with my purchase. It's a game that should be played by anyone with an interest in SciFi or single player shooters in general, in my opinion, and once it dropped to $30 I think it was a good deal for anyone meeting those criteria.

If Eidos makes another (assuming it is first person) I'll buy that one at full price as well. In the end, that's probably the most important endorsement I could make. But everyone should remember that each person's gaming budget (in dollars and in time) and each person's current list of desired games is unique. I intentionally held off on Bioshock Infinite until it hit $30 because that was its perceived value to me, and lots of other games I've delayed buying until they dropped to $10 or even $5. Just because I paid full price for this particular game and was reasonably happy does not mean that the OP asking if it's worth $3 is an unreasonable question.

Thank you Werepossum. Thats exactly how I feel. Some games I pay close to full price, some I wait until around $20-$30, some $10-15 and then those that dont grab me and I can do without I wait unless the Steam sales. I was lucky with Bioshock, Crysis 3 and Blood dragon is that I got them with my Video card purchase but I have plenty others.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
I really thought i would like it. Turns out i found it rather boring. Honestly, it felt like Half Life 2 to me. I know this is going to get me a lot of hate. :) The story was just dull imo.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I really thought i would like it. Turns out i found it rather boring. Honestly, it felt like Half Life 2 to me. I know this is going to get me a lot of hate. :) The story was just dull imo.

Boring and felt like HL2. What the....? I don't...even...

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

To put your response into context, what games have you thoroughly enjoyed?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I paid full price for it and I wasn't disappointed. I'd have been ecstatic about the value I got out of it if I'd waited for it to be $40.

But for $3? I would buy and play Barbie Fairie Solitaire for $3.

Don't knock Faerie Solitaire. And Kaotic said Barbie Faerie Solitaire is excellent with nude mods.