Deus Ex human revolution worth $3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Really? I read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia (because I just couldn't finish the game as I've stated before) and it doesn't seem like a sci-fi work at all. It reads like a fantasy set in the future.
I was hoping the story would address the effects of augmentation and technology on society and you played a part in whichever you felt was the most "right", because there was isn't really a clear good and evil. However, I was disappointed it turned out to be a "oh there is some secret organization you have to stop from controlling the world!" action movie-eqsue story that was portrayed on Wikipedia.
I suppose I take my science fiction a bit more seriously than most though. =(

to be honestly I haven't finished the game but maybe 3/4 of the way through (i can't finish games these days for some reason - even ones I like).

as far as the sci-fi goes, I feel like they've put a lot of attention to detail in the near-future setting, everything from the architecture, to the technobabble (less babble than typical), the portray of social issues etc. it's got a depth far greater than what you see in most games of this genre. the good vs. evil thing you mentioned and perhaps the lackluster ending are pretty typical in works of fiction and do not detract from its sci-fi "hardness" imo.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
to be honestly I haven't finished the game but maybe 3/4 of the way through (i can't finish games these days for some reason - even ones I like).

as far as the sci-fi goes, I feel like they've put a lot of attention to detail in the near-future setting, everything from the architecture, to the technobabble (less babble than typical), the portray of social issues etc. it's got a depth far greater than what you see in most games of this genre. the good vs. evil thing you mentioned and perhaps the lackluster ending are pretty typical in works of fiction and do not detract from its sci-fi "hardness" imo.

That is kind of what I meant though, it is not a story about the societal effects of this technology, but about the ending itself. (trying not to spoil for those that haven't played it). While the setting might be very futuristic and well thought out, it isn't the setting that makes it sci-fi. Star Wars is not sci-fi in the genre sense. It is a space fantasy. That doesn't mean I don't love it the same. Sci-fi games are very hard to come by, because people don't like that ambiguous quest.

But, I didn't finish the game either. I just read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
This summed up my feelings when I read the title.

tumblr_lrdhw1Cnn81qakrapo1_500.jpg

You called?

Yes it's a great game.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Really? I read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia (because I just couldn't finish the game as I've stated before) and it doesn't seem like a sci-fi work at all. It reads like a fantasy set in the future.
I was hoping the story would address the effects of augmentation and technology on society and you played a part in whichever you felt was the most "right", because there was isn't really a clear good and evil. However, I was disappointed it turned out to be a "oh there is some secret organization you have to stop from controlling the world!" action movie-eqsue story that was portrayed on Wikipedia.
I suppose I take my science fiction a bit more seriously than most though. =(

There's a bit more to it than that.
There was sort of a commentary on whether or not people should be controlled by such an organization for their own good. The Illuminati's goal was actually to delay people from reaching the "next stage of evolution" through augmentations because they felt people weren't ready for it, that they didn't deserve it. They felt that if people where given free access to augmentations, society would tear itself apart. Then there was Hugh Darrow, who felt that technology was already tearing apart society and it would be best if no one had advanced technology. And then there was David Sariff, who felt that the only way humanity could transcend itself and move on to something greater was if everyone was given free access to the augmentations.

You can't expect to get all the depth out of the story by reading a Wikipedia synopsis. :biggrin:

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
It has some nice atmospherics, I'll give it that.

Not quite my thing though.

Worth $3 bucks? Sure, if you remember to play it.

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
It was a good game, worthy of the release price, definitely worth $3.

But when I played through it I kept wishing it was as good as the first Deus Ex. Gotta load that one up again sometime.

It wasn't but it was close enough IMHO.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No, it's not worth it.

If you were just bitten by a snake, have $3, and someone is selling anti-venom for $3.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
woah woah woah woah woah there

no one said anything about playing it

What don't they understand?

If you have a coin collection, do you have to spend the coins?

If you have a stamp collection, do you have to mail things with them?

I played a game I bought in a flash sale once, and missed the next flash sale - sucked.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I was gonna buy it based on reviews but then I watched a Let's Play and I'mglad I didnt buy it because the game is reeaaaaally slow and you have to take your time, do a lotof reading etc. Not to say this is bad, but just not what im looking for atm as I have other hardcore storyline games I am still working through (bioshock infinite, gta4 + episodes, stalker games etc,.)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Sad that we've gotten to the point where people question whether a decent game is worth $3. Probably why we see less and less decent games. People don't want to pay even a SMALL fee to play them. So we'll keep seeing Cod 10, BF 10, Madden 209520, etc. Innovation is something that really isn't rewarded well in the gaming realm for some reason.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Well, I mean, I'm seriously jaded on games and I get bored by the mechanics within 30 minutes to an hour, especially with shooter-esque first person/3rd person adventurish games with narratives.

But I mean, for $3, it is worth 2 hours of your time, sure. That's like a redbox rental. I simply couldn't get myself to care *at all* about the story or about completing the game.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
$3 is daylight robbery for a game of this quality. If you love stealth gameplay, convincing futuristic citiscape and good graphics, get it!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
$3 is daylight robbery for a game of this quality. If you love stealth gameplay, convincing futuristic citiscape and good graphics, get it!

well summarized.

the ending was a little bit of a letdown compared to the original DE, but the overall experience of the game was still excellent.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
That is kind of what I meant though, it is not a story about the societal effects of this technology, but about the ending itself. (trying not to spoil for those that haven't played it). While the setting might be very futuristic and well thought out, it isn't the setting that makes it sci-fi. Star Wars is not sci-fi in the genre sense. It is a space fantasy. That doesn't mean I don't love it the same. Sci-fi games are very hard to come by, because people don't like that ambiguous quest.

But, I didn't finish the game either. I just read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia.

I completely agree. Star wars is not sci-fi, and even star trek isn't "hard sci-fi" enough for my tastes. DE: HR however is pretty good sci-fi in my book, superior to something like Mass Effect in the sci-fi department for example (note: not saying it's a better *game*). Our criteria for judging might differ slightly: I focus on accurate portrayal of science and technology, and minimal use of physics-bending or other magic-like plot devices, and some attempt to extrapolate societal effects of technology (whether good or bad). DE: HR does these fairly well for a game (ignoring obvious concessions made for game play like the Icarus landing system etc.). I see your point that the best works of sci-fi integrate the sci-fi concepts into the core plot, and maybe DE: HR didn't do the best job at it, but how it tells the core plot is also important, and I feel at least there DE: HR did an excellent job (I can't judge the ending since I haven't seen it, but I feel you aren't being totally fair like what Red Hawk said).

well summarized.

the ending was a little bit of a letdown compared to the original DE, but the overall experience of the game was still excellent.

I had very low expectations for the game after Invisible War. The fact that this even came close to the original just blew me away. In some departments I would say it exceeded the original (e.g. art direction and music - some parts seem inspired). I wish more games were like this, but it's quite obvious that these games don't sell.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sad that we've gotten to the point where people question whether a decent game is worth $3. Probably why we see less and less decent games. People don't want to pay even a SMALL fee to play them. So we'll keep seeing Cod 10, BF 10, Madden 209520, etc. Innovation is something that really isn't rewarded well in the gaming realm for some reason.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't even believe this was a question. DE:HR worth 3$? Are you KIDDING ME? It was worth 50-60$. Such a great game. It's not like it's hard to find reviews everywhere for DE:HR either, which unsurprisingly were resoundingly positive.

I guess PC Gamers are just jaded from all the cheap stuff thrown at them incessantly. It's great that stuff is cheap, but sad at the same time that people end up letting their library collect dust and/or people don't appreciate these games. The cheap sales are almost turning into a good AND bad thing...christ. I guess console users have a better appreciation for great games since they're accustomed to paying higher prices. Meanwhile on the PC side it's like...some dude spends 3 seconds playing a game, WHOA IT DOESNT HAVE 120 FOV, this game sucks. Pretty ridiculous :rolleyes:

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
For me its just about wanting to draw the line at some point. If I give in too every impulse to buy every game then I would have way too many games that i dont have time to play. I watched the Lets Play and had to realistic with my myself, im probably not gonna be THAT interested to really delve into the hardcore gameplay of this game. Its not exactly a run and gun shooter and I have a million gmaes I still need to paly (Arkham City GOTY, GTA4 + Episodes, Stalker Trilogy, Fallout New Vegas, Bioshock Infinite, etc etc...)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Exactly what I was thinking. I can't even believe this was a question. DE:HR worth 3$? Are you KIDDING ME? It was worth 50-60$. Such a great game. It's not like it's hard to find reviews everywhere for DE:HR either, which unsurprisingly were resoundingly positive.

I guess PC Gamers are just jaded from all the cheap stuff thrown at them incessantly. It's great that stuff is cheap, but sad at the same time that people end up letting their library collect dust and/or people don't appreciate these games. The cheap sales are almost turning into a good AND bad thing...christ. I guess console users have a better appreciation for great games since they're accustomed to paying higher prices. Meanwhile on the PC side it's like...some dude spends 3 seconds playing a game, WHOA IT DOESNT HAVE 120 FOV, this game sucks. Pretty ridiculous :rolleyes:

When people complain of a lack of good games, I say what's the point of making a good game if people will only buy it when it's on sale for $3? And even then they aren't sure if they should spend $3 for it. But, Soda has gone up to a $1.50 a bottle and people will still go to a vending machine and get that.

We're going to keep getting the same recycled franchises because people aren't willing to pay money outside of those franchises. Sucks but I guess I'll be playing well, BF4 and that's it.

When it comes to DRM, pricing, etc. I understand why people do what they do. This always online shiit or an online element to every game? Ya, otherwise people pirate it. Etc. etc. Sucks but it's really because the industry's consumers are extremely cheap, and I'm unsure how a segment of consumers gets habitually so cheap when it comes to purchasing things.

Women will spend anything on shoes, and other things they love. Gamers? Only when it's below 10 dollars will I buy the GOTY!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Yup. It's sad that this question even has to be asked. DE:HR is one of the greatest games to come out in the past couple years, and you don't have to look hard to find raving reviews for it.

I watched the Lets Play and had to realistic with my myself, im probably not gonna be THAT interested to really delve into the hardcore gameplay of this game.

It's... not really that hardcore of a game. Even on Normal difficulty, it's no more challenging than most other games on the market.

If Deus Ex HR looks "hardcore" to you, then what's your idea of "easy"?

Its not exactly a run and gun shooter

Oh.

When people complain of a lack of good games, I say what's the point of making a good game if people will only buy it when it's on sale for $3? And even then they aren't sure if they should spend $3 for it. But, Soda has gone up to a $1.50 a bottle and people will still go to a vending machine and get that.

We're going to keep getting the same recycled franchises because people aren't willing to pay money outside of those franchises. Sucks but I guess I'll be playing well, BF4 and that's it.

When it comes to DRM, pricing, etc. I understand why people do what they do. This always online shiit or an online element to every game? Ya, otherwise people pirate it. Etc. etc. Sucks but it's really because the industry's consumers are extremely cheap, and I'm unsure how a segment of consumers gets habitually so cheap when it comes to purchasing things.

Women will spend anything on shoes, and other things they love. Gamers? Only when it's below 10 dollars will I buy the GOTY!

So many bad generalizations in this post. There is, in fact, a market of gamers who are willing to pay full-price for a game like Deus Ex.

There are lots of recycled franchises, yes; but it's entirely possible to ignore those franchises and play one of the dozens of fresh, new IPs and games with creative ideas that are released every year. You just have to broaden your horizons a little bit.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

It's why developers focus on consoles, honestly. Prices are higher there. The margins and profits simply blow PC gaming away, and has for a while. And that is why the PC gets ports of said console games, instead of being built from the ground up for high end PCs. The most profitable video game franchises of all times? All of them designed for consoles first and PCs second. GTA IV, case in point - perhaps the worst PC port of all time (at release). But it still raked in a gabillion dollars.

While i'm a PC gamer myself, I just can't believe the attitude of some jaded PC gamers out there..DE:HR worth 3$? :rolleyes: mindblowing... at least most console gamers (for the most part) actually appreciate great games. Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely mindboggling, nitpicking over some of the most inconsequential things that have nothing to do with the DE:HR itself. I guess it's a side effect of people compiling tons of 5$ games from steam, they don't appreciate truly great games. They'll spend 13 seconds playing a game that cost 2$ on steam and then complain about some of the most useless nonsense... Whatever. Doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
got some cheapasses on this forum

I own and have paid for a lot of games over the years whether on Steam or Origin or actual copies and I assure you I am not cheap. I am back at College and funds are rather tight... bought stuff on Summer sale already, just trying to keep my limited funds for games I really want. Anyways the point is Moot as I bought the game. :biggrin:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

I get what you are saying, the mentality is such that unless people must have a title on launch day most of us will wait for a sale on one of the Digital distribution channels, aka Steam. So we wait for 50% deals or if patient enough we wait for killer deals.
I have bought a lot of games at great prices but I have also paid full price for crappy (and good) games.
I paid full price for Rage and will never repeat that mistake again.