Deus Ex human revolution worth $3?

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I know i know... you will all say of course.. but I like a mix of stealth and shooting and it seems from the reviews that while the stealth is very good, the shooting is not quite up to scratch. Got 38 minutes left to pull the trigger. :p

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This summed up my feelings when I read the title.

tumblr_lrdhw1Cnn81qakrapo1_500.jpg

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks :awe: I just needed those comments to push me over the edge. Done and done.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Unequivocally yes. I greatly enjoyed that game. Now I'm thinking about playing it again with the mod mentioned above. It should be good for quite a few replays given how many options you have in each level and in your own character advancement.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Yup I picked it up. Played it on PS3 and beat it but hated using a controller.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
There are a lot of ways to play Deus Ex. Lots of different weapons available, with mods, and you can customize your augmentations to fit your play style as well.

In my first game, I played it mostly stealth but also did shooting as well and didn't really care if I set off the alarms. The silenced upgraded pistol is one of the best weapons in the game, with common ammo and 1-hit kills on most enemies if you get headshots. The heavy weapons are useful against bosses but not much else, and you have limited inventory space so you can't just haul around a gatling gun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, shotgun, and all that ammo at once.

All that really means is, you can't go into it and play Rambo, much as you might want to. You'll have to manage your inventory carefully even if you're a killing machine, focusing on two or three weapons at most. But it is certainly possible to play the game with more shooting and less sneaking.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
bought it for full price ($50) and still think that was worth it. it doesn't just have good game play. the plot and ambiance is top notch. if you are a cyberpunk or sci-fi fan in general it's a must get. this is one of those rare sci-fi works aisde from novels that take sci-fi seriously.

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Unequivocally yes. I greatly enjoyed that game. Now I'm thinking about playing it again with the mod mentioned above. It should be good for quite a few replays given how many options you have in each level and in your own character advancement.

So that mod handles battery cell regen if I read correctly?

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
bought it for full price ($50) and still think that was worth it. it doesn't just have good game play. the plot and ambiance is top notch. if you are a cyberpunk or sci-fi fan in general it's a must get. this is one of those rare sci-fi works aisde from novels that take sci-fi seriously.

Same here. $50. Totally worth it.:colbert:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Everyone says how good this game is, but I just can never bring myself to play past the first mission. I have restarted the game at least 5 times. I just can't get into it. =(

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
So that mod handles battery cell regen if I read correctly?

Yes. In the game you have energy cells that are used for special abilities like cloaking, melee takedowns, etc. You can increase the number of energy cells available but only the last one will regenerate. So if you drain your very last energy cell, it will slowly regenerate and you'll get it back, but you can't refill any of the other cells unless you eat energy bars.

The mod changes it so you regenerate all the way until your energy cells are full.

It seems like a cheat, but then again you could also think of it as a time saver since the game does give you a lot of energy bars throughout. And you don't really need full energy cells unless you plan on doing a lot of cloaking or a bunch of takedowns all in a row.

hrm.. I plan on using my Xbox 360 wired controller with my PC. Is that a negative thing with this game?

I haven't played with the controller but I can say that the game controls great with the keyboard and mouse. Most of the time you're in first person mode, so aiming with the mouse is a lot more precise. It's only when you're in cover that you switch to third person, and aiming is still better with the mouse.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I had gotten this game for few bucks from OnLive but the lag made it unplayable. Got it again on Steam this time and I'm eager to play. And after selling a bunch of Steam trading cards I ended up paying 7 cents for it. :D

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Yes. In the game you have energy cells that are used for special abilities like cloaking, melee takedowns, etc. You can increase the number of energy cells available but only the last one will regenerate. So if you drain your very last energy cell, it will slowly regenerate and you'll get it back, but you can't refill any of the other cells unless you eat energy bars.

The mod changes it so you regenerate all the way until your energy cells are full.

It seems like a cheat, but then again you could also think of it as a time saver since the game does give you a lot of energy bars throughout. And you don't really need full energy cells unless you plan on doing a lot of cloaking or a bunch of takedowns all in a row.

I haven't played with the controller but I can say that the game controls great with the keyboard and mouse. Most of the time you're in first person mode, so aiming with the mouse is a lot more precise. It's only when you're in cover that you switch to third person, and aiming is still better with the mouse.

Sounds like more of a tweak/fix than a cheat and something they should have put into the game in the first place.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I have it on 360, but after hearing that the Director's Cut will make it's way to PC, I'm going to hold out before re-purchasing.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Wow. I bought it for 50$ as others here have and it was totally worth it at that price.

For 3$ you should buy it. Immediately. It was definitely one of my GOTY titles for 2011.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yyyeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss

hrm.. I plan on using my Xbox 360 wired controller with my PC. Is that a negative thing with this game?

A 360 controller will work fine.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
this is one of those rare sci-fi works aisde from novels that take sci-fi seriously.

Really? I read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia (because I just couldn't finish the game as I've stated before) and it doesn't seem like a sci-fi work at all. It reads like a fantasy set in the future.
I was hoping the story would address the effects of augmentation and technology on society and you played a part in whichever you felt was the most "right", because there was isn't really a clear good and evil. However, I was disappointed it turned out to be a "oh there is some secret organization you have to stop from controlling the world!" action movie-eqsue story that was portrayed on Wikipedia.
I suppose I take my science fiction a bit more seriously than most though. =(