Detroit Taks on Japan in 2004, can Detroit take back Americas Streets?

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
As long as GM & Ford can't solve their UAW problem, they're heading for bankruptcy. Too much cost for too little result.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
can Detroit take back Americas Streets?

With the labor unions and general lack of efficiency in the auto industry in this country...

No.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: rufruf44
As long as GM & Ford can't solve their UAW problem, they're heading for bankruptcy. Too much cost for too little result.

What's UAW? Unions?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
united auto workers. another fine example of a union that likes to hold its companies hostage until they go out of business.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
United Auto Workers

The whiney asshats that make poor quality yet think they need to be paid $30/hour for it.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Its real easy to place blame on the union's doorstep. Some of that maybe true,not all.

The American car manufactures have taken a vast amount of their profit offshore,

instead of investing in production tooling and design. They have ridden their laurels into

the ground. In the next ten years Korea, then China will get more market share.

America will be much like the UK in the near future when it comes to producing cars.

Right now China produces more motorcycles than any other country. Yes, they are
350cc and under. We can laugh at them just as we did the Japanese 40 years ago.
Just wait, China will enter the car market. Until that time Japan will rule, at least
as far as selling cars........
:sun:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Its real easy to place blame on the union's doorstep. Some of that maybe true,not all.

The American car manufactures have taken a vast amount of their profit offshore,

instead of investing in production tooling and design. They have ridden their laurels into

the ground. In the next ten years Korea, then China will get more market share.

America will be much like the UK in the near future when it comes to producing cars.

Right now China produces more motorcycles than any other country. Yes, they are
350cc and under. We can laugh at them just as we did the Japanese 40 years ago.
Just wait, China will enter the car market. Until that time Japan will rule, at least
as far as selling cars........
:sun:

It's scary to think about how China's inexpensive, bull-whiped labor force will change the automotive world once they finally have the recources to produce on such a scale. Once QA is under control, we'll start to see $20K Lexus-like cars with Toyota-like quality. No one will stand a chance.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I bought 500 shares of Ford stock last tuesday. You do the math. The analysts think Ford will go down, I think they are wrong.
I think the new Mustang, ford 500, freestyle, and Futura will be new hits for Ford.
My opinion is that if Ford can translate the refinement, technology, value, and design of the Ford 500 to other models, they will be in good shape in late 2004 and 2005.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
I bought 500 shares of Ford stock last tuesday. You do the math. The analysts think Ford will go down, I think they are wrong.
I think the new Mustang, ford 500, freestyle, and Futura will be new hits for Ford.
My opinion is that if Ford can translate the refinement, technology, value, and design of the Ford 500 to other models, they will be in good shape in late 2004 and 2005.
You only have yourself to answer to. :)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
You only have yourself to answer to. :)

I must be nuts living in Camryland and betting on Mustangs and Taurus replacements. :)

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

They are filing for bankruptcy soon....and no im not kidding either. I honestly do hope they change their minds about doing so and the new cars pull them back out. But if they go down its because they dug their own grave.

(Bankruptcy info coming from within Unions from Ford)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Chadder007

They are filing for bankruptcy soon....and no im not kidding either. I honestly do hope they change their minds about doing so and the new cars pull them back out. But if they go down its because they dug their own grave.

Yeah, they have dug their own grave by not keeping up with the Japaneese. They are trying to turn around though, but they are behind because they slacked off in years past. I hope they can take back the streets so to speak, because nothing is better to drive than one of the truly great American cars. It may be a while before they reach that quality again, but hey, why not give them a chance to do so before we say that they can never catch up. The new lineup for the domestic manufacturers is starting to look pretty good. But at the very least, if they do fall short of the Japs once again, its still an improvement over what they had so it may just be a matter of time.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

wow thats probably something he didnt want to hear after buying 500 shares....

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN

Where did I leave my BS flag. ;) Last time I heard about automaker about to go bankrupt was Nissan which was around $5 at that point, and is at $22 now.
Here is to Ford "going bankrupt" the same way Nissan did. :D

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Last month in North America, GM sold more cars and trucks than all the Japanese makes (Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Suzuki, and Isuzu) combined - 444,038 vs. 385,268. With their barrage of new products coming out, I think GM will build on those sales numbers. I don't think GM is going down the tubes any time soon. I'm sure the foreign makes will have an answer to these new product launches. Competition is great. :)

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Where did I leave my BS flag. ;) Last time I heard about automaker about to go bankrupt was Nissan which was around $5 at that point, and is at $22 now.

That's true - I heard Nissan was close to selling their headquarters in Tokyo during those tough times. Then Renault and Ghosn came in. How times have changed. :)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Yeah, buy low, sell high... I should certainly hope so. If Ford can make a turnaround like nissan did, then I would think your investment will pay off quite well. I don't think domestics are going to go too much lower at this point, especially since their new models are getting the reviews that they are.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if ford can put the kind of quality into everything that is in the new F150 they won't have a problem taking on anyone. i do think they'll need to negotiate with the UAW some. or maybe ford will turn out like the steel industry has, new companies coming in and buying up the assets of the old to get fresh start without the debt.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Yeah, buy low, sell high... I should certainly hope so. If Ford can make a turnaround like nissan did, then I would think your investment will pay off quite well. I don't think domestics are going to go too much lower at this point, especially since their new models are getting the reviews that they are.