Determining bandwidth requirements

Conundrum

Jun 18, 2001
I have a friend that posed an interesting question to me recently. I thought I might go ahead and post in the forums to see if anyone had anything to contribute. Since I have no direct means of testing it myself, does anyone here know what a website that has chat rooms running streaming cam feeds would require on a monthly basis? For the sake of the question itself, I'll set some parameters for the people who might have this information.

Let's say 100 users to a room and ten chat rooms available. Since the use of cams is becoming a much more accepted means of communicating. It did give me pause when he asked me because I honestly have no idea what kind of bandwidth would be required to support that. I suppose all you'd need to know would be to figure out how much bandwidth would be consumed by one person. I just don't know if it other variables would come into play. For instance, if someone used MSN Messenger on their home computer and simply watched your own personal network traffic. Could that be used to make that determination?