determine ip address of router w/o dhcp server on

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
I have a linksys wireless router that has a dhcp server turned off, but I'd like to know its ip address so I could turn off the broadcast ssid setting on it. Since it is not the ip address giving router for any computer connected to it, is there a way to change this setting while connected to it?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Start pinging addresses in your range until you get one that works. :) Or you could check the router that DOES have DHCP on to see if it's assigning a certain address that doesn't match a PC and try that one.

Also some wireless program can see that stuff but it depend son the card and drive you have.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Turn off the SSID and you would have a Router that you do not know its IP and Quirky Wireless.

nightowl

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
Unless you have changed the IP of the box it should be 192.168.1.1. If has been changed, I would fire up a sniffer (WireShark) and reboot the router. You should see some traffic from it on the LAN ports (ARP) that will give you what the IP address is.

scott0482

Nov 15, 2004
you can also hit the reset button on the router and it will make it 192.168.1.1 .. then you can plug it into only 1 computer.. log in and set it the way you want it.. then put it back where it was