Detained for speaking Spanish, lawsuit ensues

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
We're only given one side of the story, but I personally can't imagine the detainment as presented here to be constitutional. Speaking Spanish can't be reasonable suspicion of being an undocumented immigrant.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
We're only given one side of the story, but I personally can't imagine the detainment as presented here to be constitutional. Speaking Spanish can't be reasonable suspicion of being an undocumented immigrant.

Watch the video. He actually says he detained them for speaking Spanish, verbatim.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
CBP authority should start and stop right at the border, not extend 100 miles into the interior.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I'm a pasty white guy who can speak broken Spanish, are they going to detain me now?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I wish I was fluent in Spanish as I would speak Spanish all the time just to mess with people.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
we should try an experiment,

3 sets of people, have them speak 3 tongues, spanish, french or german and mandarin in the presence of border patrol agents and see who get stopped and questioned.

Nov 8, 2012
Well, we don't have a declared national language, so it's rather hard to detain someone based on language.

But god damn, someone speaking Spanish in Montana? Sheeeeet - that's gotta be hard to find :p Hell, it's hard to find people in general in Montana haha.

Reactions: footballrunner800
Nov 8, 2012
Based on the video, looks like he asked for valid identification - Is that out of the ordinary?

I'm mainly asking because whenever I've driven from Texas to Arizona (long ass road trip along I10) I have a few times come across immigration based stops where they ask for identification and ask where I'm going, etc... How is this much different?

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Well, we don't have a declared national language, so it's rather hard to detain someone based on language.

But god damn, someone speaking Spanish in Montana? Sheeeeet - that's gotta be hard to find :p Hell, it's hard to find people in general in Montana haha.

You do know that Montana was part of Mexico up until we stole that land from them right? The name Montana comes from the Spanish word Montaña, which in turn comes from the Latin word Montanea, meaning "mountain", or more broadly, "mountainous country". I can't imagine why there would be Spanish speakers in a place that has spoken Spanish for over 300 years.

I think someone needs to study up on the history of this damn country. Throughout the Mississippi and Missouri River valleys, you are going to find people that speak French, French Creole, and Spanish as well. You will hear German spoken in certain parts of this country, mostly the upper Midwest and parts of Pennsylvania. In Minnesota, you will hear people speaking Nordic languages.

Anywhere west of the western boundary of Louisiana Purchase territory was all Spanish Territory before the Mexican-American War that was triggered by white settlers in the Mexican state of Tejas declaring themselves a Republic and then they begged the US government for help when they were losing the war they started.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
You do know that Montana was part of Mexico up until we stole that land from them right? The name Montana comes from the Spanish word Montaña, which in turn comes from the Latin word Montanea, meaning "mountain", or more broadly, "mountainous country". I can't imagine why there would be Spanish speakers in a place that has spoken Spanish for over 300 years.

I think someone needs to study up on the history of this damn country. Throughout the Mississippi and Missouri River valleys, you are going to find people that speak French, French Creole, and Spanish as well. You will hear German spoken in certain parts of this country, mostly the upper Midwest and parts of Pennsylvania. In Minnesota, you will hear people speaking Nordic languages.

Anywhere west of the western boundary of Louisiana Purchase territory was all Spanish Territory before the Mexican-American War that was triggered by white settlers in the Mexican state of Tejas declaring themselves a Republic and then they begged the US government for help when they were losing the war they started.

Amen, Brother.

Viceroyalty-Spain.jpg

Reactions: ch33zw1z

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Based on the video, looks like he asked for valid identification - Is that out of the ordinary?

I'm mainly asking because whenever I've driven from Texas to Arizona (long ass road trip along I10) I have a few times come across immigration based stops where they ask for identification and ask where I'm going, etc... How is this much different?

Because it's a check-point, where they stop everyone.

That's a bit different , Constitutionally, than singling out individuals, capisce?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

I dunno. I suppose going through checkpoints like you did is exactly the same as being accosted for speaking Spanish while shopping in a convenience store. Yep, exactly the same.