Question Destroyed Hard Disk

rebuildneeded

Apr 13, 2020
past few days, due to blue screens of win10 of my laptop and its been looping in repairs and reboots (could still boot into safe mode though, and reinstall did not help), i tried to fix by factory reset with the generated usb bootable recovery flash drive

but becoz of a stuck in the middle and overlooked the procedures, i had accidentally done with CLEANs and CONVERTED TO PGT for all the two existing disk partitions.

and then it could not boot anything at all, and only showed PXE-E61 error, as well as no boot device found.

So what reliable and safe softwares might i use on usb flash drive to boot up the system so that I may format the hard disk?

but as it could not boot up the factory usb bootable flash drive, i am not sure if, due to the current status of hard disk (not only no boot found but also not recognized?), the system had already lost some fundamental drivers to read from different pheripherals

Please help.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
A search on PXE-E61 error shows that you are likely trying to boot from a network source, therefore I think you have your boot options set wrong in the BIOS.

You have to try and set your BIOS to boot from your USB flash drive and go from there.

Mac29

Jun 2, 2010
If you get past the PXe boot error I'd be more concerned w/the CLEAN procedure than the partitioning conversion. You may be able to get back to square one if you don't do anything further at this point. Not familiar w/your manufacturers' reset. I'd read up carefully before doing anything else.

leexgx

Nov 4, 2004
past few days, due to blue screens of win10 of my laptop and its been looping in repairs and reboots (could still boot into safe mode though, and reinstall did not help), i tried to fix by factory reset with the generated usb bootable recovery flash drive

but becoz of a stuck in the middle and overlooked the procedures, i had accidentally done with CLEANs and CONVERTED TO PGT for all the two existing disk partitions.

and then it could not boot anything at all, and only showed PXE-E61 error, as well as no boot device found.

So what reliable and safe softwares might i use on usb flash drive to boot up the system so that I may format the hard disk?

but as it could not boot up the factory usb bootable flash drive, i am not sure if, due to the current status of hard disk (not only no boot found but also not recognized?), the system had already lost some fundamental drivers to read from different pheripherals

Please help.

if the HDD cannot be found or is missing boot sector it will move onto next item on the boot order (on older systems that will be network boot)

second if your OS is freezing and it's going into automatic repair Replace the HDD with a SSD , its 90% likely it's the HDD is failing (only takes one block on the HDD to cause all sorts of problems)

boot to windows 10 USB stick or DVD and Press Shift+F10 , that should open CMD prompt and run "diskpart" , "list disk" , "select disk X" (X been your internal HDD it will be the biggest disk normaly 0 but sometimes is 1) and then type "Clean" and then exit , your disk is now reset like new ish (note all of these "" are commands, so type them and enter button on keyboard) Note make sure you select the correct disk or you nuke your USB stick (assuming your using a windows 10 USB install way)

after that exit and restart PC and boot back to USB and install windows 10 (just pick empty space and click next it does all the partitions automatically you don't need to make them)

install somthing to get a report on your HDD, like "HDD sentinel", if Health is anything but 100% on a HDD replace it (there be a physical problem with the HDD that could result in random slow or hanging problems,not sure why but some people think using a HDD with reallocated sectors is fine)
if its a SSD health does not mean the same thing as a HDD, SSD x% heath means Remaining life , below 25-50% is the time when i would consider replacing a SSD but it does not mean its failing it just means used Writes up (i yet managed to get a SSD below 90%)

Last edited: