Destiny 2 PC Discussion

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
In Destiny 2 your levels and gear doesn't matter for PvP. Only the perks take effect. A lv300 player has no advantage against a lv270 except the weapon type and any perks and subclasses used. So for example a Hunter Nightstaker at lv270 using a Mida Multi-Tool and a Uriel's Gift has no disadvantage against a player of the same class using the same weapons but who is lv305. Even if your weapon is only lv205 and someone has one that is 305, the 305 version does not do more damage.

no but a 305 player will have Uriel while the 270 might not...

infact the 305 player will also have all the other exotics he can flip though while the 270 again will not.

I have 2 characters at 280 and so far i have only gotten uriels once.... god gotta love that RNG huh? :\

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
no but a 305 player will have Uriel while the 270 might not...

infact the 305 player will also have all the other exotics he can flip though while the 270 again will not.

I have 2 characters at 280 and so far i have only gotten uriels once.... god gotta love that RNG huh? :\

None of the weapons are locked behind levels. Besides no exotic weapon in the game is unbeatable in crucible. The meta is Mida multi tool and Uriel gift combo but I’ve beaten Mida users with other weapons. You just can’t stand there and try to out gun them down a corridor.

What I was saying before is that your level alone and the level of your weapons does not mean you kill people easier.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I finally started playing Destiny 2, and I can say that it's a little odd to jump into from a new player's perspective. I'll admit that for a while, I didn't even know what thing was my health bar since there was more than one bar on the screen. I also don't really completely understand the ammo system either. I get that there are three different types of weapons (kinetic, elemental and power), but the ammo reserves and stuff are just... weird in Destiny. It seems that the RPM value listed on the weapon is actually the max amount of ammo that you can hold for that type. It was kind of confusing to me because, in my experience, RPM typically means rounds per minute when talking about rapid-fire weaponry. Also, there was one time when I swapped from a sniper rifle to a grenade launcher, and all of my power ammo was gone at that point.

Speaking of ammo, it's really annoying that you're looking for specific ammo types and enemies only ever seem to drop ammo that you aren't using. I tend to use kinetic weapons a lot since they deal the most damage to your average enemy... or at least that's what I've experienced. However, most enemies tend to drop elemental ammo (green) rather than kinetic (white). It kind of reminds me of what it was like to play a character in Borderlands without having a class mod with ammo regeneration. (Good luck when you inevitably run out!)

Speaking of Borderlands, I hate to say it, but playing Destiny 2 makes me want to play Borderlands instead. While Borderlands is far from a perfect game, I feel like the heroes and their abilities are more interesting than the class system in Destiny 2, and the more vibrant colors make everything less despressing. It doesn't help that the guns are also a bit more interesting in Borderlands, but to be fair, there may be some cool weapons that I just haven't seen yet in Destiny 2! I did get some fancy piece of armor from the Titan questline, but the armor immediately became outclassed by goods that I could purchase from the same vendor. It probably doesn't help that my level is a bit high... I didn't think it was until I saw a level 5 Warlock with that same armor as me, and I'm a level 11. :p

Oct 20, 2005
So, I finally started playing Destiny 2, and I can say that it's a little odd to jump into from a new player's perspective. I'll admit that for a while, I didn't even know what thing was my health bar since there was more than one bar on the screen. I also don't really completely understand the ammo system either. I get that there are three different types of weapons (kinetic, elemental and power), but the ammo reserves and stuff are just... weird in Destiny. It seems that the RPM value listed on the weapon is actually the max amount of ammo that you can hold for that type. It was kind of confusing to me because, in my experience, RPM typically means rounds per minute when talking about rapid-fire weaponry. Also, there was one time when I swapped from a sniper rifle to a grenade launcher, and all of my power ammo was gone at that point.

Speaking of ammo, it's really annoying that you're looking for specific ammo types and enemies only ever seem to drop ammo that you aren't using. I tend to use kinetic weapons a lot since they deal the most damage to your average enemy... or at least that's what I've experienced. However, most enemies tend to drop elemental ammo (green) rather than kinetic (white). It kind of reminds me of what it was like to play a character in Borderlands without having a class mod with ammo regeneration. (Good luck when you inevitably run out!)

Speaking of Borderlands, I hate to say it, but playing Destiny 2 makes me want to play Borderlands instead. While Borderlands is far from a perfect game, I feel like the heroes and their abilities are more interesting than the class system in Destiny 2, and the more vibrant colors make everything less despressing. It doesn't help that the guns are also a bit more interesting in Borderlands, but to be fair, there may be some cool weapons that I just haven't seen yet in Destiny 2! I did get some fancy piece of armor from the Titan questline, but the armor immediately became outclassed by goods that I could purchase from the same vendor. It probably doesn't help that my level is a bit high... I didn't think it was until I saw a level 5 Warlock with that same armor as me, and I'm a level 11. :p

RPM in the game does mean rounds per minute. It is an indication of how fast the gun fires. The number below it shows how many rounds are in the magazine. No where in the gun description does it tell you what the max reserve rounds are for that gun though. The only way to see what the max reserve amount is to equip the gun and pick up ammo until the reserve number doesn't go up anymore.

And the reason you lost ammo when you switched guns in the same class is because it's there to punish you or discourage you from changing weapons all the time. There is a penalty of losing your ammo.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
RPM in the game does mean rounds per minute. It is an indication of how fast the gun fires. The number below it shows how many rounds are in the magazine. No where in the gun description does it tell you what the max reserve rounds are for that gun though. The only way to see what the max reserve amount is to equip the gun and pick up ammo until the reserve number doesn't go up anymore.

Hm, the numbers seemed to match a few times, which is why I assumed it was the number of rounds that I was allowed to have in reserve.

And the reason you lost ammo when you switched guns in the same class is because it's there to punish you or discourage you from changing weapons all the time. There is a penalty of losing your ammo.

But... I switch weapons whenever I get one that's arguably better, and I don't lose my ammo. Although, I do get a shift in how much ammo I'm allowed to have at once due to the weapon equipped. I'm actually wondering now if the reason why my ammo got zero'd out was due to how much ammo I had left. Sniper rifles seem to have the most ammo of all power weapons, and I think some grenade launchers have really small amounts. So, if it converts these values, I may end up with 0 as the result? I don't know, but it's dumb and annoying... especially when the game tells you in the beginning that destroying a shield with a certain elemental type causes an explosion that damages the enemy (i.e. you should consider doing this), but if you have the wrong element equipped, you can't do this without equipping a different gun and losing your ammo? o_O

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
You won't lose all your ammo swapping out kinetic or energy weapons, you will with power weapons, that's where the disconnect is coming from.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

There is a free 2 play game called warframe which is sort of like destiny.
It has a simular storyline and a lot of warsuits with different powers.

Also kentic weapons are not always the holy grail weapons.
If you run into an shielded enemy, especially a yellow health bar one, its gonna take a lot of rounds to get though his shields with a kinetic.

Not to mention the 2 best auto rifles are on the elemental side.
Uriel's + Prospectors are both energy types and hands down the best auto rifles in the game if you ignore the exotic one for the titan paired with the exotic war rig chest armor.

The meta is Mida multi tool and Uriel gift combo but I’ve beaten Mida users with other weapons. You just can’t stand there and try to out gun them down a corridor.

What I was saying before is that your level alone and the level of your weapons does not mean you kill people easier.

Mida requires you to complete quest which people recommend u not doing until you have reached at least 265+ because the SMG and Scout Rifle ATK roll is highly dependant on your current power level.
So anyone who goes after Mida at a low power level is just gimping the ATK roll.

none of that is actually true

Am i missing out on something then? I though Uriel was pure RNG drop from Gunsmith.
I have only gotten 1 so far on my characters. I would love another, however RNG is not so kind to me.... but i did get a trials of the 9 prospector which i am starting to like just as much.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Hm, the numbers seemed to match a few times, which is why I assumed it was the number of rounds that I was allowed to have in reserve.

But... I switch weapons whenever I get one that's arguably better, and I don't lose my ammo. Although, I do get a shift in how much ammo I'm allowed to have at once due to the weapon equipped. I'm actually wondering now if the reason why my ammo got zero'd out was due to how much ammo I had left. Sniper rifles seem to have the most ammo of all power weapons, and I think some grenade launchers have really small amounts. So, if it converts these values, I may end up with 0 as the result? I don't know, but it's dumb and annoying... especially when the game tells you in the beginning that destroying a shield with a certain elemental type causes an explosion that damages the enemy (i.e. you should consider doing this), but if you have the wrong element equipped, you can't do this without equipping a different gun and losing your ammo? o_O

Power weapons will drop to 0 ammo when you swap(exception being having wardclif coil exotic rocket launcher equipped and switching to another power weapon). Kinetic and Energy weapons don't drop to 0 when you switch. Energy weapons are best used against enemy shields. Don't switch power weapons in an attempt to blast shields off. They are more for doing a lot of damage in a short time.

Oct 20, 2005

If you run into an shielded enemy, especially a yellow health bar one, its gonna take a lot of rounds to get though his shields with a kinetic.

Uriel's + Prospectors are both energy types and hands down the best auto rifles in the game if you ignore the exotic one for the titan paired with the exotic war rig chest armor.

Mida requires you to complete quest which people recommend u not doing until you have reached at least 265+ because the SMG and Scout Rifle ATK roll is highly dependant on your current power level.
So anyone who goes after Mida at a low power level is just gimping the ATK roll.

Am i missing out on something then? I though Uriel was pure RNG drop from Gunsmith.
I have only gotten 1 so far on my characters. I would love another, however RNG is not so kind to me.... but i did get a trials of the 9 prospector which i am starting to like just as much.

Yes, I believe Uriel's is just an RNG drop (i've only ever gotten 2). However, I think Anubis is saying that just because you are 305, doesn't mean you have everything. In fact, a 270 player may have more weapons at their disposal than a 305.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

True but you blast the shield off and then switch to your kinetic which will usually result in more damage. Nameless Midnight(scout rifle) and Better Devils(hand canon) both do more damage than any energy weapon under normal circumstances.

This may not necessarily true if you have Ghost Primus (raid auto rifle) or Origin Story(from zavala) which both can outdamage Uriel's Gift within their optimal range. The reason Uriel's Gift is so good is because of high caliber rounds which causes the enemy to stagger(really good in pvp) and it has probably the longest range of any Auto Rifle. Plus it's super stable. SO you can stay out of the optimal range for weapons that have a faster TTK in crucible using it.

Right but like many people do, I got Mida(twice because of two characters) but used it as infusion fuel for Nameless Midnight which outdamages it in all PvE content, and a Mannanan SR4 energy scout rifle. Then I bought another from my collection for 10 legendary shards. The one from the collection is 205. So my Mida may only be 205 but it does the same damage as someone with a 300 version in crucible.

It does come from the gunsmith but you aren't locked out of receiving it because of your level. If you have gotten to the tower, you can get a Uriel's Gift from the gunsmith. I have 3 of them, one for each Element.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One thing that I need to do is consider looking into the options again. I use a 5 sensitivity (800 DPI) for normal combat, but I find that the lack of a scoped sensitivity makes the sniper rifle harder to use than it should be. I'm a flick shot, and I can't really aim well with the sniper rifle if I'm down sights. I haven't checked to see if it's possible to quickscope in Destiny 2, but if you can, that might help.

You won't lose all your ammo swapping out kinetic or energy weapons, you will with power weapons, that's where the disconnect is coming from.

Ok. That clears things up a bit. Thanks!

You know... Warframe is one of the few free-to-play games that I've seen and looked at, but I can't remember if I've even tried it. I think I did a while ago, but I can't remember for sure. However, I had heard good things about the game, and it might be worth looking at.

One thing that I do find kind of boring in Destiny 2 are the boss characters... or at least I assume they're sort of bosses? The problem is that all you do is shoot them... and maybe they shoot back. I may be too early on to fight more advanced bosses or bosses with interesting phases, but right now, I seem to just get named hero enemies with more health that deal more damage. I did fight this big spider-tank robot during a public event, and while it seemed to have phases, it was still kind of boring.

I think the problem largely comes from how you mostly just press left click the whole time, so there's just not a lot to do other than swapping targets. It may seem like a weird complaint given that I'm used to fighting bosses for 10+ minutes in an MMO, but the difference between Destiny 2 and World of WarCraft is that I played classes that had numerous cooldowns in WoW. Prior to the class changes in Warlords, I was using an ability priority with around 8 different abilities on my Shaman. It may seem strenuous, but it's part of what really keeps you engaged having to manage everything. When Blizzard changed things to make them simpler, it actually felt a little more boring.

So, I'm wondering if the lack of abilities is the problem. It seems like I have three abilities: grenade, melee shock and ground aura, which all have long cooldowns. I got the talent that reduces the cooldown on grenade and ground aura when I kill mobs while in the air, and that helps a bit. Although, I've gotten myself killed from accidentally drifting the wrong way and falling off the edge. :p

Yeah, I know how elemental weapons destroy shields faster, but I'll admit that I'm sometimes too lazy to swap as long as I can take out the shield fast enough with kinetics. On bosses and stuff, I'll likely have to swap, but some hardened enemies don't really matter.

I'll have to make sure to look out for those. I don't mind using elemental weapons, but I use kinetic mostly because they've always seemed more powerful against non-shielded enemies. Whatever kills stuff the fastest is what I use. :p

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
One thing that I need to do is consider looking into the options again. I use a 5 sensitivity (800 DPI) for normal combat, but I find that the lack of a scoped sensitivity makes the sniper rifle harder to use than it should be. I'm a flick shot, and I can't really aim well with the sniper rifle if I'm down sights. I haven't checked to see if it's possible to quickscope in Destiny 2, but if you can, that might help.

Ok. That clears things up a bit. Thanks!

You know... Warframe is one of the few free-to-play games that I've seen and looked at, but I can't remember if I've even tried it. I think I did a while ago, but I can't remember for sure. However, I had heard good things about the game, and it might be worth looking at.

One thing that I do find kind of boring in Destiny 2 are the boss characters... or at least I assume they're sort of bosses? The problem is that all you do is shoot them... and maybe they shoot back. I may be too early on to fight more advanced bosses or bosses with interesting phases, but right now, I seem to just get named hero enemies with more health that deal more damage. I did fight this big spider-tank robot during a public event, and while it seemed to have phases, it was still kind of boring.

I think the problem largely comes from how you mostly just press left click the whole time, so there's just not a lot to do other than swapping targets. It may seem like a weird complaint given that I'm used to fighting bosses for 10+ minutes in an MMO, but the difference between Destiny 2 and World of WarCraft is that I played classes that had numerous cooldowns in WoW. Prior to the class changes in Warlords, I was using an ability priority with around 8 different abilities on my Shaman. It may seem strenuous, but it's part of what really keeps you engaged having to manage everything. When Blizzard changed things to make them simpler, it actually felt a little more boring.

So, I'm wondering if the lack of abilities is the problem. It seems like I have three abilities: grenade, melee shock and ground aura, which all have long cooldowns. I got the talent that reduces the cooldown on grenade and ground aura when I kill mobs while in the air, and that helps a bit. Although, I've gotten myself killed from accidentally drifting the wrong way and falling off the edge. :p

Yeah, I know how elemental weapons destroy shields faster, but I'll admit that I'm sometimes too lazy to swap as long as I can take out the shield fast enough with kinetics. On bosses and stuff, I'll likely have to swap, but some hardened enemies don't really matter.

I'll have to make sure to look out for those. I don't mind using elemental weapons, but I use kinetic mostly because they've always seemed more powerful against non-shielded enemies. Whatever kills stuff the fastest is what I use. :p

The key is toi just use a kinetic weapon until a shielded enemy appears (you'll get used to which ones have shields and you'll swap without thinking) to drop the shield and then switch back to kinetic. Depending on the event I switch my element for the most effective one. Arc for fallen captains, solar for cabal centurions, void for vex minotaurs, solar for taken captains, arc for hive knights, solar for hive wizards. It really just depends on what will be the most efficient for me at the time. Usually I just use arc for fallen, solar for cabal, and void for vex because the most common shielded enemies use those elements. I know people who don't bother with this and just run with whatever element and don't worry about trying to trigger the explosion for matching elements.

Oct 20, 2005
Aikouka, one thing necessary to enjoy Destiny, is that you need to like/enjoy FPS/gunplay. That's one main aspect of this game.

Also, at your level, the tough yellow mobs aren't going to do much more than have more health and hit harder. But once you start doing strikes, nightfall, and raid, there are actual mechanics you need to worry about. Maybe not quite as difficult as WoW raids, but still more than just shoot a bullet sponge.

Also, grinding for gear is probably the number aspect of this game. You want to get the best gear for PvE and PvP.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Yes, I believe Uriel's is just an RNG drop (i've only ever gotten 2). However, I think Anubis is saying that just because you are 305, doesn't mean you have everything. In fact, a 270 player may have more weapons at their disposal than a 305.

this is what im saying. i have 300 or so hours on the console and don't have everything however i got my first of 9 urials at like 220. i got about 15 exotics before i hit level cap
it took me something like 50 crucible games with 3-5 of the crucible weeklys to get better devils on the console. i got 2on PC in 10 min. 1 from a game and 1 from the weekly turn in (sub lvl 225)

rng is rng, sometimes you win sometimes you lose

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
this is what im saying. i have 300 or so hours on the console and don't have everything however i got my first of 9 urials at like 220. i got about 15 exotics before i hit level cap
it took me something like 50 crucible games with 3-5 of the crucible weeklys to get better devils on the console. i got 2on PC in 10 min. 1 from a game and 1 from the weekly turn in (sub lvl 225)

rng is rng, sometimes you win sometimes you lose

I always lose it seems. Well, in the end I have every exotic for my characters and all the main weapons I want at 305(some multiples). However for a long time I was hunting for Celestial Nighthawk for my hunter and I must have gotten 30 duplicates of stuff I had already and just couldn't seem to get it. Almost gave up looking for it since sometimes I got 2-3 of the same item back to back from multiple engrams lol.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Aikouka, one thing necessary to enjoy Destiny, is that you need to like/enjoy FPS/gunplay. That's one main aspect of this game.

Also, at your level, the tough yellow mobs aren't going to do much more than have more health and hit harder. But once you start doing strikes, nightfall, and raid, there are actual mechanics you need to worry about. Maybe not quite as difficult as WoW raids, but still more than just shoot a bullet sponge.

Before I lost about 10 years of my gaming life to WoW, I tended to play a lot of shooters... namely games like Starsiege Tribes, Quake III Arena, Rainbow Six, and Unreal Tournament 2004. (Which one of those doesn't belong? :p) I guess WoW just gave me a desire for certain aspects of complexity in my games, which is why I preferred my Shaman to have more abilities as it kept me more engaged. That's what makes me wince at the idea of boss battles mostly consisting of holding down LMB. I brought up Borderlands a bit, but to be honest, that's all that Borderlands turns into at the higher playthroughs.

Also, grinding for gear is probably the number aspect of this game. You want to get the best gear for PvE and PvP.

Yeah, when I started getting gear that had the same name as what I had but maybe +1 defense, I got the idea that this was more of a "Shooter-Looter". :p

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, when I started getting gear that had the same name as what I had but maybe +1 defense, I got the idea that this was more of a "Shooter-Looter". :p

It is a shooter-looter, 100% but wait until you get to the raid. There are some absolutely fun mechanics, this is coming from someone who also spent 10 years in high level raiding in WoW. The first 3 encounters there isn't what would normally be considered a boss mob.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Well, when you have an established universe with alien races that have some established lore and you didn't kill off in the first game, you aren't going to throw them away. Plus there are changes to many of the races. There are new movement mechanics, new classes of fallen and cabal like the wretch and flame thrower guys(i forget their name at the moment), variations on the vex enemies etc.

It just lacks the freshness of D1. I played a ton of that when it first came out because it felt new and had enemy types I hadn't really seen before. I have less incentive to play D2 because I've already blown up 50 walking tanks and probably thousands of servitors. It just feels like a lot of what you actually do in the game was copied and pasted from the first one.

Lore is no excuse because it's all made up anyway. "The vex left the galaxy because they were boring to fight, err, I mean because they foresaw the blah blah something about Light. Anyway, check out these new aliens!"

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It just lacks the freshness of D1. I played a ton of that when it first came out because it felt new and had enemy types I hadn't really seen before. I have less incentive to play D2 because I've already blown up 50 walking tanks and probably thousands of servitors. It just feels like a lot of what you actually do in the game was copied and pasted from the first one.

Lore is no excuse because it's all made up anyway. "The vex left the galaxy because they were boring to fight, err, I mean because they foresaw the blah blah something about Light. Anyway, check out these new aliens!"

Yeah but no they aren't going to write the vex out because they already established that they transformed certain worlds to make them habitable for them.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Yeah but no they aren't going to write the vex out because they already established that they transformed certain worlds to make them habitable for them.

I was using an extreme example, but there are easy ways to shake things up more than they did. The vex are robots, have them upgrade their equipment in response to the ass whooping I gave them in the last game. Anyone here could come up with 10 minor changes that would freshen up combat with lower level enemies.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was using an extreme example, but there are easy ways to shake things up more than they did. The vex are robots, have them upgrade their equipment in response to the ass whooping I gave them in the last game. Anyone here could come up with 10 minor changes that would freshen up combat with lower level enemies.

Well, they did that already. Some vex have different weapons than they did in the first game and the harpies can have arc overshields now. While I get what you are saying, there are actual adjustments and additions to the PvE enemy types.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
almost every time I have to go to Titan I whine and say I hate it but then I end up having a blast from all of the crossfire that's typically going on. last night HVT's kept popping in and out and players were running around everywhere trying to take them out. i also had one of the best dual walker events ever because there were like six of us trashing them hard. can't tell you how many times I've done that one but there's something so rewarding about smashing all those fallen baddies.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
almost every time I have to go to Titan I whine and say I hate it but then I end up having a blast from all of the crossfire that's typically going on. last night HVT's kept popping in and out and players were running around everywhere trying to take them out. i also had one of the best dual walker events ever because there were like six of us trashing them hard. can't tell you how many times I've done that one but there's something so rewarding about smashing all those fallen baddies.

I just feel that titan is too small and doesn’t have enough areas for public events. Earth and Nessus almost always have one starting somewhere.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's definitely smaller than the rest of the maps but it's also denser and more populated with less open space. It's still my least favorite but even IO is small in relation to Earth and Nessus. It's like 30% open space, 20% populated by enemies and the remaining 50% is all Pyramidion lol

I do kind of miss Mars and Old Russia from the first one, but definitely not Earth's moon that world sucked.