Despite still loving my (2013) Dell E6540. Next upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just Made Offer and won it for $35/shipped.
Good deal?

These $100 asking prices seem nuts,
considering you can get a whole laptop for like $300
Heck yeah man that's a great price good job! Most of them are going for $100+ on Ebay so for $35 shipped that was a no brainer to do the upgrade. Now you have two more cores and four extra threads.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hey I just had a thought and wanted to let you know before your new cpu comes. Save the i5 just in case you run into boot issues. Chances are you won't need it but just in case you need to do a BIOS update to get your machine to recognize the i7 you will need that i5 to update the BIOS.

Like I said I doubt that is the case because the E6540 shipped with the i7 from launch but I don't want you to do something crazy like remove the cpu and trash it or sell it before the i7 shows up only to see you run into issues and need the i5.

Also make sure you have some fresh tim on hand for when you need to reseat the heatsink.. Some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs might come in handy to. If the new i7 comes with some old nasty dried up tim still on it the alcohol will loosen the old tim without damaging the cpu it also evaporates quickly without leaving any residue.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Yea, I'll save the i5 until I know the i7 works.
I need to buy some TIM/paste.

Do you know what setting one needs to change on the BIOS, if it does not auto detect the i7?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yea, I'll save the i5 until I know the i7 works.
I need to buy some TIM/paste.

Do you know what setting one needs to change on the BIOS, if it does not auto detect the i7?
On my HP 8460P no BIOS change was needed. The BIOS and Windows 10 automatically picked up on the change without issue.
My son and I built a pc for him and I bought a Pentium G530 but later on we upgraded him to a i5-2500K. The BIOS and Windows 7 also automatically picked up on the change without issue.

Your Dell might be different but chances are good it will also pick up on the cpu change automatically with no manual input needed from you.

Here's a nice little 5 minute video I found on Youtube explaining the process of replacing the cpu on you E6540. I know the video is for the 6420 but disassembly is the same steps for your 6540.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Sounds good. Keep us in the loop when you get the new cpu and when you get it installed. I'll be honest I'm pretty excited to hear how it goes. It was so seamless on my HP 8460P I'm curious to find out if Dell is the same or if you run into any issues.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Windows auto detected it !
Happy $35 upgrade!

I did not have new thermal paste handy,
so I put back my i5 until I can get some.

KdQFx2h_Q9_IbLiiYz78JQ.png

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
That is fantastic man!!! I'm really glad to hear it worked. I'll be honest I was a little nervous that it wouldn't. Especially after I kinda turned you on to the whole idea of upgrading the cpu in the first place.:)

Anyway, get that tim ordered so you can get that i7 installed proper. Don't put it off either especially since you removed the i5 to see if the i7 would work. That's not good man get some tim before you burn that i7 up.

4 cores and 8 threads with 16gb of ram makes for a really stout laptop. Congrats on the successful upgrades!:cool:

Reactions: fire400

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
i5-4310M --> i7 4800MQ
2 cores --> 4 cores
4 threads --> 8 threads.

More L2/L3 cache, as well.

Seems like an upgrade!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
i5-4310M --> i7 4800MQ
2 cores --> 4 cores
4 threads --> 8 threads.

More L2/L3 cache, as well.

Seems like an upgrade!
Oh yeah definitely an upgrade. I think you even gained 300 Mhz on the top end to. Not bad at all for a $35 investment.:cool:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
There is a naming convention with the manufacturer's product lines that are a little somewhat difficult to follow sometimes.

1. HP Probook is a baseline model (huge downgrade of the elitebook)
2. Lenovo ThinkPad L series, non-X, generic Thinkpad Yoga (non-X) series are the downgrade of the T-series / X-series / P-series
3. Dell Latitudes are even trickier, they use numbering systems. You kind of have to look at the laptop to tell the difference with respect to the last product lines released of the predecessor/successors, the first MSRP price usually gives it away (not always), but the laptops will generally look much sleeker/attractive or have upgraded chassis points around the perimeters of the physical product, while offering more cutting edge technology (like higher-end IPS screens instead of TN panels or lower resolutions, however, the storage drive doesn't always give it away) - another thing on the Dell website if you buy new, is to keep searching for a similar model, some of the pricing/drop-down options are completely skewed and offer far fewer features/advantages for a more expensive Latitude of the same exact type/model.

If you're getting a replacement office laptop, I would only stick with the latter-flagship models from Dell, HP, Lenovo.
Business warranties on business products are far, far better than baseline consumer warranties as well.

The XPS line is a consumer line-up that boasts fun, radical features in attempts to compete with the HP Z books and HP Spectres and nearly all categories of Apple laptops, as an example.
XPS's are nice, but I wouldn't forfeit a Latitude for an XPS.

Also, the i7-4800MQ CPU architecture alone, will generally outperform any Intel 8th-gen i7 U-processor in overall office tasks and multitasking performance, even on M.2 NVME.
The i7-4800MQ is better equipped to feel more like a desktop replacement product than does the ultra-low voltage computing power of any U processors.
Excellent battery life on U processors, but performance hasn't been a whole lot better if you're expecting night/day performance-increase compared to a M-level processor from Intel generation 3 or 4. The Intel U-processor is generally designed to allow thinner chassis builds for laptops and supposedly quieter cooling system designs (varies greatly across different thermal engineering tactics paired with existing TDP).

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain that.
Sounds like XPS is more consumer level.
With Dell, I will stick with Latitude

If I go Lenovo, I will stick with T-series / X-series / P-series
What is the difference between these different series?

Ok, so M chips are good. U are not a big step ahead anyway.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Friend says he's got a Dell XPS 13.
What do you know about this line ?
I'll be honest I don't. I didn't even really know that much about your laptop until I did a quick google search and saw that the top end cpu in yours was a 4c/8t. That's the only reason I suggested it in the first place.haha
Sorry I can't be more help but I'm guessing if you get the model number from him you can easily do the same thing I did for you. Anyway, how's the i7 running? Did you ever get the tim ordered and the cpu installed?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
The used i7 ended up being flaky.
The laptop would freeze multiple times during login boot up.
I returned the i7 for a refund, and am back to the i5.
Yes, I used the paste.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Oh that's a bummer man. Sorry to hear it didn't work out.:disappointed: At least you were able to return it for a refund though.
I wonder what the issue was. Freezing on boot up suggests the cpu was overheating due to high load which would make sense because the OS is loading. I wonder if the i7 version had a different fan that allowed for better cooling under load. Hmmm, I guess it doesn't matter now anyway.

Best of luck to your friend. I hope he has better luck if he decides to do a cpu upgrade.

Take care

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm still using this laptop daily.
Now it's 7 years old!

I upgraded it to Win10.
That breathed new life with a fresh OS.
16GG RAM and SSD with Win10 is still a strong laptop.

It has blue screened a few times, and the rubber trim has peeled off
but it's still doing daily service.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I have a ridiculous Asus 144hz Gysnc raid nVME laptop, but it's enormous and not very convenient for most of what I do, so I actually use a Dell E6440 for most things :) Or is it a 6430? It's the one running Haswell 4th gen, currently an i5.

One of the cool things you can do with it is take the port meant for Intel WWAN/Wimax, and install an mSATA SSD for your boot drive. This let's you use the 2.5" bay for either another SSD, bulk storage HDD 1-4TB, or just nothing at all :)

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'm still using this laptop daily.
Now it's 7 years old!

I upgraded it to Win10.
That breathed new life with a fresh OS.
16GG RAM and SSD with Win10 is still a strong laptop.

It has blue screened a few times, and the rubber trim has peeled off
but it's still doing daily service.

It is probably a driver issue - a clean install of Win10 would likely solve your blue screen issues. Just let it find all the drivers it needs, then you can fill-in the oddball ones it doesn't have. Most of them will be things like drop sensors, card readers, express card slots, etc that you can usually live without (or can find drivers for via Google using the hardware IDs).

My daily laptop is a 10 year old Dell E4310 that was bought certified refurbished from Dell Outlet. Running Win10 Pro v1909 just fine on a 7200rpm spinner drive, though it finally looks like i am going to have to spring for a replacement battery soon .One of these days, maybe I'll even get around to upgrading it to an SSD. ;)

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Yes, it was a conflict with a program I wasn't even using.
I upgraded the version of the program and crashes are gone.
It's working flawlessly again.
Dude, spring $40 for an SSD already

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I've decided to revisit upgrading the CPU again.
16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, this thing is going strong.
I'll update the CPU and put a fresh Win10 on it.
Should be good for many more years before something fails or fries.